Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Oh No! My wife found out liao....

Default Re: Oh No! My wife found out liao....

War over. Wife no longer nag or talk about the lens. Time to move on and concentrate on capturing good photos.

We need different approach for different people. I understands my wife's style so I choose to let her find out rather than tell her what I want to buy.

Some wifes may be different. come on, we all behaves differently too. There is no right or wrong approach. we must apply the right approach to the right person. If I discuss with my wife that I want to buy a $2K+++ lens, she will stare at me and you will actuallt see a a sign saying "DONT YOU DARE" on her eyes. But if buy first talk later, den will only get some remarks like "so rich".

i got the opposite approach, i really hate extra lenses or lenses that sit in the dry cabi doing nothing but rot and will not hesitate to sell them but my wife always nags at me to keep them.

She is right, on some assignments i get to use them but its taking space in my cabinet after the assignment is over.

i prefer to keep money, more shiok than to keep lenses, metal tubes with glasses that grow fungus when you do not use them.

soon i will make an account on the usage of lenses verus cost, if i cannot earn back the $$$ for the lens, will sell them behind my wife's back.

Same philosophy for me.....just keep what I am using and sell what I do not really need....but got same prob with wifey who thinks I am so rich and earn tons behind her back when I cash in on redundant lens....

It is a good thing that photography is my bread and butter. My wife and I have a mutual understanding that as long as it is for my work, I can own as many lenses as I wish.

Luckily, my wife is not the "high-maintenance" type. She is quite happy with her Braun Buffel bag and Americaya shoes. Oh, she loves Crocs shoes these days. We even have a matching pair.
    Last edited by photobum; 17th May 2006 at 11:54 PM.

must learn from chengpe lah.. he sneaked in a 500 f4 before..
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    must learn from chengpe lah.. he sneaked in a 500 f4 before..
    Wah... so power arh... gotta learn arh...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by XXXcat
    Bro, now i am in ur position... the same goes to my b/f.. after he asked SB-800's price... from yesterday til NOW... still NAG....
    I guess such is personal preference for hobby, unless it leads one to bankruptcy and debts.

People may find spending $500 on a single flash unit as absolutely madness, yet they would stop at nothing to get a piece of jumpstart cable, spark plug or aerodynamic wing for their cars for a price way over that of an SB800.

I know of people who whine at spending $1.3K for a camera and would think of nothing on changing cars when the depreciation value of a car far exceeds that of getting a EOS 5D with 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200L.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    i got the opposite approach, i really hate extra lenses or lenses that sit in the dry cabi doing nothing but rot and will not hesitate to sell them but my wife always nags at me to keep them.
    Hey, you didn't tell the rest you actually work together in parallel with your wife!

Unfair comparison! *grin*

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Happy
    As a husband and hobby-photographer I've learnt to:
    ... 4. take it like a man if and when she finds out how much you spent on that latest lens, never mind it was a steal at $300, just wait till you hear "don't you have a lot already? why do you need another one?" - DON'T answer. and N E V E R give a smart-alec rebuttal like "but you also have 60 bags and more shoes than Imelda Marcos!" - unless you're tired of living...
    Kinda curious...

Women had always argued abt 'equality' and 'fairness'.

Just as it's fair for them to spend on bags, shoes which they probably use it once and instant depreciation value of 120% I guess it would be as fair to guys to spend it on a hobby like photography with an ROI of like 24 to 36mths (assuming he takes on events from time to time).

After all, assuming if we take on small assignments from time to time, our hobby does help us cover equipment costs a little. As for LVs, shoes and bags... I'm not sure how does it help ladies to earn back the money.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch
    .... If I discuss with my wife that I want to buy a $2K+++ lens, she will stare at me and you will actuallt see a a sign saying "DONT YOU DARE" on her eyes. But if buy first talk later, den will only get some remarks like "so rich".
    If we ask first before we buy, how many of us do you think are still alive today?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    If we ask first before we buy, how many of us do you think are still alive today?
    Definitely very FEW.... hahaha
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

My narrow minded understanding of marriage includes responsibility to spouse. If there is no transparency and discussion, why marry? I can't see myself willfully deceiving my wife. Again, forgive me, but I am NARROW-MINDED.

Over the last few weeks, I discussed with wife, and confirmed a new piece of lens. Picking it up tomorrow.

To put things into perspective: $500 = 1 piece of pro flash = 1 very large home-branded fridge or CRT 24" TV = 3 days tour to Thailand = 1 dinner for 10 people at a medium class restaurant = 1 good and stable bably pram = 1 pair of very expansive shoes = 1 unit of second-hand 60cc motorcycle in Malaysia. Yes, different people will have different priorities and value things differently, we are all entitled to our views on what is valuable or not.

Which is also why I can't spend lots of money on my hobby, not because I am not willing to spend, but because I have responsibilities.

Danntbt says "papa don't preach" to me. I am not preaching. I am sharing the joy of my marriage. You can choose not to share my joy.

Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    My narrow minded understanding of marriage includes responsibility to spouse. If there is no transparency and discussion, why marry? I can't see myself willfully deceiving my wife. Again, forgive me, but I am NARROW-MINDED.

Over the last few weeks, I discussed with wife, and confirmed a new piece of lens. Picking it up tomorrow.

To put things into perspective: $500 = 1 piece of pro flash = 1 very large home-branded fridge or CRT 24" TV = 3 days tour to Thailand = 1 dinner for 10 people at a medium class restaurant = 1 good and stable bably pram = 1 pair of very expansive shoes = 1 unit of second-hand 60cc motorcycle in Malaysia. Yes, different people will have different priorities and value things differently, we are all entitled to our views on what is valuable or not.

Which is also why I can't spend lots of money on my hobby, not because I am not willing to spend, but because I have responsibilities.

Danntbt says "papa don't preach" to me. I am not preaching. I am sharing the joy of my marriage. You can choose not to share my joy.

I think there is a mis-understanding somewhere due to some OT. I did not decieve my wife when I buy the new lens, just buy without informing/consulting her.

You are one of the few lucky ones who's wife supports yr hobby. Well like broSion mention, for the rest of us, we will be lucky if we are still alive.

Say... I need 400mm to take photo of the gal at opposite block

Best is to buy before marriage than TRY to stop buying
    Hope I don't have this problem in future
    Dreaming... 14mm f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 mkII, 85 f1.2 mkII

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon
    Say... I need 400mm to take photo of the gal at opposite block

Best is to buy before marriage than TRY to stop buying
    Hope I don't have this problem in future
    LOL 400mm not enuf to zoom to next block leh, neighbours maybe can. need digiscope for that.

Hope that you will be one of the lucky ones who find a suportive wife. Better have a pre-nuptial agreement to allow you to purchase/upgrade yr gears anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch
    A new Lens in the cabinet lah. What did you thought it was.

For almost 2 months, she did not realise that the 100-400L was inside the cabinet and when I took it out for outings. She thought it was my old 70-200.

However, last weekend, she found my receipt and manual for the lens and was shocked at the price. Well as usual, the NAG began.... lasted a few days.

How could she not notice such a big lens for that long and for the record, my dri cabi is in my bedroom and the lens is very visible (center tray right in front)

If only I didnt leave my receipt and manual on my desk (was reading the manual earlier), God knows when will she ever notice.
    its like some nice expensive funny brand bag that they chuck at one corner. you wont even know whether it is some cheapo brand or some super expensive brand cos the bags all look the same...like lens

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    I would recommend discussing any major purchase with the spouse.
    I agree with that. For every lie that you speak, you'll need to say another 10 more to cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by surge
    its like some nice expensive funny brand bag that they chuck at one corner. you wont even know whether it is some cheapo brand or some super expensive brand cos the bags all look the same...like lens
    Like yesterday she had a 'Guess' bag, but today she got a 'Gucci' bag... You dun even know the price different & both features the monogram 'G'...
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b
    Like yesterday she had a 'Guess' bag, but today she got a 'Gucci' bag... You dun even know the price different & both features the monogram 'G'...
    "G" can mean Gheap or Gexpensive.

It's an international classification for lady handbags.

Equality and Fairness are two different concept...especially to women....hahah...just a little MCP here.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast