Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Direct, Ceiling, Omni or Card?

Default Direct, Ceiling, Omni or Card?

Can anyone advise me how or when is the best time to apply the flash methods? And usually what are the compensation and things to take note?

Also, I've heard ppl making homemade bounce cards in the forum. Can anyone post a picture of the setup, pls?

Bounce cards are used to diffuse light when you are:
    1)outdoors
    2)high ceiling/large room

In fact, they can be used in most situations.

http://www.pbase.com/zerstorer/diy_bouncecard

If you are indoors I'd recommend bouncing the flash off the celing. Absolutely great for diffused lighting, eliminating hotspots and harsh shadows.

If you are using Canon (E-TTL) you don't have to compensate for anything. E-TTL metering will give you accurate results even when you bounce, use multiple flashes, use high speed sync or take the flash off camera.

Save your money. That piece of plastic isn't worth $35 or so, a piece of reasonably sized bounce card costs < $1, and works a hell lot better too. I've shot at least 10-12 weddings and events using that and the results are very good.

Regards
    CK

Talking

Originally posted by Zerstorer
    1)outdoors

hahahaha .............. juzt cut out mine yezterday ............. uzed mounting board n some white paper ...............

but the sidez were diagonal spreading upwardz ....................

Originally posted by Zerstorer
    1)outdoors

wau, the one u diy looks nice, u got spare one? i can't find that material so far...

Well, I haven't heard of anyone recommending direct flash at all unless there's a need to project really far.

I can make my own DIY bounce card, but how big should it big? Do I model those $40+ bounce cards I see in CP?

I've seen some tests using the Canon flashes with their inbuilt tiny bounce card. Wasn't impressive. Homemade ones are bigger, but I see so many different sizes.

Originally posted by shawntim
    Well, I haven't heard of anyone recommending direct flash at all unless there's a need to project really far.

I can make my own DIY bounce card, but how big should it big? Do I model those $40+ bounce cards I see in CP?

I've seen some tests using the Canon flashes with their inbuilt tiny bounce card. Wasn't impressive. Homemade ones are bigger, but I see so many different sizes.
    At least 5x7" or so will give good results. Smaller ones pretty much useless.

Regards
    CK

anyone own bounce cards like those made by Lumiquest

http://www.lumiquest.com/

Originally posted by Juvelyn
    anyone own bounce cards like those made by Lumiquest

http://www.lumiquest.com/
    Used PocketBouncer before, still fell back to DIY bouncecard. Cheap and better.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Used PocketBouncer before, still fell back to DIY bouncecard. Cheap and better.

Regards
    CK
    hi just wonder what u used to diy ur bounce card?

Originally posted by chenwei

hi just wonder what u used to diy ur bounce card?
    A piece of white corrugated plastic board a friend gave to me.

Cross section looks like this:

--------
    ~~~~
    --------

Usually used as an alternative to mount posters, photos, ads, etc outside places like cafes, etc and put on a stand.

Regards
    CK

Hello. Jus made my bounce card for F1000 too. Wondering should i make the bounce card (size abt A5)
    1. like a V shape spreading out wards?
    2. should it bend down toward the end (ie to cover the flash)?

What difference will it make if 1 or 2 are implemented?

Btw, is A5 big enough or need until A4 size?

Originally posted by sweat100
    Hello. Jus made my bounce card for F1000 too. Wondering should i make the bounce card (size abt A5)

A5 would be enough. A4 would be crazily big (but will probably work very well). Parallel to the flash head would be enough. Tilt the whole thing 60-75 up towards ceiling. Dun need fancy V-shape, though if you think that's nicer, no harm there. But note that this affects the area of coverage, which ultimately might have an effect on overall light quality. (not tested)

Regards
    CK

Talking

me that day went CP to find out abt thoze bouncerz /bounce cardz ..............

that lady called me to make it V-shaped spreading outwardz .............. n bend down .............. like wat u said in 1 n 2 ............

az for the size ............. my bouncer waznt too big .............. the part that iz suppoze to bounce the flazh iz only abt 7 - 10 cm long ............... dont noe whether izzit too short or not ...........

but if itz A4 size then a bit awkward rite ................ ?? ......... me feel that it iz too bg for me .............

One more thing. Thinking on investing the $30 piece of plastic. Will it make a difference if i am to use it for direct flash? How abt using it together with a bounce card? Will it be better?

One more thing. Thinking on investing the $30 piece of plastic. Will it make a difference if i am to use it for direct flash? How abt using it together with a bounce card? Will it be better?
    Give me the $30, I'll give you a bounce card which works better.

In direct mode, there's no noticeable difference. No point using together with a bounce card as the horridly expensive piece of plastic already diffuses the light. And mind you, it loses 3 stops of light!

Regards
    Ck

Talking

Give me the $30, I'll give you a bounce card which works better.

In direct mode, there's no noticeable difference. No point using together with a bounce card as the horridly expensive piece of plastic already diffuses the light. And mind you, it loses 3 stops of light!

Regards
    Ck
    ur "In direct mode" ........ do u mean pointing the flazh directly at the subject ...........?? ..........

Originally posted by FOOXX

ur "In direct mode" ........ do u mean pointing the flazh directly at the subject ...........?? ..........

Yup!!

Regards
    CK

Talking

Yup!!

Regards
    CK
    r there pple who uze the omni bounce n yet dont point the flazh directly at the subject .............?? ............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast