Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Oh No! My wife found out liao....

Default Re: Oh No! My wife found out liao....

Ha!

What an interesting thread form Husbands. Seems that many photographers have the same problem. I think the common syndrome from wife is as follows :

Stage of Girl Friend - What an interest hobby, decent
    Stage of newly marriage - Don't spend too much, we need to save on furnishing new house etc
    Stage of post marriage - Don't waste money on this hobby, why you need some many lens? filters/tripods. We need to pay bills/saving /kids etc

Anyway, Many of us still love our wifes, just that we didn't like it when they control too much on this hobby

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch
    A new Lens in the cabinet lah. What did you thought it was.

For almost 2 months, she did not realise that the 100-400L was inside the cabinet and when I took it out for outings. She thought it was my old 70-200.

However, last weekend, she found my receipt and manual for the lens and was shocked at the price. Well as usual, the NAG began.... lasted a few days.

How could she not notice such a big lens for that long and for the record, my dri cabi is in my bedroom and the lens is very visible (center tray right in front)

If only I didnt leave my receipt and manual on my desk (was reading the manual earlier), God knows when will she ever notice.
    I think you can try this method.
    1 Start trying to start off during conversation with how good a particular product is
    2 If possible, show the before and after effect
    3 Start discussion how cheap it is (NOT how expensive!)
    4 Budget APPROVED!

So far it works many times. Except my budget for new GITZO G1240 tripod 'cos I already got a small one and a heavy one. Hard to justify!

Quote Originally Posted by sohyp
    Ha!

What an interesting thread form Husbands. Seems that many photographers have the same problem. I think the common syndrome from wife is as follows :

Stage of Girl Friend - What an interest hobby, decent
    Stage of newly marriage - Don't spend too much, we need to save on furnishing new house etc
    Stage of post marriage - Don't waste money on this hobby, why you need some many lens? filters/tripods. We need to pay bills/saving /kids etc

Anyway, Many of us still love our wifes, just that we didn't like it when they control too much on this hobby
    heh..
    Any ladies want to give their version of common syndrome from husband?

I guess its more the same to how we feel when wife buying extra bags/shoes/diamonds/makeup/accessories/etc

Thats why.. Buy wat u want/need b4 getting married!

Quote Originally Posted by Errz
    heh..
    Any ladies want to give their version of common syndrome from husband?

I guess its more the same to how we feel when wife buying extra bags/shoes/diamonds/makeup/accessories/etc

Thats why.. Buy wat u want/need b4 getting married!

If there are ladies here, they are most likely to be photographers themself so they would understand the need to buy more gears as one ventures more into this hobby.

I do ask my wife why she buys so many bags to keep in the storeroom and use my bag instead. I only got 1 bag pack (only S$30) and she use it most of the time. She always buys those non-egonomic bags and store them in the storeroom after 1 time use. But since it her own $$$, I dont care much otherwise I will get more problem to buy more lens in future.

put equipment in office loh. she will not see.

Deregistered

Both wife and hubby are concerned about each other making impulse purchases. Which is a good thing. But there has to be the proper communication.

As a husband and hobby-photographer I've learnt to:

1. give up on wife's spending. 3 bags, 2 pairs of shoes, a couple of tops and skirts within 2 hours or one shopping trip are ALL justifiable even though total cost was equal to the GDP of a small country (actually I've never bothered but that doesn't help)

2. hide receipts with manuals, folded down boxes etc in a box. she'll never bother to go through them, and of course don't leave these things lying around to be seen

3. never try to interest her in the hobby. in fact, never try to interest your woman in any hobby. as a GF she may show some interest, when going steady or as newlyweds she'll show more interest either to get more time with you, or because she doesn't trust you (i have golfer friends with wives who REALLY should not try swinging anything)

4. take it like a man if and when she finds out how much you spent on that latest lens, never mind it was a steal at $300, just wait till you hear "don't you have a lot already? why do you need another one?" - DON'T answer. and N E V E R give a smart-alec rebuttal like "but you also have 60 bags and more shoes than Imelda Marcos!" - unless you're tired of living...

5. never lie to her when she notices that she's never seen that lens/ camera/ whatever before. women were made to manage inventories. be honest, and take it like a man (see point 4).

GOOD LUCK fellow husbands. Maybe someone should start a poll on this heeeee.....
    Many are culled, few are chosen

1 and 3

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    put equipment in office loh. she will not see.
    I have checked out neighbour's house too!?
    He same boat as me now trying to hide his new cam corder...

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Happy

1. give up on wife's spending. 3 bags, 2 pairs of shoes, a couple of tops and skirts within 2 hours or one shopping trip are ALL justifiable even though total cost was equal to the GDP of a small country (actually I've never bothered but that doesn't help)

2. hide receipts with manuals, folded down boxes etc in a box. she'll never bother to go through them, and of course don't leave these things lying around to be seen

3. never try to interest her in the hobby. in fact, never try to interest your woman in any hobby. as a GF she may show some interest, when going steady or as newlyweds she'll show more interest either to get more time with you, or because she doesn't trust you (i have golfer friends with wives who REALLY should not try swinging anything)

4. take it like a man if and when she finds out how much you spent on that latest lens, never mind it was a steal at $300, just wait till you hear "don't you have a lot already? why do you need another one?" - DON'T answer. and N E V E R give a smart-alec rebuttal like "but you also have 60 bags and more shoes than Imelda Marcos!" - unless you're tired of living...

5. never lie to her when she notices that she's never seen that lens/ camera/ whatever before. women were made to manage inventories. be honest, and take it like a man (see point 4).

GOOD LUCK fellow husbands. Maybe someone should start a poll on this heeeee.....
    All yr points can be validated by most of the guys here...
    Also, wife always got trick questions like - "This lens quite new/cheap ya?"

luckily my gf is into photography too...

but oso unluckily...i'll hav to spend more $$$ gettin' lenses n stuffs for both of us...

Quote Originally Posted by feimao07
    luckily my gf is into photography too...

but oso unluckily...i'll hav to spend more $$$ gettin' lenses n stuffs for both of us...
    You are not that lucky lahh..
    My wife also into photography - more of a die-die combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Inimatad
    You are not that lucky lahh..
    My wife also into photography - more of a die-die combo.
    "die-die combo"...

OT: i'm stayin' in sembawang too...

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Happy

Pro advice

honesty still the best answer..... my wife know about my d2x price . no quarrel and no black face .... hee hee....

why not try telling her the truth. she may admire your honesty =)

Just bought another body and my wife know about it..
    She also know now I got 3 bodies liao..
    No issue.

Quote Originally Posted by donchua
    No issue.
    wa...don...wat body u get this time...d2x ar or d200...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

Quote Originally Posted by donchua
    No issue.

so lucky

Sometime if wife is into photography, she may be trying to learn to diferentiate the white and the black lens. those with red rings, what the numbers stand for etc. Then one fine day, she will start attaching you. You said downgrade from f4 to f2.8. (big number to small number) but I now price is double leh. nag nag nag......Dangerous. I dont even try to get my wife to be interested in photography. Imagine even her Handphone and PDA is full of scratches, what will she do to my lens...scarry.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch
    so lucky

Sometime if wife is into photography, she may be trying to learn to diferentiate the white and the black lens. those with red rings, what the numbers stand for etc. Then one fine day, she will start attaching you. You said downgrade from f4 to f2.8. (big number to small number) but I now price is double leh. nag nag nag......Dangerous. I dont even try to get my wife to be interested in photography. Imagine even her Handphone and PDA is full of scratches, what will she do to my lens...scarry.
    Same problem w/ my wife. Lotsa scratches on HP and PDA. Just imagine my lenses handled by her.........
    Ladies nowadays dun take care of stuffs?

Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    You guys are so sad, either hiding stuff from wife, or bluffing your wife.

My wife knows my hobby (costly one, that is) and she supports it (although we are certainly not rich). She can trust that I make purchases only when necessary or time to move on to better stuff, and with bonus money (either from boss or from sideline jobs). I can freely discuss with wife to decide concurrently the best buy.

We respect each other. If we hide this, hide that, 10 to 15 years later, when all the skeletons come out of the closet, surely end up with divorce, and that's NO NO! Everything should be joint decision. You know, two-become-one (even the Spice Girls sings that).
    You are right about the approach. Unfortunately, many guys here do not have wives who will/can understand and accept men having their own hobbies. You will say then why get married in the first place if there is no understanding on this. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to this.
    Eugene

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast