Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

Thread: setting up home server. need recommendations.

  1. #21
    Senior Member oracle0711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Settling down in Punggol
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    I assume you are planning to host the server from home. Before you look into the specs of your hardware, you better look at whether you have a public static IP to host your domain.

    As far as I know (i may be wrong), MaxOnline and most home internet ADSL packages does not come with public static IP and this means that you cannot publish your domain even if you have the best hardware box.

  2. #22

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    Can use dynamic DNS

  3. #23

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    Quote Originally Posted by oracle0711
    I assume you are planning to host the server from home. Before you look into the specs of your hardware, you better look at whether you have a public static IP to host your domain.

    As far as I know (i may be wrong), MaxOnline and most home internet ADSL packages does not come with public static IP and this means that you cannot publish your domain even if you have the best hardware box.
    can...there is a dns service to link to ur changing ip...but u need to pay for that service...n threadstarter pls read ur TOC of ur isp...coz iirc consumer plan is nt allowed to do hosting...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

  4. #24

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    Quote Originally Posted by seankyh
    Can use dynamic DNS
    yea...ddns or register a static ip with your ISP

  5. #25
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    anyway. my contract end already. its ok for me to jump out into another ISP or continue. so anyway. i believe it doenst matter anyway...

    i read up on the dslwebserver.com and they did explain everything in a rather detailed manner.

  6. #26

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    i believe the only static ip plan for res is magix...do correct me if im wrong...
    if nt get corprate plan...u will b paying big bucks for static ip plans...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

  7. #27
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    i would like to hear from those who do web hosting of their own at home also....

    because its like for my own personal website. a server to host my own personal stuffs, and not selling webspace either.

  8. #28

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    i would like to hear from those who do web hosting of their own at home also....

    because its like for my own personal website. a server to host my own personal stuffs, and not selling webspace either.

    Go talk to your ISP...i believe if they want ur money...ultimately something can be done for you... alternative register DDNS (don't use free one, got limitations) www.ddns.org

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz
    i believe the only static ip plan for res is magix...do correct me if im wrong...
    if nt get corprate plan...u will b paying big bucks for static ip plans...
    There are ways and I can show you how.

    Next time kopi I show you bring along your notebook.

  10. #30
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz
    i believe the only static ip plan for res is magix...do correct me if im wrong...
    if nt get corprate plan...u will b paying big bucks for static ip plans...
    singtel... amazingly expensive... 512kpbs.. compared to starhub..... i really have no comments for that...

    but nevertheless... i quote from Starhub.

    Q Can I run server eg. gaming server or FTP or webserver using MaxOnline Ultimate?
    A. MaxOnline is for residential Internet usage, as an asymmetric broadband connection. Thus, any server-based applications will not be supported.

    Q. Can I host a server on my cable modem?
    A. Setting up of servers using cable modem is not allowed. This is because the DOCSIS 1.0 compliant cable modem is designed for home surfing and is not made for server hosting applications. Major operators like @Home in the U.S. similarly do not endorse connecting servers to their residential cable modem service.


    hope to hear more....

  11. #31

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    Quote Originally Posted by paper_33
    Hi Glennyong

    you may want to take a look at no ip
    http://www.no-ip.com/services/manage...namic_dns.html

    it's a FREE service, and probaly will solve your problem if you do not have a static ip

    Cheers
    Starthub may come back and band you for hosting a server! It is against their policy. Other MAX Online user in your location may suffer as a result!

    I know http://www.softwarehorizon.com.sg do offer services for webhosting at only $5 per month, Domain name is $28 per year. I think webspace is 1GB, can be expanded when needed. You can contact the person incharge for more details.

    You can do your sum, a simple server cost about $1000. If you pay $88 a year, you can host for 10 years. You save all the problem of maintaining the server, preventing the server from getting hack and etc.

    Another solution is to get a line from Quala. ADSL line with fix IP. about $188 a month for 512K bandwidth!

  12. #32
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    Quote Originally Posted by longkangman
    There are ways and I can show you how.

    Next time kopi I show you bring along your notebook.

    haar ?? show who ??

  13. #33

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    You have to remember that having it on at home is a 24/7 thing. It can be noisy and it can be irritating to people who cannot tahan the organic solvent smell.

  14. #34
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    Quote Originally Posted by shojibake
    You have to remember that having it on at home is a 24/7 thing. It can be noisy and it can be irritating to people who cannot tahan the organic solvent smell.
    my 2 comp has been on for 4 years non stop. 24/7. and.... the best part. the downtime is total average 1hr - 2hrs every 2 week for cleaning.... tats all.... running 4 cooler master fans. theres noise thou... very minimal....

    i can sleep soundly without the noise bugging me....

    hahaha... so its ok for me if its on 24/7.....

  15. #35

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    my 2 comp has been on for 4 years non stop. 24/7. and.... the best part. the downtime is total average 1hr - 2hrs every 2 week for cleaning.... tats all.... running 4 cooler master fans. theres noise thou... very minimal....

    i can sleep soundly without the noise bugging me....

    hahaha... so its ok for me if its on 24/7.....
    I have been there done that, maxonline up stream is very slow! 384Kbps.....can die when people try to view a 500K size pics. If 10 people try to view it worst! I used to manage Young P A P forum and their server at home with special permission from starthub, it is not easy. Further more through MAX online you may not be able to run mail services properly and also subject to hackers attack(many of them from china have nothing to do). These are all the cons, and in my opinion it out weights the pros! Setting up a server at home is really may be just for fun, anything serious you should be getting something more reliable. Max Online can have connection problem once in a while and you cannot fault them. Their SLA did not promise 99.97% uptime like the data centers.

    Please also check what is the implication if you are caught running a server from home using Max Online and other ADSL services meant for res. Not worth.


    Please add the cost of electric city bills, hardware cost, and etc. There are so many webhosting services out there that are so cheap now, why not use them?? Save all your problem. Got people to call when you have problem also.
    Last edited by lightning; 17th May 2006 at 11:36 PM.

  16. #36
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    actually my best brudder introed me a webhosting plan, around $10USD.month, and it gives 5GB of webspace. which is good....

    but i like to do the maintainance my own u see...

    i wouldnt mind trying hard.... so if it fails i am willing to take the risk, learn the lesson, and teach others that i have gone through all these and these are the pros and cons.

    learning process thou...

    i dun mind going through the hard way to get things done. cause end of the day its about customer's satisfaction, but now its about having a portfolio online so that others can view.

  17. #37

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    actually my best brudder introed me a webhosting plan, around $10USD.month, and it gives 5GB of webspace. which is good....

    but i like to do the maintainance my own u see...

    i wouldnt mind trying hard.... so if it fails i am willing to take the risk, learn the lesson, and teach others that i have gone through all these and these are the pros and cons.

    learning process thou...

    i dun mind going through the hard way to get things done. cause end of the day its about customer's satisfaction, but now its about having a portfolio online so that others can view.
    What kind of own maintenance are you looking for? If it's hardware, dream on la . Our puny home systems wont match the server cluster in the data centre. Software wise, nothing much really. Just config and it's good to go.

  18. #38

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    Kkakakak, serving porno at home? You bad!

    It's not a joke, but this is 1 of the webserver in my company, and it's hosting 7 portal/directory , and about 4 client sites.

    Windows Advance Server OS
    IIS/ DNS server
    Pentium 3 1 GHZ
    2 x 128mb ECC ram
    60gb hdd
    Using a starhub lease line.
    MSSQL running on another machine tho.

    Slow, but still running.
    Last edited by togu; 18th May 2006 at 12:10 PM.

  19. #39

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    If you are just hosting your own website, you don't need a power horse.

    Kkakakak... does that sounds encouraging?

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: setting up home server. need recommendations.

    That's precisely the point ...

    Hosting a small site, 1 doesn't need super-highend equipment.

    I'm already using a retired Pentium Pro server for my site and ist fast enough ... but i might migrate to a P2 later on as the server is aging.

    Linux nowadays also is pretty easy to setup especially with ubuntu and its light weight compared to bulky ol' Windows...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •