Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Traveling in Central Europe....

Default Re: traveling in central europe....

Quote Originally Posted by Xing
    What I did was to bring a portable cooker, pasta and tomato puree in Italy is damn cheap (see to believe). Do some shopping in their supermarket and you can whipped up a scrumptious dinner every night.

For lunch, I usually feast on a baguette, with pate, ham slices, cheeses, salsa sauce, tomatoes, lettuces, etc etc... better and cheaper than a Subway sandwich
    That's what I do too, except I don't really cook much. But I usually have a heavy breakfast, and i make 1 or 2 sandwiches which i eat for lunch. Buy ham, pate, cheese and bread from the supermarket. At night, I sometimes eat instant noodles which I also buy from the supermarket if I can find them. After a few days of eating European food, the noodles taste great ! Once every 2-4 days, splurge on a nice dinner in a restaurant. You don't want to eat badly all the time, and you do want to try the town's speciality :-)

I think the area trying to covered is too wide liaoz, should cut down to about 2 countries, the train tickets will also be cheaper this way. E.g. Italy and Switzerland, Germany & Austria etc

It's common to be over-ambitious on your first trip to Europe. I've made that mistake and have regretted. I believe u should still have chances to cover other areas that you may miss this round in future, so my advice is to be selective. Italy alone is already packed with enuff itenaries for u to spend 2 weeks. Milan, Venice, Florence & tuscany, Rome, Sorrento & Amalfi coast etc.. And for switzerland there are lucern, interlaken, Geneva and many mountains and train ride that are worth experiencing..

I went to southern Germany & Austria for 2 weeks+ around 3 yrs ago, did not cover large areas, limit my scope to close-by places like Munich, Rothenburg, Bamberg, Berchtesgaden, Salzburg and Hallstatt. Less ride and more foot and leisure. It's more relaxing and enjoyable to travel this way.

Greek island is also another wonderful choice. Spent a few days each in some of the island will be nice for a couple. I still wish to go back there one day. Can consider islands like santorini, mykonos, corfu, hydra, rhodes etc. The view above the cliff of Fira town at Santorini is pretty breathtaking

I think your gf can forget abt shopping since the budget is tight. Things in europe r very expensive!
    Last edited by Kongo; 26th May 2006 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh
    a guy called jarvis advice me to make the trip ending in milan as that would be the shopping time, but i thought most people flew to and fro to the same place, rather than from sg-pt a, then pt-b back to sg. if the latter is possible, i think i can save time by avoiding doing a loop but to do a simple line.

i think i might consider this route.

a 20 days plan. (Sg-Rome-Paris-Prague-Venice-Milan-Tuscany-Rome-Sg)
    1 day - sg-rome
    1 day - rome
    1 day - rome to paris
    2 day - paris
    1 day - paris to prague
    3 day - prague (include 1 day as reserve/break)
    1 day - prague to venice
    2 day - venice
    1 day - venice to milan
    2 day - milan
    1 day - milan to tuscany
    1 day - tuscany (grapevine)
    1 day - tuscany to rome
    1 day - rest in rome
    1 day - rome to sg

a 14 days plan. (Sg-milan-venice-prague-rome-tuscany-milan-sg)
    1 day - sg-milan
    1 day - milan
    1 day - milan to venice
    2 day - venice
    1 day - venice to prague
    2 day - prague (include 1 day as reserve/break)
    1 day - prague to rome
    1 day - rome
    1 day - tuscany (grapevine)
    1 day - tuscany to milan
    1 day - rest in milan
    1 day - milan to sg
    Some info on italy:

1) From Milano to Venezia, the train takes about 2.5-3 hrs. Venice IMHO is worth only a day trip, so recommend to take morning train from Milano Centrale Stazione to Venezia Santa Lucia Station, tour venice and then fly off to whatever destination.

2) Tuscany is a region, which covers Florence and Pisa also. Milano to Florence, the train takes about 3 to 4 hrs. If you want to visit the grapevine in tuscany region, it is additional travel out of florence, you definitely need a car, if not, pre-arrange with the wineyard and prepare your transport. If you have extra time, you should try to visit Cinque Terra (five lands) halfway between Genova and Pisa. Nice!

My recommendation is, travel "Paris , Prague , Rome , Interlaken (switzerland), Venice)".
    Unless you are really keen on Tuscany Vineyard, you can skip Milano, Florence.
    Prague and interlaken is a must travel place, what i feel is that if you have visited prague, you can skip all other eastern europe city.

Just opinion from a poor soul still stucked in Milan.

eemmmm..... now setting on getting honda jazz 2006 model.... will be foregoing europe for sometime... and leave it in my dreams.

what's cool (as in temperature cool) and scenic in nearby (cheap by flight) places in aug/september? would yunnan be at the temp of 10-20C by that time? may consider asking for companions to a budget trip then, for photography for 2 weeks and save 4-5 days after that for a resort holiday with gf.

jiu zhai gou...
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    jiu zhai gou...
    the first site i read on travelling to jiuazigou derives the below.....
    http://www.dijon.soulrebels.com/angel/?p=4

dunno if my trip will be marred with the chinese occupying that tibetan area. am wondering if going directly to tibet may be better...

planning a family trip to yunnan or inner mongolia in mid july.

http://www.super-travels.com/data/stw/stw10.html
    6天云南西双版纳风情游

http://www.super-travels.com/data/stw/stw07.html
    7天丽江香格里拉女儿国

http://www.super-travels.com/data/stw/stw05.html
    7天大理丽江香格里拉+昆明

http://www.super-travels.com/data/stp/stp09.htm
    8天蒙古草原壮丽游+免费送云岗石窟

hosea, anything to comment?

sep, reserving for gf for hk......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123