Thread: Which Compact Camera?

Default Which Compact Camera?

I am looking for a ultra compact camera and narrow myself to:

1. Sony T30
    2. Canon Ixus 800 IS

I would like to hear more inputs to help to identify the camera to get.

Other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks & regards,
    PPChen

Default Re: Which Compact Camera?

i'm also quite undecided between this 2 models. But you can take a look at the Canon section and Sony section in this forum. Both have threads on the Ixus800IS and the T-30.

From wat i've read, this is my opinion.

Ixus800IS:

Pros: Good picture quality, and to my opinion, is better than T-30, has manual shutter priority, and many fun features such as pic stiching and colour replacement (ie: change green soccer field to red field), a battery life of 320 shots (according to latest review by local user), has 4X optical zoom.

Cons: a very very big flaw of canon is that it doesn't have a battery indicator!! if it has, i'll be a proud owner of a Ixus800IS with no doubt, and the cam is on a heavy side of 165g as compared to 130g of T-30?

T-30:

Pros: Aesthetics is good, 3" LCD screen with 200000+ pixels compared with only 173000 pixels for a 2.5" LCD of ixus800. But if u compare both side by side, not much diff. It has a slimer profile than Ixus800. The MS pro duo can be used to record 30fps video, while the canon requires a high speed SD card to do that.

Cons: no shutter priority, nightmode with high ISO isn't the way to go cos it'll result in lots of noise. The sliding of the lens cover is not as smooth as compared with T-9. Not much improvement over T-9 except the megapixels and higher internal memory.

this is just my 2 cents worth. Please continue to contribute or edit my errors. I'm also deciding if i should get the ixus800 or wait for newer canon models with the battery indicator ...

i would still go for the Fuji F11 because think the ISO 1600 feature is unbeatable in its class. it's small and compact and i would gladly trade the IS for it anytime. plus,according to some tests, the fuji f11 scores highly in the resolution department.

Thanks eric16 and isaiah for the inputs....

Anyone else?