Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rules of third..

Default Re: Rules of third..

Quote Originally Posted by jerry2308
    Hi guys,

I am still not very sure about the rules of third.

Read some books about it but when i try it hands on,find that i still cant get the right thing.
    I'm not an expert, but there is no scientific justification for the "rule of thirds". Such rules are sometimes made up to create the illusion that the quality of composition can be objectively measured. But beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. If anything, the "rule of thirds" is a statistic that suggests that certain compositions are more popular than others - but there are lies, infamous lies, and statistics.

I would suggest to follow your own sense of aesthetics and don't worry about any composition "rules". By clinging to "rules", you may ruin your individual view and end up making the same cliched photographs like everybody else.

these rules are based on rules of aesthetics from ol' time fine arts...but times change, and rules are challenged to produce fresh perspectives...

so learn the rules...and then learn to ignore them (when it serves a purpose of course)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    I'm not an expert, but there is no scientific justification for the "rule of thirds".
    The Rule of Thirds is derived from the Golden Mean, Golden Ratio, Golden Rectangle and the likes. So why does it play such an important part in artistic composition? Because it is abundently found in nature, and has been used extensively in art and architecture since - think pyramids and ancient greek architecture.

Those who want to know more about the Golden Ratio and how it relates to the Rule of Thirds, I strongly suggest doing a search on the WWW.

In all due respect , I wouldn't suggest departing from the rule straight from the start. Some may take the maxim "rules are made to be broken", but until you know how the rule works, how do you depart from it and evolve from there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    The Rule of Thirds is derived from the Golden Mean, Golden Ratio, Golden Rectangle and the likes.
    If this was the case, it wouldn't be the rule of thirds, but the rule of (sqrt(5)+1)/2. The golden mean/golden ratio is not that close to thirds.

Also, many photography artists praise 6x6 or 4x5 formats as more aesthetic than 24x36. But 24x36 is much closer to the golden ratio than the other formats ...

I can't help the impression a lot of the attributed significance of the golden means is more based in mysticism than reality.

Edit: here's a link to an article (PDF) that debunks some myths about the golden mean: http://www.umcs.maine.edu/~markov/GoldenRatio.pdf
    Last edited by LittleWolf; 10th May 2006 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Those who play sudoku wouldn't have much problems with that..
    Tic-Tac-Toe lagi better .

Regards,
    Arto.

There are some here who are "anti-establishment", and they take their personal grudges to art and photography.

The "rules" are there for a good reason. Do not ignore the wisdom of past masters whether they are painters or photographers.

There is no mysticism, and there is no need to invoke pseudo-science. The 6x6 format is favored by some principally because one does not have to think of format, whether you need to rotate your camera or camera backs, although admittedly the square format has its own inherent esthetics that can be pleasing to certain imageries.

My suggestion to you is to look at images. Lots of them. And see how images are framed, and decide for yourself what is more pleasing to you. Say an image of a person, smacked right in the middle or to positioned to the side. Undoubtedly there will be images that are "just right" smacked right centre, and there are those which are better off centred.

You may or may not find that images that are not so symmetrical tend to have a more dynamic feel to them.

NO ONE, in his right mind, will say that the "rule" is absolute. The "rule" is a guide to the novice and a reminder to the experts. Do not be a slave to it. Use it when your personal sense of esthetics requires it. Ignore it when you feel that your images are better off without it.

But to ignore such cumulative wisdom, to me, smacks of arrogance and pseudo-understanding.
    Last edited by student; 11th May 2006 at 09:47 AM.

Blog Entries

just remember one rule, your rule

if you take photos for yourself, then you are the judge.

go look at images, lots of them, look at the composition
    and decide what is nice and what is not.

When I say images it includes: paintings, posters, ads .. etc, etc
    do not restrict your self to photographs.

for goodness sake it is NOT a RULE TO BE FOLLOWEd EVERYTIME before u click that shutter button!!!!

sometime a 1/2 (although off-center) is better than the 2/3 lower/upper-left/right (same as 1/3 <--- depends on how u view it, like half-filled water and half-empty water)

for example u are trying to a scene off the sky. below the sky are the buildings, you cannot use the 2/3 or 1/3

if u are doing pattern photography, such rules are definately better and helps to bring focus to the correct pattern ...

Agreed.. u can get more creative pictures by breaking the rules.. sometimes..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12