Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: 50mm prime lens

  1. #1

    Default 50mm prime lens

    Hi,
    I understand that 50 mm lens is equivalent to the human eye perspective for 35mm film, so for DSLR with a magnification factor of 1.5 , is this still true?, or should we be looking at 35 or 38mm lens (or something close, as I do not know if such lens is available) in such cases?

  2. #2

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    u can look for 35mm F2.. there is dis lens inde market.. aft 1.5 crop factor..it will bcome 52.5mm..very close to 50mm.. or u can jus get de 50mm F1.8..as its a gd prime lens for people shots too..

    Cheers!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    The nikon 50mm 1.8 is a fantastic lens for its price, you will not regret buying it, i never have
    !

  4. #4

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    nikon 28/2.8 or sigma 30/1.4
    http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

  5. #5

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonnew
    Hi,
    I understand that 50 mm lens is equivalent to the human eye perspective for 35mm film, so for DSLR with a magnification factor of 1.5 , is this still true?, or should we be looking at 35 or 38mm lens (or something close, as I do not know if such lens is available) in such cases?
    Actually, no. 50mm doesn't give you an equivalent to the human eye's perspective.

    http://www.mhohner.de/essays/myths.php#50mm

  6. #6

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    Actually, no. 50mm doesn't give you an equivalent to the human eye's perspective.

    http://www.mhohner.de/essays/myths.php#50mm
    well,

    i guess that solved my problem

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Serangoon / Tampines
    Posts
    70

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    But the 50mm prime is still a darn good lens to buy

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    Actually, no. 50mm doesn't give you an equivalent to the human eye's perspective.

    http://www.mhohner.de/essays/myths.php#50mm
    Great link The rest of the questions are commonly asked too!!!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    Actually, no. 50mm doesn't give you an equivalent to the human eye's perspective.
    In the first place, focal length has nothing to do with perspective.

  10. #10

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    In the first place, focal length has nothing to do with perspective.

    My apology Littlewolf ,for my lacking in photography vocab......what do you call it?.....human view perhaps?? I really not very sure .......but i think the link explains it well

  11. #11

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonnew
    My apology Littlewolf ,for my lacking in photography vocab......what do you call it?.....human view perhaps?? I really not very sure .......but i think the link explains it well
    Woops ....i think the right word is photography terminology

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    Extract from book, hope it help.

    In photography, lens focal length is the distance
    between the optical center of a lens and the focal plane
    (film plane) of the camera when the lens is focused at
    infinity.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonnew
    My apology Littlewolf ,for my lacking in photography vocab......what do you call it?.....human view perhaps?? I really not very sure .......but i think the link explains it well
    No need for apologies... I'm just trying to fight the urban legend that focal length affects perspective, and my comment wasn't really aimed at you. (And even if it was, you wouldn't owe me an apology ...)

  14. #14

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    No need for apologies... I'm just trying to fight the urban legend that focal length affects perspective, and my comment wasn't really aimed at you. (And even if it was, you wouldn't owe me an apology ...)
    I don't think it's an urban legend, probably just a case of using words loosely........

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    202

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    From what I can remember, the human eye's perspective is more similar to the angle of view u get using a 45mm lens, which is about 50 degrees. The anglel of view you get using a 50mm lens is 46 degrees. I'm not sure why they end up making standard lenses 50mm though.

    Nikon makes a 45mm 2.8 lens but it's awfully expensive... it cost more than the 50mm 1.4!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonnew
    I don't think it's an urban legend, probably just a case of using words loosely........
    Try it out: take a photo using a tele lens, and - from the same position, so as to not change the perspective - witha wide angle lens. Then crop the wide angle photo so that the field of view is the same as that of the tele lens. Compare. You'll find that apart from depth of field and maybe lens flaws/resolution limitations, the images are identical.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: 50mm prime lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Seeto
    I'm not sure why they end up making standard lenses 50mm though.
    "Standard" lenses for 24mm x 36 mm format have historically changed over a wide range, and even "strange" numbers like 58 mm are/were common.

    For SLR cameras, the region around 50 mm is a good technical compromise. It is more complex (= expensive) to build wide angles, as the mirror box limits how close the lens can be to the film. On the other hand, tele lenses require vastly more optical glass (and more solid mechanics) to achieve the same relative opening. That's why 50mm/1.8 lenses are relatively cheap to make, whereas 100mm/1.8 or 28mm/1.8 lenses cost a bomb. In the days when 50mm was the "kit lens", large production volumes also helped.

    There's no technical reason why a 40mm/2.8 lens has to be more expensive. This is probably more a result of small production volume and also marketing (you pay for the exclusivity of a "pancake" lens).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •