Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does Creative (Our national IT Icon) produce anything good?

Default Re: Does Creative (Our national IT Icon) produce anything good?

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    I think creative was the first to enter the mp3 market. Correct?
    I don't think they're the first to enter the mp3 market, but yes, they were the first to introduce HDD based mp3 players, before apple. But it was the ipod that spurred the growth of HDD based mp3 players.

Being first doesn't mean jack. Many companies have not been successful even though they were the first to enter the market.

What they forgot to tell you is that if you are NOT using a creative sound card or any audio card with a hardware midi synthesizer with the prodikeys, you will be using the microsoft software midi synthesizer.... which causes the lag.

Just get any old soundcard with a hardware midi synthesizer and the lag should go away..... Darn creative tech support must be hired by some idiots...

Hahahhahaha....

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese
    wow...it seems that there are far more victims than I expected...do you know that Creative staffs are victims of their product as well?

Going back to my case, I called their tech support line throughout the 3rd day I bought the prodikey and none actually gets through!!! I have at least made 8 phone calls with at least 2 waiting up to 30 minutes! After leaving SEVERAL voice mails, they finally called after 7.30pm. I spoke to the person that I have done everything on my part like upgrading my drivers, called up Dell and search for forums and the conclusion is - this hardware simply works this way.

The interesting part is that Creative does not allow refund or exchanging to another items. You can only send in faulty items to be serviced but cannot do any exchange. So I told the man who called me I will insist that they change to something else for me because its not my fault that I've purchased a lousy product - mind its not a faulty unit, its a faulty product that has been successfully launched into the market.

I then ask that guy frankly, if I were to upgrade my item, which one is worth it. I was thinking of throwing another $200 to get a 7.1 speakers which my PC is capable of supporting but it can't support a midi 32 key piano cum keyboard! For those who don't know about prodikey, its basically just a normal keyboard with some piano keys below. And the sound they make is simply not demanding at all. To my surprise he told me not to get them because they are not worth to pay for that price. If I wanted to, he ask me to wait till the sale in June. I sort of got the hint that its just not worth it to pay this kind of price for their product.

Forget to mention that when no one can help me out, I did a search on the net and was referred to 2 very interesting forums. One is from Dell the other from Creative. The dell forum mention one guy wanted to sue Dell because he spend so much on a new PC and bought a PS/2 card to use a creative musical keyboard but it just don't work! The creative forum listed all the angry creative products buyer and some even mention not to buy or if you buy it, throw or give up on making it work. The best part is that Creative does not even bothers to hear what their supporters are complaining about and help them. It just tells me that Creative themselves are not able to solve this problem as well.

I was then hopeless and return to the showroom to change my prodikeys. While testing out, the service guy and myself both heard that there is something wrong with the keys while playing...I told the person that's one of the faults and guess what, the staff told me helplessly that its always been like that. He had, unfortunately, bought a set for himself also and he have to live with it.

Oh forget to mention, the second day after I bought the set and complained about the time lag(one of the faults) while playing it, the service guy actually told me to get a $129 sound card to facilitate my $69 muscial keyboard. I ask him is there something wrong with him or what? Why should I buy more expensive accessories to supplement my cheap main hardware? And somemore before I buy, they assured me repeatedly that my PC (which is brand new, dual core Pentium D) will be good enough. I just dunno what to comment about their sales, technical, customer, QC and management level.

I end up topping another $20 to get a $89 headphone only to find out that it sounds much much much worst than my 15 year old $30 sony headphone which I have been throwing around throughout all these years.

What can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese
    wow...it seems that there are far more victims than I expected...do you know that Creative staffs are victims of their product as well?

Going back to my case, I called their tech support line throughout the 3rd day I bought the prodikey and none actually gets through!!! I have at least made 8 phone calls with at least 2 waiting up to 30 minutes! After leaving SEVERAL voice mails, they finally called after 7.30pm. I spoke to the person that I have done everything on my part like upgrading my drivers, called up Dell and search for forums and the conclusion is - this hardware simply works this way.

The interesting part is that Creative does not allow refund or exchanging to another items. You can only send in faulty items to be serviced but cannot do any exchange. So I told the man who called me I will insist that they change to something else for me because its not my fault that I've purchased a lousy product - mind its not a faulty unit, its a faulty product that has been successfully launched into the market.

I then ask that guy frankly, if I were to upgrade my item, which one is worth it. I was thinking of throwing another $200 to get a 7.1 speakers which my PC is capable of supporting but it can't support a midi 32 key piano cum keyboard! For those who don't know about prodikey, its basically just a normal keyboard with some piano keys below. And the sound they make is simply not demanding at all. To my surprise he told me not to get them because they are not worth to pay for that price. If I wanted to, he ask me to wait till the sale in June. I sort of got the hint that its just not worth it to pay this kind of price for their product.

Forget to mention that when no one can help me out, I did a search on the net and was referred to 2 very interesting forums. One is from Dell the other from Creative. The dell forum mention one guy wanted to sue Dell because he spend so much on a new PC and bought a PS/2 card to use a creative musical keyboard but it just don't work! The creative forum listed all the angry creative products buyer and some even mention not to buy or if you buy it, throw or give up on making it work. The best part is that Creative does not even bothers to hear what their supporters are complaining about and help them. It just tells me that Creative themselves are not able to solve this problem as well.

I was then hopeless and return to the showroom to change my prodikeys. While testing out, the service guy and myself both heard that there is something wrong with the keys while playing...I told the person that's one of the faults and guess what, the staff told me helplessly that its always been like that. He had, unfortunately, bought a set for himself also and he have to live with it.

Oh forget to mention, the second day after I bought the set and complained about the time lag(one of the faults) while playing it, the service guy actually told me to get a $129 sound card to facilitate my $69 muscial keyboard. I ask him is there something wrong with him or what? Why should I buy more expensive accessories to supplement my cheap main hardware? And somemore before I buy, they assured me repeatedly that my PC (which is brand new, dual core Pentium D) will be good enough. I just dunno what to comment about their sales, technical, customer, QC and management level.

I end up topping another $20 to get a $89 headphone only to find out that it sounds much much much worst than my 15 year old $30 sony headphone which I have been throwing around throughout all these years.

What can I say?
    Let me conclude your story: You are not going to buy another Creative item again, at least for as long as you remember this right?
    Last edited by wrx_sti_22b; 15th May 2006 at 01:58 AM.
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    I think creative was the first to enter the mp3 market. Correct?
    I only know that iRiver was one of the first few player in portable MP3 players. Their sound quality is really one of the best now. Build quality is good too. Their item lasts a long time if you take care of it. It doesn't go spoil right after 1 year when the warranty's up.
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    What they forgot to tell you is that if you are NOT using a creative sound card or any audio card with a hardware midi synthesizer with the prodikeys, you will be using the microsoft software midi synthesizer.... which causes the lag.

Just get any old soundcard with a hardware midi synthesizer and the lag should go away..... Darn creative tech support must be hired by some idiots...

Hahahhahaha....
    The tech support guy that called me already make that clear to me that the $49 audigy ought to work as long as its a PCI card. What makes me hesitate is that Creative Technical support department are all using Dell PC onboard intergrated audio and it works! And the best part is their showroom PC which is using the latest audigy sound card produce almost the same crab sound that prodikeys makes! And I believe my sound card sounds better in other keys also even though I'm using a 2 piece speakers while theirs had a amp installed!

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b
    Let me conclude your story: You are not going to buy another Creative item again, at least for as long as you remember this right?
    Its not the issue of buying, its about trust. They told me this I believe and followed and when it don't work, they try to shun responsibilities, gave irresponsible suggestions and outrageous services. Like that how to support them? If I definitely dun need their technical support like the crab headphone, I might be willing to buy at a reasonable price, if not I just dun see what Creative is good at? Someone have to be good at something in order to survive. Unless PC based digital music really kicks up and people would want a 20.1 sound card, how far will creative continues in the sound card industry. Bear in mind audio is very dependent on the mainboard PC and sound is definite a secondary focus as compared to sight which the graphic cards industry is so pipping hot.

Yah...you are right, I will never buy anything from them again. I do boycott shops especially if I think they do not deserve my attentions. I even boycott my favourite pau shop which my dad says is the best in Singapore when they hire ill mannered cashiers to tend to customers.

Just because your product is unique or your food taste good doesn't mean we die die have to buy yours. Sometimes I just dun understand why many Singaporeans prefers to queue and wait and get scolded just because the shop maybe cheaper, taste better etc. I thought Singaporeans travel alot and should have tasted and experience better? Or they didn't went to a worthy place aboard that worth their attention?

Singapore sales service ought to be upped a bit. I'm going to start a new kopitiam topic on why Singaporean rather get ill treated but still wanted to go back.

Soundcards are ok.

Generally using the Audigy for more than 2 years now and a Live! 5.1 for more than 3-4 years. It still works. Problem is that they're so slow in releasing fixes / new software for their soundcard line which is pissing many others off including overseas customers.

Complication arises when they have too many different variants / versions of the cards (trying to cut cost?)

I'll seriously avoid their MP3 players and whatever media players / peripherals.

Headphones / earphones - splurge and you will get it - Cresyn / Grado / Sony / Sennheiser / Shure anytime (for that same amount of money or less!) - much better than creative

Speakers - Its the volume control that fails 99.99% of the time. Even if the speakers last, the foam surrounds disintegrates in our humid climate after prolonged usage.

Deh you really must understand how it all works with some of the tech support guys. They don't really know much beyond what is scripted. Also you need to differentiate crap sound versus lagging sound. If it's crap sound and you expected perfect bosendorfer like piano keys from buying what is essentially only a midi controller then you've not done enough homework to understand what is needed to make things sound good. If the audio is lagging, and you have either a working vst host/soft synth or hardware midi synth, then it's the fault of the keyboard. Never buy another one from them again. If not then you need to get some other soft/hardware to suit your needs.

Also headphones wise, personally i'd never ever buy anything from creative unless it's been oem from some other reputable manufacturer. For 89 bucks you can get quite ok headphones, but since it's only because you top up 20, then let's just say you got what you paid for.

For live 5.1 and audigy's, you're better off loading up drivers from the kx project, which features asio and 2 soundfont synths ( i think it's hardware on the creative soundcards ).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123