Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 88

Thread: Great Eastern Photo Competition

  1. #21
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,839
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Simple. With all the school work, streaming, exam stress, Life's Not So Great For them.

    I doubt you'll win showing depressed local kids crying cos they didn't get into XXX sch, or primary school kids lugging school bags bigger than a mountaineer's under the Theme "Life Is Great".
    well... if someone can take this hint from u and capture dat pic... won't it give the theme an ironic twist? dat is, if the judges are wise and open enuf to accept an alternative message to the Life is 'Great' theme...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed.” ― Deeksha Mittal

  2. #22

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    Life is great!


  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    he seems like he's enjoying it. hahah
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  4. #24

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    Thats a nice one! I'd vote for it if I've a say

    Well arguments aside, for novice or leisure photographer who needs practice & exposure, I don't see the harm in participating. Like they're authors giving out free e-books to their works, simply because it is not piracy that kills such authors, but rather, the lack of people knowing them.

  5. #25
    Member kiama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    .SG
    Posts
    1,074

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    time to hunt and shoot happy faces again

  6. #26

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    What do they mean by the photos cannot be "manipulated" in any way?

    Can we do simple PS like levels, colour, curves, layers, rotation, cropping etc?

    I mean, the composition will not change... jus touching up pimples and enhancements...

  7. #27

    Question Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    I was greeted with this message while trying to access. Life is indeed great...!

    Web Proxy
    This site is protected by a firewall. All requests are screened and logged.
    The web server at this site is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

    For further information contact:
    webadmin@lifeisgreat.com.sg
    "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."- Jim Elliot

  8. #28

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    I wonder if Willy is participating this year?

    He's awfully quiet here in this thread. Wonder what's his take on this?
    And from last year's winner, a few tips/pointers to share?

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,797
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by ipin
    I wonder if Willy is participating this year?

    He's awfully quiet here in this thread. Wonder what's his take on this?
    And from last year's winner, a few tips/pointers to share?
    It's every man, woman, boy and girl for himself .......when $10K is at stake.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tiong Bahru
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by Hexlord
    Have to print out the photos in 8R and submit it by post right?
    hey, our photos can get crumbled or folded if we post...

    can we put it in an envelope and personally bring it to the place that we're supposed to send it to?

  11. #31

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by TrIjAm
    hey, our photos can get crumbled or folded if we post...

    can we put it in an envelope and personally bring it to the place that we're supposed to send it to?
    nobody will stop you from doing that

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    545

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by TrIjAm
    hey, our photos can get crumbled or folded if we post...

    can we put it in an envelope and personally bring it to the place that we're supposed to send it to?
    I think you can. The last I paritcipated, a fews year ago, there were boxes near the lift lobby at the Great Eastern Building.
    Last edited by Stoppable; 1st June 2006 at 11:17 AM.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by merkava74
    What do they mean by the photos cannot be "manipulated" in any way?

    Can we do simple PS like levels, colour, curves, layers, rotation, cropping etc?

    I mean, the composition will not change... jus touching up pimples and enhancements...
    Yeah Guys.... What Do They Mean By No Manipulation? Is Correcting Exposure, Levels, etc Allowed?

  14. #34

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by ipin
    I wonder if Willy is participating this year?

    He's awfully quiet here in this thread. Wonder what's his take on this?
    And from last year's winner, a few tips/pointers to share?
    Hi guys.. I'm not participating in the competition this year..

    From what I have heard from the judges .. there is a lot of playing with water in last year's entries... so much that they are tired of looking at water already.. so think out of the box a little..

    Also it's not about foreign or local kids that plays the part here... it's more the emotions that the photo brings out.. in fact.. if I was the judge for "Life is Great" .. I would choose local kids over foreign kids given the choice..

    After having judged a few competitions myself.. I've come to realise that getting into the top few places isn't tough... many in clubsnap would have easily done that.. just that they are not submitting their photos for competitions..

    Sitting through an open judging would help in understanding what the judges are looking for... and more importantly.. what different judges look for and the style of each judge..

  15. #35

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    Two words: foreign kids
    How about these two :



    My life is great (messy, busy, tired, headache, but great otherwise) since I got these two great kids.

    Cheers!

  16. #36

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by sportshooter
    Whatever it is, be ready to be disappointed no matter how good your photos are. Some competitions require usual internal networking and affiliation. Unless the judging process is transparent and points based. You'll find year after year questionable winning photos which no one can explain why despite the instructors telling you to apply crop here and there, apply rule of 3rd or photo must be dead sharp. IMHO, some competitions are worth taking part some are just a poorly organised show you can just afford to miss. You can take it that I wrote this or heard it from somewhere.
    Yes and No..

    Firstly.. yes.. prepared to be disappointed... there can only be one winner.. and the same photo might not win if judged a 2nd time.. or with a different panel of judges..

    And no.. for most competitions I've been involved with ... networking and affiliations do not play a part at all.. during judging the names of the photographers are usually not known to the judges. Though sometimes we can suspect that a particular style of photography looks familiar and can probably guess who's behind that photograph. But that doesn't give any additional points to the judging process.

    As for crops & rules of thirds.. there are few ways of looking at this..
    In my view there are 2 general categories of photographers... the technical photographers & the artistic photographers.. the technical photographer will want the exposure to be spot on, apply rules of thirds, things to be level, skin tone to be correct etc..
    The artistic photographer doesn't care about all that and will work hard to break all those rules cos that what every one else is doing.. what makes his work diffferent??

    The techinical rules help guide beginners to take decent photographs.. after learning the foundation.. they should then try to break out of the rules...

    For myself.. I'm about 60% techinical and 40% artistic.. and I'm still in the ongoing process of trying very hard to shift towards artistic.. sometimes, the rules of thirds eg get so uncounciously programmed into my brain that my photos become very boring.. I have to conciously break out of that myself..

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by willyfoo
    Yes and No..

    Firstly.. yes.. prepared to be disappointed... there can only be one winner.. and the same photo might not win if judged a 2nd time.. or with a different panel of judges..

    And no.. for most competitions I've been involved with ... networking and affiliations do not play a part at all.. during judging the names of the photographers are usually not known to the judges. Though sometimes we can suspect that a particular style of photography looks familiar and can probably guess who's behind that photograph. But that doesn't give any additional points to the judging process.

    As for crops & rules of thirds.. there are few ways of looking at this..
    In my view there are 2 general categories of photographers... the technical photographers & the artistic photographers.. the technical photographer will want the exposure to be spot on, apply rules of thirds, things to be level, skin tone to be correct etc..
    The artistic photographer doesn't care about all that and will work hard to break all those rules cos that what every one else is doing.. what makes his work diffferent??

    The techinical rules help guide beginners to take decent photographs.. after learning the foundation.. they should then try to break out of the rules...

    For myself.. I'm about 60% techinical and 40% artistic.. and I'm still in the ongoing process of trying very hard to shift towards artistic.. sometimes, the rules of thirds eg get so uncounciously programmed into my brain that my photos become very boring.. I have to conciously break out of that myself..
    Totally agreed with Willy on this. I think there might be some misunderstanding for some competitions but i don't think you will see any collusion or anything going on.

    That;s why it's common to see third parties winning even in some club-organised events. Given that Life is Great is a national event, likelihood of any bianess is even less.

    A lot of misconception is that judges may favour foreign kids or certain theme, but from what i have seen, it's not true. Willy has pointed out, the key is emotion. A lot of these foreign shots have that ingredient whereas local shots are snapshots. No prize for guessing which the judges prefer.

    So long as the rules did not restrict the subject matter, i think there should be any problems who/what type of shot wins. Here, i disagree with Willy on he would prefer local kids shot.

    Another thing peculiar about judging, not just for photography competition, is that the method use can have great significance. The background, experience and even life experience of the judges will determine the results, whether consciously or sub-consiously.

    Also, for example, a very good shot that everyone ranks 2 or 3 may ended up as winner as oppose to one shot that a few judges like but the rest hated. Well, Photography is subjective so just bear with it and give it your best shot!

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    BTW, must it be one with a Singapore/Singaporean setting?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    星尬波
    Posts
    362

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    What does WITHOUT mounting means ? Pardon my ignorance :x

    I'm still new to this :P

  20. #40
    Phildate
    Guests

    Default Re: Great Eastern Photo Competition

    Means don't mount it on card or have a frame mount.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •