Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling All Night Photographers

Default Re: Calling All Night Photographers

01. Mezzotint (TLR 120 & Nikon 35mm SLR)
    02. IRman
    03. denniskee (canon & pentax)
    04. leonwithphotos(film minolta)
    05. sORe-EyEz (35mm film slr)
    06. rebbot (120mm and 135mm) Hope I can make it for the outings as I can usually only make it on sundays
    07. sljm (Nikon film SLR)
    08. sweat100 (canon & lubitel TLR)

Hi, may i be able to join this too? Its a hard find to get people who are still into film. Nearly all my photography friends are into digital. A short intro about the films I use. I shoot on 35mm mainly. Occassionally i do 120 with my lubitel TLR.
    For B&W, I have used films mainly such as Tmax 100, 400, Tri X, HIE, Ilford Delta 3200, XP2, Fuji neopan 400, Lucky film 100, 400. For the last GE, i went to shoot with the 3200, the grains added mood to the picture.
    As for slides, so far i have tried velvia 50, 100, 100F, Provia 100F, 400F, sensia 200. Kodak E100G, 100VS, elitechrome. Velvia gives very saturated colours. I used them for macro shots. The grasshoppers against the green leaves looks so punchy and deep. I showed to one of my friend who have when the outing with me. He said the colours looked too good to be true.
    I develop and scan my B&W negatives and do contact printing with them. Doing darkroom yourself is a great experience.

First started doing photography with digital a few years back and have only moved to a little bit of film recently. Hence I'm pretty much a film newbie. However I have been (and still am) interested in night/ low-light (tripod/ handheld) photography, only that I've diverted my time into doing other kinds of photography in recent times.

With that said, I don't have much of a portfolio to show and have not yet developed a preference for any kind of film. However as and when I'm able to set aside time for an outing, I delight in long walks with short breaks in between.

One of my dreams is to take a star trail photograph. Getting a chance at the Northern Lights would be even better, but that's just a dream. I use a Canon F-1N (manual focus SLR from the 80s) and just about any film I can lay my hands on.

So I guess this doesn't make me 100% qualified, but I hope to tag along if everyone doesn't mind:

02. IRman
    06. rebbot (120mm and 135mm) Hope I can make it for the outings as I can usually only make it on sundays
    09. fWord (Canon 35mm SLR)

Quote Originally Posted by sweat100
    02. IRman

Hi, may i be able to join this too? Its a hard find to get people who are still into film. Nearly all my photography friends are into digital. A short intro about the films I use. I shoot on 35mm mainly. Occassionally i do 120 with my lubitel TLR.
    For B&W, I have used films mainly such as Tmax 100, 400, Tri X, HIE, Ilford Delta 3200, XP2, Fuji neopan 400, Lucky film 100, 400. For the last GE, i went to shoot with the 3200, the grains added mood to the picture.
    As for slides, so far i have tried velvia 50, 100, 100F, Provia 100F, 400F, sensia 200. Kodak E100G, 100VS, elitechrome. Velvia gives very saturated colours. I used them for macro shots. The grasshoppers against the green leaves looks so punchy and deep. I showed to one of my friend who have when the outing with me. He said the colours looked too good to be true.
    I develop and scan my B&W negatives and do contact printing with them. Doing darkroom yourself is a great experience.
    Hi sweat100, thanks for yr kind interest in joining this group.

It's good to know a new film user friend here. Based on yr intro, it occurs to me that you have never done night photography. Maybe you forgot to mention? If you're new and wanted to do & learn, you are definitely welcome to join us.

02. IRman
    10. bumortic (nikon F3, Fm, Holga, Coloursplash and pinhole.)

i mainly use expired slides and cross process them..

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    First started doing photography with digital a few years back and have only moved to a little bit of film recently. Hence I'm pretty much a film newbie. However I have been (and still am) interested in night/ low-light (tripod/ handheld) photography, only that I've diverted my time into doing other kinds of photography in recent times.

With that said, I don't have much of a portfolio to show and have not yet developed a preference for any kind of film. However as and when I'm able to set aside time for an outing, I delight in long walks with short breaks in between.

One of my dreams is to take a star trail photograph. Getting a chance at the Northern Lights would be even better, but that's just a dream. I use a Canon F-1N (manual focus SLR from the 80s) and just about any film I can lay my hands on.

So I guess this doesn't make me 100% qualified, but I hope to tag along if everyone doesn't mind:

02. IRman
    hi fWord, thanks for yr kind interest in joining the group.

You're welcome to join us as long you're a film user. Since you're a film newbie, you'll get to learn alot from the experienced users in this group, if you have the strong passion for films and strong will to learn.

yes u will definately learn a lot from these guys... film users are really people worth respecting...its a real challenge ....lets live up to the name of film ....
    leon's photography

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzotint
    Hi sweat100, thanks for yr kind interest in joining this group.

It's good to know a new film user friend here. Based on yr intro, it occurs to me that you have never done night photography. Maybe you forgot to mention? If you're new and wanted to do & learn, you are definitely welcome to join us.
    So far my night photography is cityscapes, fireworks that last until 10+. It would be a good experience to try those midnight outings. Guess photogrpahy is a never ending subject. I would definately need to learn more from people.

Quote Originally Posted by sweat100
    So far my night photography is cityscapes, fireworks that last until 10+. It would be a good experience to try those midnight outings. Guess photogrpahy is a never ending subject. I would definately need to learn more from people.
    I strongly agree that there's so much to learn abt photography and honestly speaking I'm still learning, be it film or digital. I'm not being contradict here as I mentioned digital photography. No one wants to fall back on the latest modern technology has to offer. It's just a continuing learning process as technology advances. There's no harm in learning both medium. One has to keep his mind open in order to improve. But howsoever when it comes to yr own personal work, it's yr choice of medium to use. For me, it'll always be film on first priority.

In spite of learning the technical aspects of photography, one learns to know and understand oneself and perhaps the way of life. After all photography is all abt self-expression. Photography is an art form i.e. visual communication and art is all around us, everywhere. It's part of our daily lives.

Night cityscapes and fireworks are the most common in night photography. Hope you can share with us yr hard-copy prints when we all meet up.

Cheers mate!
    Last edited by Mezzotint; 22nd May 2006 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bumortic
    02. IRman
    10. bumortic (nikon F3, Fm, Holga, Coloursplash and pinhole.)

i mainly use expired slides and cross process them..
    Hi bumortic,

I appreciate if you can answer some of my earlier questions on page 2 of this thread. Thanks.

To all the listed members,

I'd like to gather everyone for a meet-up on the following date and venue:

Date: 4 June 2006 (next Sunday)
    Time: 2-4pm.
    Venue: Funan DigitaLife Mall, basement food court

Please kindly let me know if you can make it via PM by next Wednesday, leaving yr real name, contact number and email address. It'll be my first time organising such gathering so i'll try to keep it as informal as possible.

A kind reminder: Do bring along yr masterpieces in hard-copy format, any size from 4R to S8R, to share with everyone and tell us more abt yr work. Looking forward to hear from u guys. Cheers!

Please kindly let me know if you can make it via PM by next Wednesday, leaving yr real name, contact number and email address. It'll be my first time organising such gathering so i'll try to keep it as informal as possible.

A kind reminder: Do bring along yr masterpieces in hard-copy format, any size from 4R to S8R, to share with everyone and tell us more abt yr work. Looking forward to hear from u guys. Cheers!

Aiya.. I can't make it to join you all on the date b'cos I will be in Malaysia.. by the time reach S'pore already very late liao... but can join you guys next time..

Smile Re: Calling All Night Photographers

Hi
    I am keen in night photography. Pls include me.
    Thanks

William
    jwteo8@gmail.com

If I print out the few pieces on my computer and bring them along it'd probably draw bigger laughs than a comedy would. Still learning, so I hardly have anything to show. But I regret not doing more night photography in the days when I was still in Melbourne...the riverside scene at Southbank is just so beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by JWT
    Hi
    I am keen in night photography. Pls include me.
    Thanks

William
    jwteo8@gmail.com
    Hi William,

Thanks for yr kind interest. My apology for neglected yr message. As you had mentioned that u're using DSLR. Unfortunately I have had stated clearly that this group is only for all film users who are active night photographers or would-be active night photographers. No prejudices and offenses towards digital users. I'm sorry abt not having you in the group. Good day.
    Last edited by Mezzotint; 27th May 2006 at 12:06 PM.

If I print out the few pieces on my computer and bring them along it'd probably draw bigger laughs than a comedy would. Still learning, so I hardly have anything to show. But I regret not doing more night photography in the days when I was still in Melbourne...the riverside scene at Southbank is just so beautiful.
    Hi fWord, please do not feel restricted or shy abt showing yr work. If you're an active night photographer and keen in learning more from the other guys, it'll be good to show us and that's where one will improve along the way. Don't you agree?

Hopefully thru this group's future outings and meetings, everyone gets to learn to make pictures and not take pictures. Everyone gets to learn the art of seeing and thru the process, develops one's own photographic style in night photography. Erm... sounds like a course or a workshop eh? Well perhaps in a way. I just wanna make it informal, just like friends or kakis going out for shooting. We learn thru the fun ways. That's more enjoyable.

My sincere apology to all regarding my full PM inbox. It's clear. Please keep that PM coming if you're keen in the meet-up session. Thank you for yr time and kind interest.

P.S. In case the same things happen, u can email to me: mezzotin@singnet.com.sg
    Last edited by Mezzotint; 27th May 2006 at 12:36 PM.

Hi fWord, please do not feel restricted or shy abt showing yr work. If you're an active night photographer and keen in learning more from the other guys, it'll be good to show us and that's where one will improve along the way. Don't you agree?

Hopefully thru this group's future outings and meetings, everyone gets to learn to make pictures and not take pictures. Everyone gets to learn the art of seeing and thru the process, develops one's own photographic style in night photography. Erm... sounds like a course or a workshop eh? Well perhaps in a way. I just wanna make it informal, just like friends or kakis going out for shooting. We learn thru the fun ways. That's more enjoyable.
    True there, though I better wear a mask there if I manage to go for the meeting. In this case, are digital photos presentable or must the photos be taken from a film camera only?

True there, though I better wear a mask there if I manage to go for the meeting. In this case, are digital photos presentable or must the photos be taken from a film camera only?
    Preferably photos taken on film. As we all know that in digital format, there are bound to be some post-processes. Howsoever at this point, tentatively, digital photos are fine as we can see on the photographer's art of seeing and his artistic viewpoints, besides technical aspects like exposure timing and shooting techniques, etc which all are just as important.

Dear friends,

Due to poor response (so far only 1 person) to the scheduled meeting and with respect to everyone's time and other commitments, I'd like to cancel the session. Thank you all for yr kind interests. Hopefully we can all meet up some day.

Cheers mates!

- Mezzotint

Dear friends,

Lately I have created a blog site of my own, all based on night photography. Do feel free to drop by and check it out. Hope to hear from the local night photographers.

Cheers mates!

- Mezzotint

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast