Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to 100% crop in CS2

Default Re: how to 100% crop in CS2

hi clockunder, this is not exactly what I am looking for. I wanted an unresized region specified in pixels. your method produces an unresized picture with indeterminate pixel size depending on the cropping box. this is useful if you want to select a crop area of the picture without sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder
    If you want 100% crop (i.e. just a crop of original picture and no resizing), then only specify the width and height (in inches for the wanted ratio) but leave the resolution (pixel per inch) box blank :

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....84&postcount=4
    er, if you do that, you are not going to have a 100% crop...you are going to crop to a specific image size at a specific image ratio but at some arbitrary resolution...

100% crop is when the image you see on the screen represents a 100% zoom of the image...that is, the file resolution is at screen resolution (72 or 96dpi, depending on monitor)...follow the marquee method
    Last edited by theRBK; 23rd May 2006 at 11:42 AM.

If you want 100% crop (i.e. just a crop of original picture and no resizing), then only specify the width and height (in inches for the wanted ratio) but leave the resolution (pixel per inch) box blank :

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....84&postcount=4
    i think it will only work if you specify the width and height in pixels...since the pixel dimension of your image is constant regardless of resolution.

I think both ways have their own uses.

For clockunder's method, its more for general purpose use like cropping a landscape picture. You view the whole picture as a whole and just crop accordingly to the aspect ratio set. You can't possibly use the marquee method with fixed size to do it, however u can use it with the fixed aspect ratio. But with the 'fixed aspect ratio' marquee method, u cannot adjust the box once u hv drawn the rectangle and u cannot rotate the box. U also have to goto image-->crop. Much more mouse movement and clicks needed.

Crop tool is more flexible and convenient in that sense. You set an aspect ratio, for eg 3:2 with the resolution blank. Drag the box to cover what u want and rotate. Double click and there u have a 100% crop.

Anyway, for marquee method with fixed size, only if u want to present a neat (ie all same pixel size) 100% crops, then u'll use it. Otherwise, I see no purpose in using it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wong1979

For clockunder's method, its more for general purpose use like cropping a landscape picture. You view the whole picture as a whole and just crop accordingly to the aspect ratio set. You can't possibly use the marquee method with fixed size to do it, however u can use it with the fixed aspect ratio. But with the 'fixed aspect ratio' marquee method, u cannot adjust the box once u hv drawn the rectangle and u cannot rotate the box. U also have to goto image-->crop. Much more mouse movement and clicks needed.

Crop tool is more flexible and convenient in that sense. You set an aspect ratio, for eg 3:2 with the resolution blank. Drag the box to cover what u want and rotate. Double click and there u have a 100% crop.

Anyway, for marquee method with fixed size, only if u want to present a neat (ie all same pixel size) 100% crops, then u'll use it. Otherwise, I see no purpose in using it at all.
    Thread starter was asking for 100% crop method

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    Thread starter was asking for 100% crop method
    ok, just to illustrate more points. at 1st, i didn't realise that he was actually asking for a 100% crop with a fixed size. thought it was just a 100% crop. anyway, i learnt something new here

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    hi clockunder, this is not exactly what I am looking for. I wanted an unresized region specified in pixels. your method produces an unresized picture with indeterminate pixel size depending on the cropping box. this is useful if you want to select a crop area of the picture without sizing.
    Ok now I understand what you meant by "fixed pixels".

Yes, as someone pointed out, use the Marquee tool and specify fixed size as "style".

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    er, if you do that, you are not going to have a 100% crop...you are going to crop to a specific image size at a specific image ratio but at some arbitrary resolution...

100% crop is when the image you see on the screen represents a 100% zoom of the image...that is, the file resolution is at screen resolution (72 or 96dpi, depending on monitor)...follow the marquee method
    Using the crop tool without specifying the resolution does give a 100% crop. If don't believe, try out yourself by viewing at "actual pixel".

Using the crop tool without specifying the resolution does give a 100% crop. If don't believe, try out yourself by viewing at "actual pixel".

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    i think it will only work if you specify the width and height in pixels...since the pixel dimension of your image is constant regardless of resolution.
    It will get 100% crop but just that it's not what threadstarter wants because he wants a "fixed no. of pixels and yet without resize".

Once you specify the resolution, there will be resizing if the crop area does not have the "fixed pixels" the threadstarter wants. So the marquee tool is more suitable for threadstarter who basically wants just a fixed square/rectangle over the original image for cropping.

For me, in using the crop tool without specifying the resolution and pulling it over the original picture, I have a 100% crop (i.e. wiithout any resize) with what I want inclucded in the final composition at a certain aspect ratio before I appy all the necessary post-processing of the picture. After all the noise reduction, image adjustements etc., the I resize down to the necessary size (e.g. 600x400 pixels for webviewing), apply sharpening as the last step before adding borders.

If the original picture is 5MP at about 2560 x 1920 and if the person wants a 100% crop at a fixed size of 600x400 without resizing for posting on the web, then the marquee rectangle at 600x400 would be extremely small when compared to the original picture and the crop would be less than 5% of the original image.

If he wants 1600x1200 (or 1800x1200) 100% crop for printing, then the crop would be too big to be viewed comfortably on screen.

Yes, I finally understand what the threadstarter was asking. The crop tool does give 100% crop but he wants "fixed pixels without any resize". The crop tool doesn't give "fixed pixels" although it goes give 100% crop if the resolution is not specified. But then, I'm not sure why threadstarter wants "100% crop at fixed pixels without resize" because different mediums (print vs screen) would definitely require different no. of pixels.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 23rd May 2006 at 04:29 PM.

very important when trying to compare two images and you want them the same size at 100%.

you guys are lovely. thanx for the humongous discussion (man what did I miss for being stuck in a jet for 4 hours) and I hope everyone learned something new. I learned at least two new things, yay

It will get 100% crop but just that it's not what threadstarter wants because he wants a "fixed no. of pixels and yet without resize".

Once you specify the resolution, there will be resizing if the crop area does not have the "fixed pixels" the threadstarter wants. So the marquee tool is more suitable for threadstarter who basically wants just a fixed square/rectangle over the original image for cropping.
    think you are right. hehe..never tried the crop tool. been using the rect marquee all this while

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12