Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling All Night Photographers

Default Re: Calling All Night Photographers

hi Mezzotint, i m all game 4 long walks w/ short breaks in-between.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzotint
    hi leonwithphotos, denniskee and rebbot,
    May I know what films do u use? Fuji or Kodak or Ilford? B&W? Color negatives? Color slide films? How often do u go for night photography?

rebbot, Sunday nights are fine too which depends on the locations and it'll have to end early before 12midnite as most of us got work on the next day. At times I go on weekday nights after work but mostly on Sat nights. When there's a PH coming, I'll go on 2-3 consecutive nights e.g. if the PH falls on a Friday, I'll go out on Fri, Sat and even Sun night, if my energy level is still high. Well since I dun drive, I pre-planned my outings and there's a lot of walking involved. So it's pretty exhausting, especially when shooting the whole night till dawn, which depends on the progress. I can end early any time I want.

To all:

Pardon me as I did not stated clearly on the start of the thread.

My main purpose on this thread is to gather like-minded night photographers for regular small group outings (a group of 4 at a time depends on individual's time schedule) and discussions on the types of shooting technique, places to explore and make pictures. Of cuz not to forget abt sharing individual artistic/self expression thru night photography with everyone.

I will not be organising any outing at the moment but only for a couple of meet-ups to get to know each other and keeping in touch. At the same time we can showcase our early work to one another and we can learn from each other from there and during future outings. I'm sure we got lots to talk abt.

As we all are using films, we can meet up for photo-viewing sessions and even photo-critiques 1-2 weeks after each outing. Only when one has finished a roll or two of 35mm or 120 and I guess it'll be enuff time for d/o and print.

Guys, let me know what u think of this proposal? Thanks.
    Hi Mezzotint,

I was using Tmax in the past, am experimenting with Tri-x currently for B&W. For slides, I shoot sensia, provia and velvia. For color negatives, I usually use superia and am thinking of trying natura. I have not been doing much night photography actually but would like to do so.

Am keen to discuss, share and learn techniques from one another. That will be really nice! I'm game for it but I do have to see if I can make it as I am quite tied up with work most of the time during weekdays but am most willingly to try my best to meet up.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    hi Mezzotint, i m all game 4 long walks w/ short breaks in-between.
    Dun worry sore-eyez. You'll definitely get enuff short breaks in between as we'll do more long exposures which may last from 1-30min which depends on yr film speed and the aperture u set. Hopefully there's a member who drives and doesn't mind driving around the island. Then we can go to desolate places but not haunting grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    Hi Mezzotint,

I was using Tmax in the past, am experimenting with Tri-x currently for B&W. For slides, I shoot sensia, provia and velvia. For color negatives, I usually use superia and am thinking of trying natura. I have not been doing much night photography actually but would like to do so.

Am keen to discuss, share and learn techniques from one another. That will be really nice! I'm game for it but I do have to see if I can make it as I am quite tied up with work most of the time during weekdays but am most willingly to try my best to meet up.

Cheers!
    Thanks rebbot for sharing. Currently I'm using TMAX and will like to try out Ilford XP2, HP5 Plus and Delta400. Recently I'm into nocturne photography and I use Kodak Ektachrome E100GX slide film which my friend gave it to me. Haven't try Sensia, Provia and Velvia before but I dun think it's ideal as Fuji films tend to have a green color cast on exposures. Well unless a color-correction filter lens is used. I read from a source that Kodak E100VS has little reciprocity failure. The VS produces amazingly saturated colors. The drawbacks of this film are that you lose the sense of night as the images look like daylight shots due to long exposure timing. The other problem is with shooting in urban conditions where man-made light sources will shift colors turning yr images a murky green or brown.

Hopefully you can make time to meet up first to get to know other photographers and we can pick it from there.

Thanks rebbot for sharing. Currently I'm using TMAX and will like to try out Ilford XP2, HP5 Plus and Delta400. Recently I'm into nocturne photography and I use Kodak Ektachrome E100GX slide film which my friend gave it to me. Haven't try Sensia, Provia and Velvia before but I dun think it's ideal as Fuji films tend to have a green color cast on exposures. Well unless a color-correction filter lens is used. I read from a source that Kodak E100VS has little reciprocity failure. The VS produces amazingly saturated colors. The drawbacks of this film are that you lose the sense of night as the images look like daylight shots due to long exposure timing. The other problem is with shooting in urban conditions where man-made light sources will shift colors turning yr images a murky green or brown.

Hopefully you can make time to meet up first to get to know other photographers and we can pick it from there.
    Ah I have used provia and velvia for long exposures at night before and they seem to be pretty okay but do note that I have not done exposures for more than 1/2 minute before though. However I have seen examples where provia or velvia has been exposed for up to 2 minutes for a night scene and it looks pretty okay. Will try to see if I can dig up any examples. I have a roll of sensia that I used for a night walkaround at Esplanade and its surroundings but have yet to finish. Probably can see how it turns out.

I have used the 100VS before in the past but still prefer fuji colors somehow. Its a personal preference by the way.

Cheers!

Ah I have used provia and velvia for long exposures at night before and they seem to be pretty okay but do note that I have not done exposures for more than 1/2 minute before though. However I have seen examples where provia or velvia has been exposed for up to 2 minutes for a night scene and it looks pretty okay. Will try to see if I can dig up any examples. I have a roll of sensia that I used for a night walkaround at Esplanade and its surroundings but have yet to finish. Probably can see how it turns out.

I have used the 100VS before in the past but still prefer fuji colors somehow. Its a personal preference by the way.

Cheers!
    No comments on preferences.

I'd love to see yr work when we get to meet up. It's better to view in prints. Do you printed in glossy foto papers or matte? I can't show u any of my color work but I got B&Ws instead.

Btw how long have u been doing night photography? It seems u did mostly in colors. Any B&W?
    Last edited by Mezzotint; 19th May 2006 at 02:46 PM.

Smile Re: Calling All Night Photographers

Hi

I am interested in Night Photography. Dont have all the qualifications you listed. Would be glad to join in night shoot if you need ka-ki. I am using DSLR. Pls email me as appropriate.

William
    jwteo8@gmail.com

i am using 35mm film ,usually use kodak. i thought of starting colour slides soon
    dont know if u guys have experience in colour slides .i have been playing with my dslr recently so no time to use film....this will be a good time for me to bring back film

i was most active in night photography like 2 years ago.

weekends is ok with me. this month is most like;y free but i have some plans for short overseas trips and a bit of work . u guys see when to have outing then i will try to make it if theres no major job on for me....thanks
    leon's photography

Thanks for the response guys!

Well I'm not biased against using digital for night photography but I prefer film more for its unique results. Hope u can understand.

Btw zaxh81 & IRman, I'd appreciate if you guys can kindly indicate what camera and film you're using. Thanks.
    I will be using my FM2 and may be F4s , well the film will be my fav Kodak HIE to try out the night IR, to see what is the diff.

No comments on preferences.

I'd love to see yr work when we get to meet up. It's better to view in prints. Do you printed in glossy foto papers or matte? I can't show u any of my color work but I got B&Ws instead.

Btw how long have u been doing night photography? It seems u did mostly in colors. Any B&W?
    Really nothing great. Hahaha However I do not have many pictures in print. I do however have some scanned in my laptop. Will bring my laptop along if I manage to meet up with all of you. I have recently decided to try printing on art paper. If I get back any in time, I will bring them along as well.

You are right that I do not have much B&W work but am experimenting with them right now in pano format. Am excited to get back my first roll of tri-x 400. Will be glad to share them. Am still learning alot about B&W, would be good if you can drop a tip or 2.

I do not particularly do night photography but once in a while I do go for a walkaround for fun.

Cheers!
    Last edited by rebbot; 19th May 2006 at 10:46 PM.

me eos1v, pentax k1000, canonet. depending on the iso rating, i typically reserve the canonet if lazy to bring tripod and have iso400 or 800 film on hand.

tried velvia50, provia100 & e100vs, dont like them because i find it saturates the color too much to my liking. prefer sensia because more natural.

a fellow cser had passed me a couple rolls of e100vs (long expired but was kept in fridge all the time), intend to use them soon.

of late, have very little time to shoot due to work commitment.

used to shoot continously for 72hr for 1 solid year (friday to sunday, only go back home to take shower). can say i was once a extreme hardcore nuts.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by IRman
    I will be using my FM2 and may be F4s , well the film will be my fav Kodak HIE to try out the night IR, to see what is the diff.
    Hi IRman, or should I call you Darren?

Great to hear from you again. I know you're an expert on IR film and shooting in the night with IR film is pretty challenging, I guess. Would love to see the end results it produces.

Really nothing great. Hahaha However I do not have many pictures in print. I do however have some scanned in my laptop. Will bring my laptop along if I manage to meet up with all of you. I have recently decided to try printing on art paper. If I get back any in time, I will bring them along as well.

You are right that I do not have much B&W work but am experimenting with them right now in pano format. Am excited to get back my first roll of tri-x 400. Will be glad to share them. Am still learning alot about B&W, would be good if you can drop a tip or 2.

I do not particularly do night photography but once in a while I do go for a walkaround for fun.

Cheers!
    Yeah it'll be good to check out yr art paper prints, too. Taking B&W panoramics?! U mean using B&W films on pano camera like Horizon or X-pan? Day or night shots? You sure do have lotsa work to show us all, don't you? Would be glad if you can really share them with everyone.

anyone wanna go out for star trails?

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    me eos1v, pentax k1000, canonet. depending on the iso rating, i typically reserve the canonet if lazy to bring tripod and have iso400 or 800 film on hand.

tried velvia50, provia100 & e100vs, dont like them because i find it saturates the color too much to my liking. prefer sensia because more natural.

a fellow cser had passed me a couple rolls of e100vs (long expired but was kept in fridge all the time), intend to use them soon.

of late, have very little time to shoot due to work commitment.

used to shoot continously for 72hr for 1 solid year (friday to sunday, only go back home to take shower). can say i was once a extreme hardcore nuts.
    hi dennis, thanks for sharing.

i'm sure at times when night photographers keep shooting night pictures using tripod on long exposure timing, it comes the time when they wanna travel light and shoot with high film speed and fast lens. More like night street photography. I've tried once and failed miserably becuz I don't have a fast lens e.g. 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 on my FM10. I was using 35-70mm f/3.5 on Fuji Superia 1600 rated at 800 on the speed dial. Well I definitely need some expert's advises from you and the rest of the guys who are more experienced.

Using the right type of film for the right type of night shooting. Personally I find using slide (chrome) film for nocturne photography, serves the right purpose as it produces amazingly saturated colors to my lurid light-painting. Which of cuz I have to make the pictures in dark areas, away from urban man-made light sources. This is pretty challenging especially here in our motherland but I'm sure there are still some ideal places which I'm still looking out for.

I must say, shooting for 72hrs straight is pretty hard-core, dude. You must have drank lotsa of kopi-o, didn't you?
    Last edited by Mezzotint; 20th May 2006 at 10:14 AM.

hey..whats light painting? can post some examples?

Quote Originally Posted by surge
    hey..whats light painting? can post some examples?
    You can do a Google search on key words, "Nocturne" and "Light-painting" on yr own for more colorful examples. Thanks for yr kind interest.

Quote Originally Posted by bumortic
    anyone wanna go out for star trails?
    Hi bumortic, are you a film user and a serious night photographer?

Do you have any ideal places for taking star trails pictures? Correct me if I'm wrong. On this island, everywhere is man-made light source at night, even you're in a very dark places, there are still distant light sources that illuminate the sky on the horizon. Taking star trails picture is fun, well for the amazing result, but practically it requires lotsa of patience and individual perseverance and of cuz technically, with super long exposure timing which can lasts for several hours using low film speed.

Appreciate if you can share with us on yr night photographic experiences and ideas. Cheers mate!
    Last edited by Mezzotint; 20th May 2006 at 10:28 AM.

01. Mezzotint (TLR 120 & Nikon 35mm SLR)
    02. IRman
    03. denniskee (canon & pentax)
    04. leonwithphotos(film minolta)
    05. sORe-EyEz (35mm film slr)
    06. rebbot (120mm and 135mm) Hope I can make it for the outings as I can usually only make it on sundays
    07. sljm (Nikon film SLR)

hi sljm,

thanks for yr kind interest in joining the group. will u be kind enuff to spare some time, telling us more abt yr stuff i.e. how long have u been doing night photography, what film & ISO u use, yr personal film preference, how often u go for night shooting and where, etc.

hear u soon. cheers mate!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast