Thread: Vanda Ms Joaquim

Default Vanda Ms Joaquim

Hi everyone, i am a newbie using Lumix FZ30. Below photo taken at Botanic Gardens. Welcoming all comments.

NIKON D600 |Voigtlander 125 F/2.5 |Nikon 50mm F/1.8D|Tamron 60mm F/2.0 macro

Default Re: Vanda Ms Joaquim

its a bit too grainy?

Try to choose a better/fresher looking flower and a cluster of flowers which you could include wholly in the frame instead of cutting some out at the edge of the frame.

Avoid cluttered background. The current background is distracting from your main subjects. Choose a flower or cluster of flowers which you can shoot at the appropriate angle and with a cleaner background. If necessary, use a shallower depth of field to render the background out of focus while trying to have enough depth of field to have the flower in focus. You need to understand your camera's DOF due to sensor size, aperture, focal length and distance to subject. Try this : http://photoinf.com/Tools/Don_Flemin...alculator.html

To avoid noise, use lower ISO instead of ISO 200, if possible.

Below is my take of the same flower last month at SBG with my Nikion 5700 and it was my 2nd attempt at flowers (the first being at Sentosa Flower festival in Feb 2006). I'm still learning and there is still lots of room for improvement in my pictures (actually I was shooting late in the evening with ISO 200 handheld and forgot to turn it down to ISO 100 when I came across the flowers and shot them with tripod. So noise was higher than desired and details were lost a bit).

Last edited by Clockunder; 15th May 2006 at 09:52 AM.

oh yeah... now than i realise my ISO is being set at 200 for my bunch of orchid photos... .. below is one more orchid photo using the same iso.. i think i forgot to change that setting!

next time i gonna bring my tripod liao....
    NIKON D600 |Voigtlander 125 F/2.5 |Nikon 50mm F/1.8D|Tamron 60mm F/2.0 macro

common & normal shot

hmm.. just asking a question.
    will ISO 200 cause a big grain if u shoot flowers? i thot if u use ISO 800, den will have noise?
    will noise affect DOF too?

From my understanding, the difference between ISO 100 and 200 is very slight and at 200 you should not have grain issues.
    I thought grain is noise.
    Grain should not affect dof.

The noise level between ISO 100 and ISO 200 depends on the camera's CCD/CMOS sensor (its size and quality) and the light (signal) vs noise ratio for the exposure (focal length, aperture and shutter speed).

This difference between ISO 100 & 200 for DSLR is small but for others which have a small sensor, the difference can be quite noticeable in certain darker scenes.

If the scene is bright, there is less difference because the light signals vs noise ratio is high and there is lower probability of hot pixels on CCD/CMOS when the shutter speed is fast.