Thread: Photography for Mountain Climbing

Exclamation Photography for Mountain Climbing

Hi everyone,

I just got a DSLR recently (350D with stock lens), and me and a few friends are planning to climb Mt. Kinabalu this coming June. Obviously a very good chance for me to make good use of my DSLR!

So I have a few question which some of you might be able to help me out with or give some advice! Thanks:

1. What lens should I get or should I stick with the stock lens. Apparently the stock lens (18-55) doesn't have much good reviews, and I find the range a bit short. I guess while climbing it won't be a good idea to be changing lens, or having to lug more stuff up so it shouldn't be too heavy, yet have a good range. Not sure what lens would be suitable. I heard the tamron 18-200 is a pretty good choice due to it's range, not too bad weight and size, and it can do some Macro (like good for taking flowers etc). Or is it too bulky to carry around easily?

2. What's the best way to carry the camera around? Ideally it should be in a waterproof cushioned bag, BUT also easy to take out and take photos While Climbing, otherwise it would be mostly summit photos which might get quite boring. Anyone have any experience in something like that? Shouldn't hinder movement too much too.

3. What should I do with the Lens cap? Any suggestions like sticking a string to it in case it drops?

4. Batteries. Probably need to get more or borrow some from friends right? Considering it would get pretty cold up there.

5. Do you foresee any other problems I might face? What's the best way to waterproof? Plastic Bag?

Thanks so much!

Tanjong Katong

Default Re: Photography for Mountain Climbing

Have you ever climb the mountain before? If you do, you know what you need to take care of your camera gear.

Default Re: Photography for Mountain Climbing

something related: