Thread: Video shooting as hobby

Default Video shooting as hobby

hi ,anyone at this forum like to shoot video? .what video cam do u use or recommend for low light shooting & oversea trip ? Just come across a HDD video cam that catch my attention. Please share your view on what type of storage is better....HDD(hard disk),CD rom,DV tape??
    Last edited by hpi3evo; 9th May 2006 at 06:39 PM.

Default Re: Video shooting as hobby

i do shoot video...im using panasonic gs-75...dv tape is still the best in term of quality...

u can look at this side http://www.camcorderinfo.com/
    for review of diff cam...hope this help u...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

I have a Sony PD170 for videoshoots. Normally you would use the format that the camcorder provides, if its dv then its dv tapes. Storing it in terms of quality will depend on your storage - remember 1 hr of DV which is dv.avi format is around 13Gb whereas 1 hr of DVD mpg2 video set at 8mbits/s with constant bit rate will be around 4Gb.
    Generally the raw footage is saved in the dv tape and for editing, the video is transferred to the HDD and then finally converted to vcd or dvd for viewing.

but do u guy find it a hassle to clean the video head & store the dv tape? The transfer
    of dv to pc is realtime,must wait lay. Dun know CD rom video cam better choice? but can only 20min of storage in ultra fine mode.

u ve to weight wat u 1...quality or convinience....n wat u planing to use it for...there is the tape for cleaning the head...n very easy...n the head do nt need to b cleaned so often oso...the transfer is real time ntg u can do off...but to live wif it...there is no cd rom vcam...only dvd...even in ultra fine mode in dvd cam...the quality still lose to mini dv...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

DVD rom is the best for people who do not want to waste their time with the conversion process. The savings in time are amazing. Just finalize the disc and you have a playable DVD. Or just transfer across. The mpeg2 compression may cause video artifacts if you want to play around in post production.

I'm not too sure but i think the HDD ones are also mpeg2.

Normally without editing, the video is going to be boring.
    Yes you are right, High Definition is in mpg2 format but at a much higher bit rate then the dvd mpg2 bit rate. But the other difference in High Definition is in its much larger frame size.
    Normally I would edit from 4 hours of video to around 1 hr.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil
    I have a Sony PD170 for videoshoots. Normally you would use the format that the camcorder provides, if its dv then its dv tapes. Storing it in terms of quality will depend on your storage - remember 1 hr of DV which is dv.avi format is around 13Gb whereas 1 hr of DVD mpg2 video set at 8mbits/s with constant bit rate will be around 4Gb.
    Generally the raw footage is saved in the dv tape and for editing, the video is transferred to the HDD and then finally converted to vcd or dvd for viewing.
    kindly correct your self DV tape and mini DV are two different types of tapes if wrong pls correct me Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil
    followed up DV tape can store 180 mins mini DV 60 on SP andf LP 90
    mini DV and DV tape are two different type of tapes if wrong pls correct me

PCYL,

Yes you're right, however, I take the cue from Hpi3evo (he can verify that) initial post to mean "mini" dv .

Hmm... I'd like to go into Video Shooting as an alternative hobby but it would cost just as, if not, more den photography.

Think I'll concentrate on photography for now.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."