Thread: Need Help in planning a self-drive trip in sydney and melbourne

Default Need Help in planning a self-drive trip in sydney and melbourne

Hi fellow clubsnapper,

At last, i got the money to go sydney and melbourne. I will self drive for the first time.

I have some worries which i hope some can help.

1. Where to get driving maps? Do i get them in SG? If so , where to get?

2. Where to get driving maps for interstate travel? I need to travel from sydney to melbourne. Is the coastal road the shortest path?

3. Any place of interest to recommend for photo-taking of landscapes.

thanks people...

Default Re: Need Help in planning a self-drive trip in sydney and melbourne

Using a GPS with a built in map of Australia would be good, provided you can beg/steal/borrow one. Alternatively there is an Australian website,http://www.whereis.com that is very good for planning your route provided you have a rough itinerary. You can basically print it out, but as it is not a full map, it doesn't allow for impromptu deviations off your planned travel.

2. Where to get driving maps for interstate travel? I need to travel from sydney to melbourne. Is the coastal road the shortest path?

There is an inland route which is shorter.

Anywhere along the route. I have not driven Sydney to Melbourne before, but if the rest of the country is anything to go by, you will be seeing a lot of scenery even just on the roadside. The inland route through Canberra crosses the Great Dividing Range, which has some pretty nice mountainous scenery, as well as ski resorts in the winter months. For the other locations in and around Sydney and Melbourne you can probably do a search on these forums for suggestions of places to visit.

Hey,

I just went sydney sometime in june last year! Was a backpacking trip. Actually for sydney, not really necessary to do self-drive as the public transport system is really quite well developed already. And further you don't hafta worry bout parking and the haphazard driving in sydney itself. But you might consider self-drive from sydney to melbourne.

As for places of interest, not much landscape photography opportunities within Sydney itself, but you might want to check out the beaches (bondi, manly and coogee i think), which are always great for beach scenery. Gotta try out one of the many trails they have along the beaches, i went for the bondi beach trail, and the scenery is great.

Other places worth visiting in/around sydney,
    - The rocks market
    - aquarium
    - darling harbour
    - Sydney fish market (for cheap and good seafood)
    - featherdale wildlife park in blacktown
    - blue mountains and the jenolan caves

Basically just enjoy the atmosphere, food and life there. Great place to visit.
    Last edited by phantasia; 21st May 2006 at 04:07 PM.

Rent a car with GPS, you cant get lost with it. Halfway see nice scenaries, can just de-tour and after that, it will still guide you to where you planned to go! Great gadget to have on a tour like this!

Hi,

If you can't do the GPS idea, find the nearest newsagent and buy a UBD !

That will give you all the road information you should need.

Actually, the people you rent the car from might be able to help there.

If you do get the map or GPS situation worked out to your liking, still try this ....

When ever you have to stop for petrol or simply a leak or something to eat, ask the people you meet what is the best (most interesting) way to get where you are going.

There are many people in smaller towns that are proud to direct you to some great places that are unique to them.

This will usually involve a detour from the general direction, but it will be worth it.

You can always back-track and carry on from that detour (after going Wow and taking shots )

Obviously make shure that they know you are not going 4 wheel drive

But instead of going straight along the highway from point A to B, you will find some very interesting places that the casual tourist won't get to see.

Take your time

Have much fun and show us your photo's
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by song
    Hi fellow clubsnapper,

At last, i got the money to go sydney and melbourne. I will self drive for the first time.

thanks people...
    Hi song,

Will u be renting a car, or friend's car? If u are renting, the car rental company should provide the melway if in Melbourne (Sydney will have their own ____way I believe). Else, ur friend should have one 'cos most resident who drive tend to have one.

Interstate travel should be quite easy 'cos there will be lots of signboard along the way.. u just have to be careful in entering and exiting the correct highways. If in doubt or loss, stopby any petrol station or fast food along the way and ask.. u'll find many drivers travelling interstate too.

Not sure of Sydney, maybe Blue Mountain. In Victoria, you may want to check out Great Ocean Road, Philip Islands, and if it is during winter, Mt Buller or Falls Creek.

If u travel during winter, be careful while u drive interstate, 'cos the road can be very slippery, especially after rain or at night.

Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by song
    Hi fellow clubsnapper,

thanks people...
    If you are first timer driving in Australia then better be extra careful when driving because of not familiar with the road condition there could be dangerous.

After sight seeing in sydney you can take their internal Flight from sydney to melbourne (about 3 hours) and is quite cheap. Driving is quite tiring for long distant.

In Melbourne then you can rent car from there and go sight seeing.

The cheapest car rental there is http://www.budget.com.au Road map is provide when ask

check this out also http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=186145

have a nice trip.