Thread: condensation in g2 lens...what does this mean?

Default condensation in g2 lens...what does this mean?

i've never had this prob b4 and i wasn't like a situation where i was in an air conditioned room and juz moved outside kinda thing... just in normal room temperature but it was rainin though...
    so what could have caused this? could it be because i lent my g2 to my fren who went to taiwan a few weeks back that caused this?
    pls advise... i dun wanna get paranoid but this isn't something i've seen b4..

Try throw your G2 into a dry box, put 4 times as many sillca gel as you would for NORMAL storage. Remove and check if your G2 is still functioning every day. The internal moisture should be gone in a weeks time, providing you are putting in fresh gel everytime you open the dry box for checking.

This kind of condensation (called fogging or hazing) can occur in SLR lenses. If this happens, you usually have to send your lens for servicing.

Don't know if this is the same case for digicam lenses, but my guess would be that you have to send your camera for servicing. But no harm trying trying the silica gel method for a few days.

thanks for the suggestion...will try that.
    but what could have caused this? does this happen all the time if u're taking ur cam into cold countries like this? i'm goin taiwan next yr also dun want the same thing to happen again

Might want to check whether there is any crack line on the body. Either that, the moisture might have got into the compartment in the gap where you zoom in and out. This might happen if you do not have any len adapter attached to your G2. I heard that even the SLR lens with zoom feature has this problem, unless you got lots of money buying those Internal focus SLR lens.

hmm strange...i've checked the body definately no crack lines and i'm using a lens adaptor too...

Tak-tau-liau. Still under warranty ? send to Canon service center, if not might want to burried your G2 in silica gel. This time with the lens adapter remove, battery compartment and flash door fully open.

I think this is pretty normal for the G2. The G2 has a loose lens barrel without grease (which I believe was done to make the assembly light enough to be moved fast by the motor), hence it is easy for moisture to get in. Happened to my G2 when I trek to high altitute too. Just let it sit in warm places and the water vapour will clear up. If it doesn't, use silica gels or put in dry cabinet as others suggested.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Mystix
    thanks for the suggestion...will try that.
    but what could have caused this? does this happen all the time if u're taking ur cam into cold countries like this? i'm goin taiwan next yr also dun want the same thing to happen again
    It always happen if you don't take care of the equipment properly.

If you go from air con to out door, keep the cam in its bag for at least 1/2 hour for its temperature to adjust to ambient.

If you are staying out door over night, keep the cam in a ziplog bag, if possible put some silica gel inside .

If you're taking sunrise pictures early in the morning, set up the cam on a tripod, use a plastic bag to hood over it and secure the open end with a velco strap. Remove the bag only when the MOMENT arrived.

If raining heavily, keep the cam in the bag.

I always take a small bottle of silica Gel and a mini hydrometer for oversea trip. I keep my lenses and hydrometer in a large ziplog and put a small amount of gel in it each night. This will help to suck out small amount of moisture accumulated over the day. At the end of the trip, I bring back all the used silica and bake them in my toaster

Didn't know that G2 has loose lens barrel. But if you attached a adapter onto permanently with a filter, isn't it offer enough protection to the loose lens barrel problem ? Provided you do not change the filter very often in unfavorable environment with lots of moisture. Talking about grease, I do notice the increasing sound during zooming after prolong use.

to prevent fungus put it on ur TV or monitor first, which will warm the vapors out but NOT hot enough to warp the stuff...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

thanx all the 4 helpful suggestions... guess this will teach me to not to lend it to frens without reminding them on the importance of taking care of the cam again in the future...