Thread: Tip to taking Marco

Default Tip to taking Macro

Anyone of u can let me know how to take a good Macro Pic ???? coz most of the time when i take the Macro Pic i found i cant get the whole object clear althought i alr. used F22 .. the DOP shown very shallow... beside this ... any tip to take Macro with Fast way... coz most of the time when i finish set the Tri-Pod.. the insect alr. run or fly away .... so ..Help Help ..
    Last edited by hugoleong; 10th May 2006 at 09:15 AM.

Default Re: Tip to taking Marco

Quote Originally Posted by hugoleong
    Anyone of u can let me know how to take a good Marco Pic ???? coz most of the time when i take the Marco Pic i found i cant get the whole object clear althought i alr. used F22 .. the DOP shown very narrow... beside this ... any tip to take Marco with Fast way... coz most of the time when i finish set the Tri-Pod.. the insect alr. run or fly away .... so ..Help Help ..
    DOF is thin for macro not marco.

Only way is to make use of the DOF and adjust accordingly to get as much of the whole subject clear. Maybe your subject too big for macro? Also, one thing is to shoot parallel to the subject to ensure whole length of subject within the DOF. If your insect is diagonally composed, its tough to get the whole insect clear.

For the tripod problem, leave your camera mounted to the tripod. Or stand there fora while for the insect to be acustomed to your being there and then slowly make your way near it.

Regards,
    tltan

I usually wouldn't use a tripod while taking macros cos time-consuming to set up, so all handheld.

If handheld, set the DOF to around f/8 - f/22 and shutter speed at around 1/125-1/180, depending on the sunject and colour. Use manual mode on the cam and also an external flash or a macro flash.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Thanks guys ... i wil try it out ....

Blog Entries

who is Marco?

Blog Entries

other ways to get more dof

the distance in between the camera and the subject also affects the amout of DOF
    try it, take a stationary subject with tyour camera mounted on a tripod

use the minimum focusing distance and take a shot
    move your camera back and refocus at the subject and take another shot

now compare the dof of both shots.

the focal lenght of your lens also has a part to play with the amount of DOF you get.
    the shorter the focal lenght the greater the DOF

Another tip to maximize the amount of area in focus is to shoot your subject parallel to your sensor/film plane. Of course, this is restrictive for composition but i guess it depends what you want in your shot. The whole subject in sharp focus or selective focus on areas you want to emphasize.

This guy has a pretty good guide to insect photography: http://www.beautifulbugs.com/beautifulbugs/howto.htm