Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Singapore needs foreign talents in photography?

Default Re: Does Singapore needs foreign talents in photography?

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Hmmm ....

How if the question is: "Does the foreign countries need Singaporean photographer?"

Cheers!

Regards,
    Arto.
    no, they don't. they don't need.

but like most places, the term 'foreign talent' can bring with it a connotation of 'brand'.

so it's a matter of 'want'.

a number of local commercial and wedding studio photographers have exported themselves as foreign talents overseas, to places like china and indonesia, under the brand name of 'singapore'.

whether they are up to it to make it overseas, that's a different story. an initial barrier would perhaps be the 'guai' mentality littlewolf mentioned. (generally, singaporeans are governed by rules and regulations, and often play by them to get things done here.)

but i believe....Singapore Boleh!

Quote Originally Posted by gundugundu
    Its not nice calling a Japanese "jap"...
    this is basic respect for other culture & ethnicity
    Ops sorry I also mean dun forget the jap....anesss.
    Last edited by singscott; 11th May 2006 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    why?

from conforming to a 'local' mindset, to conforming to a 'foreign' mindset?

I think the local mindset needs changing, the local mindset is already very rigid due to society and the education system. a wise enough person knows how to learn from the good points of a foreign mindset and apply it to his local mindset, while loosening up that rigidness. nothing like a good dose of western style democracy to open the eyes.
    no doubt - you said that right.

A pity would be the wholesale imposing of 'foreign' ("western" and "eastern" likewise) ideals and principles onto a local context without consideration and proper understanding.

my reply was more a tongue-in-cheek response to Ortega's specific comment of the "need" of singaporean photographers to get out of singapore to change their mindset.

"beneficial", "advantageous", "desirable" perhaps.... but "need" ? that's debatable.
    Last edited by Stereobox; 11th May 2006 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    U wanna get work permit to singapore?
    LOL.

No lah. My works are represented by R. Ian Lloyd Productions in Singapore. Why suffer the heat and humidity of tropics if you can make a bit of money without being there?

How if the question is: "Does the foreign countries need Singaporean photographer?"
    The question is not "Does the foreign countries need Singaporean photographer?" but rather "Can the world go without the Singaporean photographers' prospectives?".

market is getting more and more difficult as time goes by. Those who does not has his / her stand not her not there - one day one time - will need to go.

Natural selection I would say. The harsher the better.

Hmmm ....

Cheers!

Regards,
    Arto.
    Is there anything that Singaporean photographer(s) exceed from foreigner photographers?

If you go to foreign country - I personally believe you need good 'branding', exceed the skill of the manpowere there, or ( sadly ) give 'more economical' rate. But even that you still need the ultimate word, L-U-C-K.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    The question is not "Does the foreign countries need Singaporean photographer?" but rather "Can the world go without the Singaporean photographers' prospectives?".
    can, we r a small country w/ few ppl. we're outnumbered!

... but we got more D-SLR per head!

wad m i saying?

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz

wad m i saying?
    i think i got sore eyes too...

btw i think we got more DSLR/head than China & India... confirm... but den again... they got more heads than us all heads combined... *手指頭﹐ 腳指頭﹐ 乳頭﹐and watever 頭 ...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    I think that once you go overseas and hang out with overseas photographers you start to change your thinking about photography.

But on the economics side, do you also need the people, noticeably, the buyers to accept the new style.

If one is to do it just for Arts' sake, then it's fine, but if you need it to pay the bills, do you have to put some consideration into the mass appeal.......crudely said, to custom it to local taste?

but again, local taste differ from one pace to another.

If one only follow 'what's IN now' and does not has any particular strong style, one will vanished unto a very tiny part of 'followers' and has difficulty to place oneself into the market not to forget a hard work to find sources to copy. Of course, the strong style must appeal to certain niche if one want to use it as 'occupation' instead of 'passion' only.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz

wad m i saying?
    What you are saying is Singapore is important in the meetings of Canon and Nikon marketing managers.

hi, we've some of the best photographers in the world, in various fields of photography. our photographers should go out of their comfort zone and make a name for themselves overseas.

i've seen alot of wedding portfolios by photographers in other countries... i believe our photographers can give them a serious run for their $$.

alot of fashion photographers in Singapore too... i believe we've very good photographers around too.

alot of products and food photographers in Singapore... their works are some of the best i've seen.

Singapore's professional photography standard is very very high. i admit there're some exceptional foreign photographers based in Singapore who are definitely masters of their own craft. i've the pleasure to work with and get acquainted with a few of them.

these 'foreign talents' have to be way better than the local photographers and that to me, is a tall order.
    y do we even need those 'foreign talents' if they can't improve the local standards?
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12