View Poll Results: How do you store your biggies lenses?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standing vertically on their lens mount cover

30 39.47%
  • Simply lying on their sides

40 52.63%
  • Horizontally with support (foam packing)

12 15.79%
  • Attached to the camera

5 6.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you store your big lenses?

Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

I store my lenses as in the picture attached.. do let me know if I need to do otherwise.

Also do you all keep your lenses with the caps on the lens or open...

Saro

I store all my lenses lying down, with the rear lens cap and NC filters loosen (to remove
    any excess moisture trapped inbetween filter and front lens element & also to prevent the
    filter from being stuck permernantly after some time of storage, if ever possible! ).

As for cam body, lens mount cap loosen (not wide open i.e. without cap) also,
    with the CF card & batt cover of my grip open too. Only after a few days in the dry
    cabinet, do I quickly close up all my camera's latches etc, rear lens caps, but still leaving the filters loose.

I would err to the safe side and remove my batts from the grip for prolonged storage too.

Quote Originally Posted by ipin
    I store all my lenses lying down, with the rear lens cap and NC filters loosen (to remove
    any excess moisture trapped inbetween filter and front lens element & also to prevent the
    filter from being stuck permernantly after some time of storage, if ever possible! ).

As for cam body, lens mount cap loosen (not wide open i.e. without cap) also,
    with the CF card & batt cover of my grip open too. Only after a few days in the dry
    cabinet, do I quickly close up all my camera's latches etc, rear lens caps, but still leaving the filters loose.

I would err to the safe side and remove my batts from the grip for prolonged storage too.
    Wow, You surely are not leaving anything to chance.

Quote Originally Posted by srisaro
    I store my lenses as in the picture attached.. do let me know if I need to do otherwise.

Also do you all keep your lenses with the caps on the lens or open...

Great, that's what we call a picture is better than a thousand words
    We seems to be doing the opposite though, I have my lenses on the bottom and the middle tray and the camera bodies on the top tray.My smaller lenses stands vertically on the lens mount with cover on.I do not keep my flashgun and my lens hood in the cab. I kept my filters and camera cleaning kit etc in another smaller dry cab.

Thanks for sharing.

By the way, possible to tell me how much did you paid for your DHC 60dry cab?
    Last edited by NE clicks clicks; 23rd May 2006 at 10:26 AM.

When i got my 2nd 60L digicabi from their warehouse, the guy there told me it's better to store the heavier lenses right at the bottom because it's safer. I'm not sure if he was implying that the trays aren't that strong but I've taken his advice. Right from the horse's mouth, better listen. hurhur

Quote Originally Posted by NE clicks clicks
    How do you store your biggies lenses?
    no biggies dry box no talk.....

Quote Originally Posted by Denosha
    When i got my 2nd 60L digicabi from their warehouse, the guy there told me it's better to store the heavier lenses right at the bottom because it's safer. I'm not sure if he was implying that the trays aren't that strong but I've taken his advice. Right from the horse's mouth, better listen. hurhur

Its for stability. For ant cabinets, its better to store the heavier stuff on the bottom tier and the lighter on top. In that sense, the CG will be shifted lower. The word "safer" implies that the cabinet is less likely to triped over in-case you bang into it.

I got my DHC60 for $218 during the IT show.

When i had a 400mm f2.8, i removed all the shelving in my drybox to make up enough space to stand the lens up. I then arranged all my other lenses around it, all standing up. I find it is easier to pick a lens when it is standing as opposed to lying down. Also easier to reach into the back and pick up smaller lenses. I have 2 dryboxes, one for cameras, one for lenses. now that i am using the 300-800mm instead, i think i'm going to have some problems....

Wow, You surely are not leaving anything to chance.

Ya, the question is, why should we or I take the or any chances if I know I can do something about it!

I'm sure many would agree that is they could do something to protect their investments, they would. eh?

So I rather put in little effort now and after every usage, than to experience heartaches in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    When i had a 400mm f2.8, i removed all the shelving in my drybox to make up enough space to stand the lens up. I then arranged all my other lenses around it, all standing up. I find it is easier to pick a lens when it is standing as opposed to lying down. Also easier to reach into the back and pick up smaller lenses. I have 2 dryboxes, one for cameras, one for lenses. now that i am using the 300-800mm instead, i think i'm going to have some problems....
    Guess you have to buy the costom made version liao.

BTW how do those shop keep their stock? I'm sure they got more lenses than any of us.

I have 2 x 40L cabinets.. I remove the lower tray and store the lens vertically upright.. Lying down would take too much space, of which I have a lack thereof If I took a photo of my dry cabi.. You will be shocked at how much I managed to squeeze inside

Hi guys, doesn't know if this has been asked before. But anyway I curious how fellow CSers store their lenses in their dry cab?
    I believe that most of us would keep our small lenses( eg : 18-55, 28-105, 85mm etc) in the vertically standing position, but what about those biggies (eg: 70-200mmf2.8, 300mm f4L IS)?
    Do you put them in the vertically standing up, lying on their side,or horizontally with support???

Mind sharing how and why you prefer the way you keep them? what advantages are there?
    Last edited by jeryltan; 24th May 2006 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch

BTW how do those shop keep their stock? I'm sure they got more lenses than any of us.
    The lenses in the boxes on the shelves.
    You go the shop should see right?

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch
    The air conditioning in the shops are more or less always on. This would keep the %RH within the shops to around 50%-55%, ideal for storage of lenses and camera gear.

Thus, they got nothing to worry about!

Hmmm.... interesting to note that there quite a few among us who actually store our lens vertically standing on the front lens element end . I should have included that in the poll.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12