Thread: Tranquil Sunset

Default Tranquil Sunset

Any comments/critiques to improve gladly welcomed.

Default Re: Tranquil Sunset

titled 'Tranquil Sunset' ... but where's the sun?

problematic composition. the cable car tower shoots up on the right side with the boat shooting across to the left side at the bottom, splitting the viewers' attention out of the frame. nothing really interesting to lock the attention of viewers. the placement of Sentosa Visitor Arrival Centre on the left side and cropped away is a major distraction.

Yeah, where is the sunset? title is better than the pic in this case, just looks like a snap shot, maybe wait till it gets darker and get in a better position to be able to capture the sunset, also, the title implies that the sunset is the focal point and its not there. Agree with eikin, the boat and tower too distracting. Composition in this shot needs alot of work.

Hope you don't mind a redo on your picture based on just basic guidelines which I learned during my basic photography class.
    recrop to what I think is a better composition and setting the boat on the bottom right third as the boat is moving to the left the space on the left should be wider that the right.
    to accentuate the glowing sunset, go to photoshop and saturate the photo so that the sky is glowing red as your title says sunset.
    Hope this helps - just trying to be constructive.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for your comments, eikin & wildstallion. The way the shot has been composed does direct viewers' attention out of the picture.

Since we are on the topic of composition, do you think the below shot was better composed?

BTW, pse ignore the subject-header of this thread since as you have pointed out, it did not apply right from the onstart.

Hey Cecil! Thanks for your advice and effort! Guess we were both trying to post at the same time and that's why I noticed a longer than usual lag when posting my previous msg.

In my humble opinion, the comp. has improved as one of the distraction (i.e. the tower pointing out of the pic) has been eradicated.

no, this composition does not work as well. for a start the horizon line is tilted clockwise.

there are too many objects in the picture, without any being a credibly strong focal point, neither does the sum of all the objects form a whole. even the ferry, which seem like a probable focal point, is being cropped at the bow.

Yes Kaldorei agree with Eiken, this composition does not work based on what he said.
    I have found these past few months many things to learn and I've attended basic course after basic course (like to do the horse stance) PSS Basic Digital Photography, PSS Art of Seeing, Joseph Tan JMP Basic Photography Foundation Course and I actually want enrol into the NPS Basic Photography course.
    Shoot after shoot - by myself , with PhotoArt, with the instructors, with PSS.
    Read after read - buy books after books, visit the library.
    Man a lot of work to improve on your photography.
    Please visit my gallery at www.pbase.com/cecil_chan