Thread: Sanyo battery with Canon flash question

Default Sanyo battery with Canon flash question

I charged 4 Sanyo battery few days back but when I put it into my Canon flash yesterday, the flash can be on with power but unable to fire the flash. I then change it with the normal alkaline batteries and it work.

I checked the sanyo battery with a multimeter and the voltage reading is almost full.

So what is the reason that it does not work with the flash?

Default Re: Sanyo battery with Canon flash question

Quote Originally Posted by chseah
    I charged 4 Sanyo battery few days back but when I put it into my Canon flash yesterday, the flash can be on with power but unable to fire the flash. I then change it with the normal alkaline batteries and it work.

I checked the sanyo battery with a multimeter and the voltage reading is almost full.

Is it Sanyo NiMH? Which one? 2500mAH?

Regards,
    Arto.

just reading off the volt meter dosen't show the correct voltage when on load.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

what do you mean by voltage reading is almost full? how many volts is that?

I've used sony 2300mah (its sanyo OEM) as well as Sanyo 2500 mah battries with my 430ex fine. You have to wait till the piolt light comes on before you can fire...
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

i am using the 2500 sanyo.

The battery is 1.2 volt so my friend told me that when is full charged it will be at 1.2 volt. And when almost use up it about 0.6 volt.

When i put it in, the flash pilot will not light up. So it like not enough power or something.

The battery is 1.2 volt so my friend told me that when is full charged it will be at 1.2 volt. And when almost use up it about 0.6 volt.

When i put it in, the flash pilot will not light up. So it like not enough power or something.
    How long since you charge the battery and put on the flash?

If more than 1 day long, it could be notorious drainage problem of Sanyo 2500mAH.

Regards,
    Arto.

when my Sanyo 2500mAh is fully charge, it show 1.38-1.43V on my charger, but it will drop to 1.2+V (1.27~1.28V range) quite quickly. When is reach 0.9+V , it's consider empty.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

think ur friend is wrong.

newly and fully charged, my NiMHs (1600mAH to 2300mAH) typically measure 1.4+V. There's still quite a lot of charge (~70+%) left when it's 1.3+V. When voltage falls below 1.2V, they're almost fully drained.

It about 3 days after i fully charged my Sanyo battery and it will not light up the flash pilot light anymore. So i checked the voltage with the multi meter again, and it about 1.1-1.2 volt.

During these 3 days I did not use it, just turn on every morning and evening to check if it still work with the flash.

I actually have these set of battery checked and exchanged at the Sanyo late last year. So i guess it still have the drainage problem.