Thread: A newbie question on filters

Default A newbie question on filters

Hi I am just curious.. What is the difference between a normal uv filter and a multi-coated one? Coz I was at this shop to get a filter for my lens. I was just going to get a normal Hoya UV filter but the shop assistant recommend me the hoya hmc filter instead. Said it is much better than normal uv filter. But the price is also more ex.. Issit worth the purchase? Any1 can advise? Thanks..
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

Deregistered

Default Re: A newbie question on filters

Quote Originally Posted by aaron80
    Hi I am just curious.. What is the difference between a normal uv filter and a multi-coated one? Coz I was at this shop to get a filter for my lens. I was just going to get a normal Hoya UV filter but the shop assistant recommend me the hoya hmc filter instead. Said it is much better than normal uv filter. But the price is also more ex.. Issit worth the purchase? Any1 can advise? Thanks..
    Think of the coating as the finishing on the glass. Better coating of course gives you better results. I would definitely go for a good coated filter. However, personally don't like the quality of Hoyas, I would prefer B+W or Nikon filters.

I see.. Thanks espn..

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Think of the coating as the finishing on the glass. Better coating of course gives you better results. I would definitely go for a good coated filter. However, personally don't like the quality of Hoyas, I would prefer B+W or Nikon filters.

Also, Hoyas are very difficult to clean. B+Ws are much much easier.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by aaron80
    HMC (Hoya multi coat) has about 97% light transmission
    Super HMC has about 99.7% light transmission.

If your lens is a fast lens I would recommend the HMC or better filter as it allows more light in.
    Last edited by smtan24; 19th May 2006 at 11:08 AM.

Wah..I dunno about that, thought its there just to protect the lens.. Thanks for the info smtan24..

Quote Originally Posted by smtan24
    HMC (Hoya multi coat) has about 97% light transmission
    Super HMC has about 99.7% light transmission.

If your lens is a fast lens I would recommend the HMC or better filter as it allows more light in.