Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: creativity in singapore

  1. #21

    Default Re: creativity in singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    When you're out
    You can be creative.
    Hehe ... in Singapore, you are out .... means you are out!
    When you are out, and try to be more creative ... u lagi more out!
    You can only be creative if you "cheong" oversea ......
    at least you still stand a good chance.
    always the Light, .... always.

  2. #22

    Default Re: creativity in singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    i beg to differ,

    acadamic qualifications are not the most important

    it is the portfolio and presentation that really matters.
    if all else are equal then the acadamic qualification will be taken into consideration.
    Hmmm if you read my post, that is what I am saying creativity is not measured by grades. Unfortunately to our govt, the very people who call the shots, base their their support and funding on grades and results. Which is why you have citeria for getting funding. And its true, no mistakes tolerated... one strike and you are out. This is Singapore.... Failure is deemed not as learning but as FAILURE.
    Last edited by centuryegg; 24th May 2006 at 04:26 PM.

  3. #23

    Default Re: creativity in singapore

    hey people, is it really that bad? do u all have personal experiences that show that e govt cannot tolerate mistakes made in e creative industry? i feel that there is nth wrong in making mistakes and you can even grow stronger from it and learn so much from it. i dont believe there r no second tries given. and more imptly, at least give it A TRY. you nv know how far u can excel. pple who really want to give it a shot in this industry ought to give it a shot. go explore e website. go see e kinds of projs they have taken on. go submit ur proposals. be bold. =)

  4. #24

    Default Re: creativity in singapore

    Good Lord. That site was throwing the word "creativity" around like it was a commodity.

    Waitaminit - it IS treating creativity like a commodity.

    Creativity isn't just producing artsy stuff. It's a lifestyle. A state of mind. The sooner they realize that "creativity" isn't just found in a theatre/museum/industry/etc. the faster they'll realize that you CAN'T TEACH/ENHANCE/MEASURE IT.

    Here's another word for them to learn: AVANT GARDE

    On the other hand, creativity shouldn't die just because it is managed or restricted. Truly creative individuals will FIND a way to express what's inside them, no matter what restrictions are applied. There was once this painter who was so poor he didn't have money to buy food, much less paint. He'd walk the streets at night picking up discarded cigarette butts so he could smoke to forget his hunger. To satisfy his creative urge, he'd collect old shirts from the garbage dumps and paint on them using his own BLOOD. His creations were so moving they helped spark a rebellion. Now he is a national hero. Those "anti-creative" conditions he had to bear are far worse than what Singaporeans are facing now, and yet he came up with such compelling work.

    Government or no government, whatever the situation, true creativity manifests itself. Keep that in mind, people - now go out and make kickass creations

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: creativity in singapore

    To me creativity is about nourishing our souls
    for without it life has no meaning.

    Constantly behaving that you are working very
    hard isn't going to bring dialogue to the soul and
    very soon you'll realise that it is indeed a must to
    make time to relax and play.

    Continuous absence to being not aware of the
    higher perspective provided by the ultimate will
    result in the creative process shriveled.



    ---------------------------------------------
    Isn't it that creativity is
    what makes life worth living
    and living for others as well?

    Creativity starts when you consciously work with
    whatever challenge you have at the moment.

  6. #26

    Default Re: creativity in singapore

    Hey guys and gals, why are we venting hot air and energy in the time and effort arguing here?

    Lets not be so bothered whether government and regulations can generate creativity. The point here, specifically with the Creative Community Singapore (CCS), is that the government is willing to support creative people to become successful.

    And there are certainly creative people here. So why dont we look at it positively and see how we can exploit the funds - $10m in 3 years, of which 1 year is gone - and organisation put in place, to see how we can best benefit from it.

    Maybe we should get together to share ideas and thoughts, with the aim to secure funding for some proposal.

    And maybe that is a more fruitful thing to do than just argue here. Also do we not want to justify to ourselves all the time and money spent on this "hobby"? If we can make our hobby our work why not?
    Last edited by espion; 25th May 2006 at 09:41 AM.

  7. #27

    Default Re: creativity in singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by espion
    Hey guys and gals, why are we venting hot air and energy in the time and effort arguing here?

    Lets not be so bothered whether government and regulations can generate creativity. The point here, specifically with the Creative Community Singapore (CCS), is that the government is willing to support creative people to become successful.

    And there are certainly creative people here. So why dont we look at it positively and see how we can exploit the funds - $10m in 3 years, of which 1 year is gone - and organisation put in place, to see how we can best benefit from it.

    Maybe we should get together to share ideas and thoughts, with the aim to secure funding for some proposal.

    And maybe that is a more fruitful thing to do than just argue here. Also do we not want to justify to ourselves all the time and money spent on this "hobby"? If we can make our hobby our work why not?

    Pardon me for saying this, but if one is already thinking about success in tangible terms, you would probably end up restricting creativity in a box.......

  8. #28

    Default Re: creativity in singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by blessedenise
    hey people, is it really that bad? do u all have personal experiences that show that e govt cannot tolerate mistakes made in e creative industry? i feel that there is nth wrong in making mistakes and you can even grow stronger from it and learn so much from it. i dont believe there r no second tries given. and more imptly, at least give it A TRY. you nv know how far u can excel. pple who really want to give it a shot in this industry ought to give it a shot. go explore e website. go see e kinds of projs they have taken on. go submit ur proposals. be bold. =)

    this might not be in the creativity circle, but read the sports page and you will see, either Gold, or Go

  9. #29

    Default Re: creativity in singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by espion
    Hey guys and gals, why are we venting hot air and energy in the time and effort arguing here?

    Lets not be so bothered whether government and regulations can generate creativity. The point here, specifically with the Creative Community Singapore (CCS), is that the government is willing to support creative people to become successful.

    And there are certainly creative people here. So why dont we look at it positively and see how we can exploit the funds - $10m in 3 years, of which 1 year is gone - and organisation put in place, to see how we can best benefit from it.

    Maybe we should get together to share ideas and thoughts, with the aim to secure funding for some proposal.

    And maybe that is a more fruitful thing to do than just argue here. Also do we not want to justify to ourselves all the time and money spent on this "hobby"? If we can make our hobby our work why not?
    I agree with that.
    Are people speaking out of personal experience here or are we just speaking in general terms?

    It's no point arguing here. while you're arguing here tons of people are busy creating things on their own initiative.

    If you really need cash to fund your creativity there are various foundations such as National Arts Council, Lee Foundation, Shaw Foundation, CCS(recently), and also various commercial entities that do support the arts such as UOB and Canon, among others. It's a matter of you creating work strong enough and taking the initiative to knock on doors.

  10. #30

    Default Re: creativity in singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonnew
    Pardon me for saying this, but if one is already thinking about success in tangible terms, you would probably end up restricting creativity in a box.......
    You are right in the most general and also individualistic sense. But I am not thinking that way. An artist needs support to be successful.

    Smoking left over cigarette butts to kill the pangs of hunger and painting with own blood on thrown away clothes is not the only way to be creative certainly.

    Sure an artist is to be free and unbounded in his creativity. But certainly if there are others, with him and for him, to promote, market, to finance, and to commercialise his works, it can only lead to greater and more diverse opportunities for him to be truly free and creative, and also for others to benefit from his talents both spiritually and perhaps also financially.

    Artist and musicians in the past have all relied on patronage to continue being living and healthy artists. Not every artist need to be a tragedy, whose life ends prematurely, and whose works and potential incompletely fulfilled.

    Also there may be potential artists around in our midst who are not so simply for real and practical reasons of livelihood.

  11. #31
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: creativity in singapore

    an artist with that kind of bg is surely more interesting to the media
    and if he/she is able to create works from his/her experiences it would surly be a sight to see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •