Thread: National Geographic Photographer - Steve McCurry

Default National Geographic Photographer - Steve McCurry

For those with cable, this coming saturday the following programs may interest you (all taken from www.ngcasia.com). I think they have shown some of them before. Anyway, i post it here also as a reminder to myself to record it down :-

NG Photographer - Steve McCurry: Search for Afghan Girl
    The picture of the mysterious Afghan girl was taken in a refugee camp in Pakistan only days after her parents had died at the hands of the Soviets. Her haunting green-eye gaze has intrigued the world for 17 years. And now incredibly photographer Steve McCurry, who has been looking for her ever since, has found her

21 December 2002, 8:00 pm
    22 December 2002, 2:00 am

The Photographers
    For more than a century, National Geographic Magazine has presented to it readers the beauty, variety, and mystery of our planet. And for most of that time, it has told its stories with compelling images as well as words. But who are the people behind the camera? Is the life of the National Geographic photographer on assignment really exciting and glamorous, a dream job? Is it the stuff of Hollywood movies such as "The Bridges of Madison County"? Or is the truth behind the legend sometimes a gritty reality? This one-hour compilation features the work and words of some of the world's best photographers, as they reflect on their jobs and on their art. It takes more than luck and perseverance to capture these incredible, unique images, and there's a story behind every photograph. Photographer Bill Allard says, "I've always thought that one of the most beautiful things about photography is its ability to introduce a person to someone else maybe halfway across the world...if you make those pictures honest enough then somehow it's possible to get the feeling that you know the same kinds of songs they sing..." For him, a successful photograph "means I'm seeing, I'm thinking." The photographers travel to the ends of the Earth to bring back their astonishing photos, and the National Geographic Channel catches up with a few of them in the field.

21 December 2002, 9:00 pm
    22 December 2002, 3:00 am

NG Photographer - Steve McCurry: Through These Eyes
    Walk the streets of New York with National Geographic photographer Steve McCurry as he records images of September 11 and the days immediately afterward. For years, McCurry has traveled to international war zones, capturing the human face of conflict and struggle throughout the world. McCurry has journeyed into Afghanistan 16 times, been jailed in Pakistan, and is known for his striking and emblematic photographs in National Geographic magazine especially the haunting image of a young Afghan refugee in a red shawl. Yet, he says, has never witnessed anything like the attack on the World Trade Center on September 11, arriving home in Manhattan from Asia just hours before. Grabbing his camera, he shot images of the World Trade Center on fire from the roof of his apartment building. Then he spent the next two days at "ground zero."

21 December 2002, 10:00 pm
    22 December 2002, 4:00 am

I think it had been shown before.. Maybe you missed it the other time..

For those Nikon and esp F90x fans, he used that model to take that astonishing picture...

P.s. Just to make those still using that model feel a bit prvileaged... I know it's the photographer rather than the camera that counts.

In case anyone missed the second program (The Photographers), they are showing it tonight at 10pm. Repeats at 4am and 8am.

Originally posted by binbeto
    For those Nikon and esp F90x fans, he used that model to take that astonishing picture...
    Actually for the Afghan Girl shoot, Steve was using a F100.

Originally posted by SzennyBoy

Originally posted by SzennyBoy

You fellas should have a look at Steve's website... really great pics in there, plus videos as well in the "photographer's journal"!

Here's the site address:
    http://www.stevemccurry.com/

Hi

btw steve is coming to SG in June to host a workshop...anybody interested?
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

Originally posted by Red Dawn
    btw steve is coming to SG in June to host a workshop...anybody interested?
    what kinda workshop? photojournalism? i would be very interested if it is...

Originally posted by Larry
    yes, photojournalism.....

it's part of a bigger series of event in June, something related to the Month of Photography...... i have the url somewhere....got to go find it...

it costs though, for a week long workshop with him
    David Teo

which part of june? very very very interested

it's part of a bigger series of event in June, something related to the Month of Photography...... i have the url somewhere....got to go find it...
    issit part of Photo & Imaging Asia 2003? i search on google and they gave me a link which doesn't appear on the main index...

here's the link...
    http://www.photoimagingasia.com/clic...rog_wkshop.htm

issit part of Photo & Imaging Asia 2003? i search on google and they gave me a link which doesn't appear on the main index...

here's the link...
    http://www.photoimagingasia.com/clic...rog_wkshop.htm
    yes it is.........the official URL is this:

http://www.photoimagingasia.com/clickart/

It's a World PhotoJournalist Meet.

6-8th of June.

anyone else interested to go down? i am :P
    David Teo

anyone else interested to go down? i am :P
    i am, but probably not for the full program cos i don't think i can spare the time for it. probably looking at the Workshops and Panel Discussion for $150.

hey there's a group booking thing, as well as a Early Bird discount! any1 interested? mabbe can organise a "MO" of sorts.

i am, but probably not for the full program cos i don't think i can spare the time for it. probably looking at the Workshops and Panel Discussion for $150.

hey there's a group booking thing, as well as a Early Bird discount! any1 interested? mabbe can organise a "MO" of sorts.
    ya i was just comtemplating that
    David Teo

some additional details for group bookings...

"Special Rates:-
    - A complimentary seat will be given for every group registration of 10 and above submitted at the same time.
    - 5% discount for members of photo/photo-related associations/societies (please furnish membership numbers upon registration)."

wonder if we qualify as a photo society...

some additional details for group bookings...

"Special Rates:-
    - A complimentary seat will be given for every group registration of 10 and above submitted at the same time.
    - 5% discount for members of photo/photo-related associations/societies (please furnish membership numbers upon registration)."

wonder if we qualify as a photo society...
    actually we aren't officially one, but we might be able to convince them otherwise......with sheer numbers?

ay u sure u not going for the full workshop?? the early bird special makes it quite palatable...
    David Teo

ay u sure u not going for the full workshop?? the early bird special makes it quite palatable...
    mabbe ah, mabbe. it's not the price lah, it's the time involved. not sure if i can afford to spare so many days off from work.