Thread: Canon S3 IS vs Fuji S5600 vs Kodak Z740

Default Help in choosing between Canon S3 IS, Fuji S5600 and Kodak Z740

Hi everyone,

Decided to try out digital photography, so looking at the 3 models:

Canon S3 IS, Fuji S5600 and Kodak Z740

Equivelant Lumix model is out cos i find the cam grip too small for me, i can only use my middle and fourth finger to grip ... little finger hanging out, v. uncomfortable.

As for the 3 models, 10x optical zoom is sufficient, so S3's 12x optical zoom not critical.

For Fuji S5600, wats the xD-card about? Can i just use any SD card instead?

For Kodak Z740, anyone has feedback on how it performs w/o the image stabilizer?

Not much questions about S3 as i use the S2 IS in my office, but appreciate any feedback on it.

The intention is to use it for my backpacking trip to Europe, so would be mainly shots on scenery but also group photos. It is to supplement my FM2 (28-70mm) for tele shots, and for me to shoot more stuff and save on developing costs too, rather than lug many rolls of film back for developing.

No budget for DSLRs btw, so left with the 3 options. Appreciate your help.
    Last edited by Seng; 22nd May 2006 at 08:54 AM.

Default Re: Canon S3 IS vs Fuji S5600 vs Kodak Z740

Hi...

help appreciated.... anyone?

thanks

you can't use SD cards in xD card slot. They're different.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakz740/page12.asp

This is a review of the Kodak Z740. It's recommended by dpreview but reading the cons, it seems that it does not exactly suit the needs of a photographer if he were to explore further into photography.

The S3 IS is an excellent camera, there's also a new review on it on www.dpreview.com too.

But you should also consider the Fujifilm Finepix S5600 for it's great value for money. It even has a usable ISO 1600 option, in which you could use when you are taking some action photos. xD-cards are now also around the same price as SD cards. It does not have image stablizer though. Colour reproduction of Fujifilm camera's is also excellent. Canon S3 IS's movie mode can only record to a maximum of 8 minutes at the highest quality for it's movies but the S5600 can record up to 15 minutes on a 1GB card of equal movie quality.
    Last edited by megascriler; 23rd May 2006 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks mpenza... was still under the impression that SD can be used for xD slots. Thought xD = any prefix + D... so can use SD, AD, BD etc etc

Currently have a 1G normal speed SD card which doubles as my thumbdrive, so if need to buy extra xD card will be a big minus point.

Hi megascriler, thanks for the info. Didnt realise that S5600 does not have image stabiliser ... hmm.