Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Table layout software

Default Re: Coffe Table layout software

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Actually I am of the view that FotoHub qualifies as a rather pro lab
    That they are, no contest! Quality is up there with the best. What I meant is perhaps better phrased as "consumer/prosumer-ORIENTED lab". My experience (long ago) of some "pro" labs was that if you weren't a regular or "real" professional photographer, service was bad and you get treated like an idiot to boot. FotoHub has always been customer-oriented with service hard to find anywhere else in the retail industry, let alone photo labs. Been a customer since 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by DerrickT
    Sorry though...

Need some advise. I can put pics as background just by clicking open->image.
    But how to put pics as layers?
    Hi

I'm also a newbie at using PS. and I have the same problem as Derrick. I follow the steps recommended, set the dimensions for the new document but I can't seem to be able to open seperate images as layers, not to mention re-sizing them and putting them side by side. Can some kind-hearted PS-savvy CSer help? Am attempting to create the 1st photo-story ever..

Thanks.

Open each image in PS, then drag and drop the image (with cursor tool) onto the composite image file's window. The image will appear as a new layer.

Very informative thread. Thanks to the threadstarter and those who replied.

Quote Originally Posted by athlete
    Check this out. We can personalise our photobook with our favourite pictures and bind them in hard covers. All of which will be professionally printed on photo paper.

Fotohub Home
    didn't see the pricing stated online...

Default Re: Coffee Table layout software

The easiest way to do coffeetable layouts is to use Indesign CS2 as it provides the flexibility for multiple pages and provides for a pdf workflow that avoids font related issues. Not that Photoshop can't be used but it is primarily an image editing software, not a page layout program as it has no provision for bleeds nor crop marks and cannot handle multiple page layouts. Laying out in layers in Photoshop can lead to hugh file sizes and is not ideal.

Vector based software like Freehand can also be used as well. Illustrator can be used to do layouts but you'll have difficulty for multiple page layouts.

In other words, do your photo editing using Photoshop first and place those images in Indesign or Freehand for your layouts. Save as native file format or as a pdf document and you're ready to pass it on to any printer.

Coffee table books using digital offset press aren't really that expensive if you know how to do the production management and know where to source out. And you don't need to print large print runs. I should know as I'm in the print business.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff
    The easiest way to do coffeetable layouts is to use Indesign CS2 as it provides the flexibility for multiple pages and provides for a pdf workflow that avoids font related issues. Not that Photoshop can't be used but it is primarily an image editing software, not a page layout program as it has no provision for bleeds nor crop marks and cannot handle multiple page layouts. Laying out in layers in Photoshop can lead to hugh file sizes and is not ideal.

Vector based software like Freehand can also be used as well. Illustrator can be used to do layouts but you'll have difficulty for multiple page layouts.

In other words, do your photo editing using Photoshop first and place those images in Indesign or Freehand for your layouts. Save as native file format or as a pdf document and you're ready to pass it on to any printer.

Coffee table books using digital offset press aren't really that expensive if you know how to do the production management and know where to source out. And you don't need to print large print runs. I should know as I'm in the print business.
    Totally agree with you. Even if you have a uber computer that can handle a 12x24" document at 300dpi with 15 layers, being able to print fonts that looks SHARP is going to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz
    Informative & interesting thread..really learn some good stuff here.

As for the printing, any good recommendations of vendors in Singapore?
    Heyy... can try Ad-Imaging Pte Ltd
    http://www.adimaging.com.sg

I used it to print my portfolio... very reasonable rates and great print quality.

Cheers
    QX

Go Indesign.. you can't really go wrong with it. indesign is currently THE layout software, just like how photoshop is THE image editing software. That's what many pros use anyway.

Apple ibook is one option. I try using it two weeks ago at the apple shop. easy to use.

InDesign CS 2 + Photoshop CS 2 = killer combo for layout professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Actually I am of the view that FotoHub qualifies as a rather pro lab
    +1

Smile Re: Coffee Table layout software

I came across this place in the other forum:
    www.pixart.com.my

I have download their software to do some layout design, but haven't chance to upload it back for printing. Their price looks very competitive, both offset printing & photo quality story books. Anyone had tried may like to share your experience.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    InDesign CS 2 + Photoshop CS 2 = killer combo for layout professionals.
    not only Layout pros. designers, editors all use them...

hahaha.. i am using them for both my pro and "hobby" work...

but make sure ur system is good. if not it will be like crawling...........

Quote Originally Posted by fungoer View Post
    I came across this place in the other forum:
    www.pixart.com.my

I have download their software to do some layout design, but haven't chance to upload it back for printing. Their price looks very competitive, both offset printing & photo quality story books. Anyone had tried may like to share your experience.

Cheers!
    send them an email or skype them. They will guide u step by step to ftp the files over.
    Overall it is quite value for money, except I hope they have more choices for the covers.

hmm looks interesting lorz i realli need to edit my holiday photos.... *Sighs*
    i am not a GUY... erm ya...

May I know where can I buy coffee-table book?

Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    May I know where can I buy coffee-table book?
    buy coffeetable book ?!? u mean those empty ones, and u print and u stick on them ??

Riceball lor...

if not... u email me. i can do the coffeetable for you. what u need to do is send me the layouts and sit back and relax.

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    if not... u email me. i can do the coffeetable for you. what u need to do is send me the layouts and sit back and relax.
    must pay or not?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast