Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Pentax Shake Reduction

  1. #1

    Default Pentax Shake Reduction

    "The SR mechanism incorporated in the K100D is designed to minimize camera shake by oscillating the CCD image sensor vertically and horizontally at high speed using magnetic force, while adjusting the speed of oscillation in proportion to the amount of camera shake detected by a built-in sensor."

    Gotten this from the news release of the new Pentax K100D. And reading the review of the Pentax A10 with the same Shake Reduction mechanism, it seems that the image stabilizer Pentax is utilizing can only move the CCD vertically and horizontally. Could this be because it would infringe on KM's Anti-Shake patent(if it has one) if it were to allow the CCD to move in all directions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Catchment Area
    Posts
    2,441

    Default Re: Pentax Shake Reduction

    After KM, Pentax jumps into the vibration control on the sensor.

    But then, wonder when will Nikon and Canon join the party? My guess would be Nikon more willing to do so becos few of the Nikkor lenses got VR compared to Canon.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Pentax Shake Reduction

    Body VR + Lens VR. What happens?
    Videographer @ A Merry Moment

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Potong Pasir
    Posts
    540

    Default Re: Pentax Shake Reduction

    (VR)^2


    i always try to use shutter speed to reduce blur instead
    D70s-er Since 2005

  5. #5

    Default Re: Pentax Shake Reduction

    Quote Originally Posted by megascriler
    "The SR mechanism incorporated in the K100D is designed to minimize camera shake by oscillating the CCD image sensor vertically and horizontally at high speed using magnetic force, while adjusting the speed of oscillation in proportion to the amount of camera shake detected by a built-in sensor."

    Gotten this from the news release of the new Pentax K100D. And reading the review of the Pentax A10 with the same Shake Reduction mechanism, it seems that the image stabilizer Pentax is utilizing can only move the CCD vertically and horizontally. Could this be because it would infringe on KM's Anti-Shake patent(if it has one) if it were to allow the CCD to move in all directions?


    if you can move vertically and horizontally, isn't that enough? basically you can compensate for all shake with some combination of vertical and horizontal vectors.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Pentax Shake Reduction

    think canon have said they are reviewing the technology, but so far they havent got big feedback from their pro users that they want it...

    think it has something to do with increased vignetting on the FF cameras..

    seeing as sony are bringing it out on their DSLR... guess will have to wait and see if the big 2 make the move..

    but given that the technology has been around a bit now and doesnt seem to have hurt their sales.. wouldnt hold my breath.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Pentax Shake Reduction

    I am skeptic about Sony. Remember how they dump palmOS PDA and mini tablet PC?

    Regards,
    Arto.

  8. #8
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Pentax Shake Reduction

    Those who are technically inclined can take a look at Pentax's patent application here:

    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...FD83A23C057649

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Catchment Area
    Posts
    2,441

    Default Re: Pentax Shake Reduction

    Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    think canon have said they are reviewing the technology, but so far they havent got big feedback from their pro users that they want it...

    think it has something to do with increased vignetting on the FF cameras..

    seeing as sony are bringing it out on their DSLR... guess will have to wait and see if the big 2 make the move..

    but given that the technology has been around a bit now and doesnt seem to have hurt their sales.. wouldnt hold my breath.
    I guess with the APS size sensor, the mass and size to move is much smaller than a FF sensor.

    As for hurting sales, what if Nikon takes the plunge first, the equation would be entirely different.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Pentax Shake Reduction

    Quote Originally Posted by zcwnfx
    (VR)^2


    i always try to use shutter speed to reduce blur instead
    Try handholding a waterfall shot where you want the motion blur of the water? Or a dance where you want to capture the motion blur?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Pentax Shake Reduction

    Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    After KM, Pentax jumps into the vibration control on the sensor.

    But then, wonder when will Nikon and Canon join the party? My guess would be Nikon more willing to do so becos few of the Nikkor lenses got VR compared to Canon.
    It's easy to talk about it but for the same vibration, a different lens would give different amount of image shift. It is better for the VR mechanism in the lens for 3 reasons. 1) You won't need a larger image circle than necessary, 2) the VR can be customised for the lens, 3) in the lens, only a small piece of optics need to be moved so it is more power efficient and because of the size/mass, the VR can react faster.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 29th May 2006 at 12:09 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •