Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Rules of third..

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kembangan
    Posts
    536

    Default Rules of third..

    Hi guys,

    I am still not very sure about the rules of third.

    Read some books about it but when i try it hands on,find that i still cant get the right thing.

    Can expert out there tell me more about it..

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,839
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry2308
    Hi guys,

    I am still not very sure about the rules of third.

    Read some books about it but when i try it hands on,find that i still cant get the right thing.

    Can expert out there tell me more about it..

    Thanks.
    http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutoria...se/thirds.html
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  3. #3

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    There's one rule and it's called the rule of thirds.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    My D70s can turn on or off this imaginer "rules of thirds" line....

    Regards,
    Arto.

  5. #5
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    My D70s can turn on or off this imaginer "rules of thirds" line....

    Regards,
    Arto.
    so can other D70s...

    from what i know, you divide your frame into 9 boxes by drawing 2 horizontal and 2 vertical lines, and at the intersection of these lines is where your subject should be place..
    eat. drink. shoot

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    so can other D70s...

    from what i know, you divide your frame into 9 boxes by drawing 2 horizontal and 2 vertical lines, and at the intersection of these lines is where your subject should be place..
    Wah... Others D70s can do that also hah... .

    It is imaginer line to help you to compose your photo, as evenstar+ already mentioned.

    Google the net, and you can find plenty of examples.

    It is good to learn rules of thirds, but "break the rules" sometimes can give you more exciting photo.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    D200 also have...

    there are other rule out there too...like golden means, golden section, etc... but at the end of the day, remember to enjoy shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Wah... Others D70s can do that also hah... .

    It is imaginer line to help you to compose your photo, as evenstar+ already mentioned.

    Google the net, and you can find plenty of examples.

    It is good to learn rules of thirds, but "break the rules" sometimes can give you more exciting photo.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    so can other D70s...

    from what i know, you divide your frame into 9 boxes by drawing 2 horizontal and 2 vertical lines, and at the intersection of these lines is where your subject should be place..
    Those who play sudoku wouldn't have much problems with that..

  9. #9
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    eat. drink. shoot

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Serangoon / Tampines
    Posts
    70

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    Yes... the D50 does lack the feature for the rule of thirds grid lines...

    But with some imagination, you can easily visualise the lines yourself right there in your view finder.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    Some people may become restricted by this rule (myself included at times), rules are made to be broken

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kembangan
    Posts
    536

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    ya..my D50 dose not have the the grid.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

    There's plenty of articles on the Internet talking about this "Rule of Thirds". Most of the time it works, but it doesn't mean that EVERY photograph you should should follow this rule. The principle is to EXPERIMENT.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    My D70s can turn on or off this imaginer "rules of thirds" line....

    Regards,
    Arto.
    Hmm.... actually if you have noticed, the D70 gridlines doesn't actually divides the viewfinder into thirds but rather into quarters. I made the same mistake too until one day i counted the number of lines in the viewfinder... hehe

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    Quote Originally Posted by frenchbean
    Hmm.... actually if you have noticed, the D70 gridlines doesn't actually divides the viewfinder into thirds but rather into quarters. I made the same mistake too until one day i counted the number of lines in the viewfinder... hehe
    Yeah... It is rules of fourths .

    As mentioned above, it is imaginer line to help you to compose the photo. Say you want to put horizont on the bottom line (on rules of thirds), "agak-agak" can put horizont on the most bottom line (slightly above it, if you are really really want to follow the rules) of D70s "on-demand grid lines" (that's what Nikon called it).

    Regards,
    Arto.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SG,Northern
    Posts
    1,036

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    Yeah... those r grid lines to help ensure dat ur horizontals n verticals r not slanted...

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SG,Northern
    Posts
    1,036

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    When referrin to Rule of 3rds, it actually means putting ur pt of focus out of e centre which is usually a third of e frame. Datz y its called Rule of 3rds...

    To do diz, u need to divide e whole frame into 3rds horizontally n vertically. Itz usually dun by means of imaginary lines...
    Last edited by hazta; 9th May 2006 at 03:46 PM.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SG,Northern
    Posts
    1,036

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    Quote Originally Posted by Tofu_man
    Yes... the D50 does lack the feature for the rule of thirds grid lines...

    But with some imagination, you can easily visualise the lines yourself right there in your view finder.
    Dun think there is a cam out there w Rule of 3rds lines built into them...

    If u notice, D50s also lack of e button for changin meterin n also DOF preview buttons.

    Y other cams hav them n also e grid lines? Coz D50s r meant for pros while e rest of e cams r not. Diz easy access buttons n grid lines r meant to ease amateurs in their shoot n to preview DOF prior to shootin... pros dun need all these coz they noe their stuff at e tip of their fingers...

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    225

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    Quote Originally Posted by hazta
    Y other cams hav them n also e grid lines? Coz D50s r meant for pros while e rest of e cams r not. Diz easy access buttons n grid lines r meant to ease amateurs in their shoot n to preview DOF prior to shootin... pros dun need all these coz they noe their stuff at e tip of their fingers...
    Yah, yah, I agree!

    Come to think of it, I should sell my D50 pro camera and buy a D200 since I'm a noobie...
    Last edited by superfly; 9th May 2006 at 05:08 PM.

  20. #20
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Rules of third..

    Quote Originally Posted by superfly
    Yah, yah, I agree!

    Come to think of it, I should sell my D50 pro camera and buy a D200 since I'm a noobie...
    Get the D2X instead ba..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •