Thread: Questions of color mgmt settings in photo editing software

Default Questions of color mgmt settings in photo editing software

Hi,

Just bought the Spyder 2 suite, but very blur on how to properly configure my application after calibrating.

I am using Corel photopaint more often, the color mgmt setting screen is like:

Can anyone give me some clue on how to set these?

1. Can leave the camera import settings as "generic profile"?
    2. The internal RGB settings:
    2.1 which color engine shd I choose, the Kodal Digital Science CMM or Microsoft ICM 2.0 CMM, & the rendering intent can I leave it as "Automatic" or "perceptual"?
    2.2 Which profile to choose? There options like "generic internal RGB profile", "internal RGB - sRGB", "internal RGB - Fraser (1998)" etc & my spyder calibrated profile.
    3. The export settings, shd I embed my spyder calibrated profile in the exported files or leave it un-embedded?

Thanks, I really know nothing abt color mgmt
    Last edited by Kongo; 13th May 2006 at 07:01 AM.

Default Re: Questions of color mgmt settings in photo editing software

Some of your questions maybe found at http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...=1047023612913.

Thanks for the info, but after reading, I am still not quite sure: When I am editing the pics, do I need to adjust the internal RGB settings to be the same with the monitor profile (spyder calibrated profile)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo
    Thanks for the info, but after reading, I am still not quite sure: When I am editing the pics, do I need to adjust the internal RGB settings to be the same with the monitor profile (spyder calibrated profile)?
    your colour management aware software - e.g.photoshop, will automatically use the monitor profile calibrate by your spyder.

you use adobe RGB or sRGB to work on your image.

in order to see the result of your print you need to softproof it (assuming that you have your printer profile). In PSCS go to View > Proof Setup > Custom > from the profile drop down list select your printer profile.

IMHO, these would be my selections based on your situation

1. Can leave the camera import settings as "generic profile"?
    Use this feature when you are scanning your pictures into software. When you are importing JPEG files created by camera and uploaded at a later time into the software, file import/export setting (marked as no. 3 in your picture) is more relevant.

2. The internal RGB settings:
    2.1 which color engine shd I choose, the Kodal Digital Science CMM or Microsoft ICM 2.0 CMM, & the rendering intent can I leave it as "Automatic" or "perceptual"?
    2.2 Which profile to choose? There options like "generic internal RGB profile", "internal RGB - sRGB", "internal RGB - Fraser (1998)" etc & my spyder calibrated profile.
    Internal engine is the software module that allows a software handles different profiles of different devices. You may leave it at the default setting of Kodak color management module. Corel website has mentioned that you may leave the redering intent option as automatic because they will handle photographic or bitmap images perceptually under automatic setting.

3. The export settings, shd I embed my spyder calibrated profile in the exported files or leave it un-embedded?
    Usual ICC profiles used for exported files is sRGB or AdobeRGB (or aRGB).