View Poll Results: How do you store your biggies lenses?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standing vertically on their lens mount cover

    30 39.47%
  • Simply lying on their sides

    40 52.63%
  • Horizontally with support (foam packing)

    12 15.79%
  • Attached to the camera

    5 6.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: How do you store your big lenses?

  1. #1

    Default How do you store your big lenses?

    Hi guys, doesn't know if this has been asked before. But anyway I curious how fellow CSers store their lenses in their dry cab?
    I believe that most of us would keep our small lenses( eg : 18-55, 28-105, 85mm etc) in the vertically standing position, but what about those biggies (eg: 70-200mmf2.8, 300mm f4L IS)?
    Do you put them in the vertically standing up, lying on their side,or horizontally with support???

    Mind sharing how and why you prefer the way you keep them? what advantages are there?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Catchment Area
    Posts
    2,441

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    I dunno if anyone got a cavernous drycab to store a big long lens vertically. So, left with the horizontal position.

    For us, if we sleep on an uneven bed, we get backaches and so forth. For a lens, does it need to have a "bed" in the form of some nicely shaped foam?

    Materials are subjected to a phenomenon called creep - deformation under sustained load or just due to it's own weight over its useful life. But with the kind of material lenses are made of like Mg alloy, Alu alloy, polycarbonate, glass, etc, it would take more than 100 years to be able to measure any deformation and anything that affects the performance.

    Dun worry, if you don't touch your lens for 10 years, it will still be straight and not look like a banana.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    I lay them on their side. However, I made custom form pad to the contour of the Lens to prevent rolling and for better storage space management of my Dri cabi.


    OT a bit, do you guys ever accidentally close the door while the tray is still out? I made the mistake once and now got a tiny scratch on the glass door. Now I stice a form pad on the corner of the tray to prevent re-occurance. Luckly it didnt break.

  4. #4

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    I dunno if anyone got a cavernous drycab to store a big long lens vertically. So, left with the horizontal position.

    For us, if we sleep on an uneven bed, we get backaches and so forth. For a lens, does it need to have a "bed" in the form of some nicely shaped foam?

    Materials are subjected to a phenomenon called creep - deformation under sustained load or just due to it's own weight over its useful life. But with the kind of material lenses are made of like Mg alloy, Alu alloy, polycarbonate, glass, etc, it would take more than 100 years to be able to measure any deformation and anything that affects the performance.

    Dun worry, if you don't touch your lens for 10 years, it will still be straight and not look like a banana.
    Thinking about it , maybe the dry cab manufacturer can make some narrow but tall cab to accomodate those with long lens.
    With the amount of money we are spending on lenses it better last a 100yaers like you've said. Haha, I love your last sentence... Then we will have a new type of lens call Banana lens.

  5. #5

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch
    I lay them on their side. However, I made custom form pad to the contour of the Lens to prevent rolling and for better storage space management of my Dri cabi.


    OT a bit, do you guys ever accidentally close the door while the tray is still out? I made the mistake once and now got a tiny scratch on the glass door. Now I stice a form pad on the corner of the tray to prevent re-occurance. Luckly it didnt break.
    Thanks for the input, you actually make a bed for them.
    what do you make them with ? styrofoam or sponge?? Don't tell me you are using the type of material found in those expensive ($200- $300) pillow from Sweden! (can't remember the brand).

    Not a chance of me closing the dry cab door with the tray full of lenses and camera on it.
    I make sure everything is in before closing the door.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    Store away from wife....

  7. #7

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    Store away from wife....
    Ha Ha.. that funny
    You mean if your wife find out about those biggies, not even the dry cab will be able to protect them from turning to scrap

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by NE clicks clicks
    Thanks for the input, you actually make a bed for them.
    what do you make them with ? styrofoam or sponge?? Don't tell me you are using the type of material found in those expensive ($200- $300) pillow from Sweden! (can't remember the brand).

    Not a chance of me closing the dry cab door with the tray full of lenses and camera on it.
    I make sure everything is in before closing the door.

    Nah, nothing expensive, free in fact. Just the white foam that came with the digi cabi. Its not the normal styrofoam.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    I dont have one! always in the case and brought around. for a evening walk to prevent fungus

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West to East
    Posts
    290

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    All big lenses on their side.... Dri-Cab not that spacious......yet.

  11. #11

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    I sleep with mine

  12. #12

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    [QUOTE=DeSwitch]Nah, nothing expensive, free in fact. Just the white foam that came with the digi cabi. Its not the normal styrofoam.[/QUOT

    Oh no! didn't realise that those foam are useful, threw them all way liao after taking the dry cab out. Should have pick up the tips from you earlier.

  13. #13

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    I sleep with mine
    LOL! You can use the really big lenses as a bolster and hug it to sleep.
    Flickr|5DSR|a7Rii|24-70Lii|70-200Lii|15|17L|35L|40|85L|100L|MPE65|CV21|Batis25|S EL35|P807

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by NE clicks clicks
    Hi guys, doesn't know if this has been asked before. But anyway I curious how fellow CSers store their lenses in their dry cab?
    I believe that most of us would keep our small lenses( eg : 18-55, 28-105, 85mm etc) in the vertically standing position, but what about those biggies (eg: 70-200mmf2.8, 300mm f4L IS)?
    Do you put them in the vertically standing up, lying on their side,or horizontally with support???

    Mind sharing how and why you prefer the way you keep them? what advantages are there?
    If you're expecting an answer like:

    Oh No. You should never store your lenses horizontally The lens will eventually bend in the middle or the elements might get thicker at the bottom.

    No such luck. Common sense my friend. It doesn't make a diff. I know you think there's something others might know that perhaps you don't, but no such luck here.

    Lenses are not wine bottles. No need to keep the cork damp.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York*New Jersey*Boston
    Posts
    1,072

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    the bigger the lens, the bigger the front elemenet / hood.
    usually will store with the largest diameter down for best stability and low center of gravity.
    Regards, Mark Pang
    www.markpangphotography.com

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch
    OT a bit, do you guys ever accidentally close the door while the tray is still out? I made the mistake once and now got a tiny scratch on the glass door. Now I stice a form pad on the corner of the tray to prevent re-occurance. Luckly it didnt break.
    Thanks for the tip.

    Why I never think about it. I always want to put form pad on my table next to my dry cab to prevent the front door acrylic scratch by the table, but I never think about inside drycab .

    Regards,
    Arto.

  17. #17
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    70-200 2.8 and 300f/4 not big lenses anyway.

    whats big lenses are the 300 f/2.8, 400 f/2.8. 500 and 600 f/4s. these are the big ones... maybe those who own it would like to share on how they store it since i dun think theres a dry cabinet big enuff to accomodate them ?

  18. #18

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    Started to put all my lenses vertical, on the lens caps
    Last edited by midicity; 17th June 2006 at 08:45 AM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Hacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    4,239

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    I put them all over the place, on the shelves, in the camera bags and on the floor. No dry cabinet but I have a dry room.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blue/Green Planet
    Posts
    1,854

    Default Re: How do you store your big lenses?

    The only way I would have a big lens is if I glued all of small ones together

    I would have a Canickoly lens
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •