Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Election Ballot

Default Re: Election Ballot

OT a bit, but up till now all the vote-counting has been done by hand under the watchful eyes of neutral parties. i tot this is a bit tedious and can make mistakes.

why dun they just implement something like 4D betslips and shade the boxes, once balloting time is closed, all the voteslips are fed into a reader and the results will be out real fast?

Quote Originally Posted by user12343
    why dun they just implement something like 4D betslips and shade the boxes, once balloting time is closed, all the voteslips are fed into a reader and the results will be out real fast?
    In that case you'll find a lot of 4D betting slips in the ballots boxes by mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    What do u recommend? Call in for the UN (consisting of the world, confirm, chop neutral) send in the troops as well to observe?

They can do that if they want. Just don't complain when u lose ur job and u see our currency dip lower and lower due to perceived thoughts by foreign investors on political and social instability.
    very gov sounding - nothing more than perceived fear?

independent electoral commissions are typically of developed countries (this first world/third world nomenclature is way passe )

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    That is a big exaggeration. elections should be handled by an independent commission that's not biased towards any party. that doesn't cause our country to seem unstable.
    This is how it is done in many countries.

Also it is a big exaggeration to say that foreigners have so much time and energy to believe our whole country's democratic integrity is at stake because of small administrative issues (ahem ahem.)
    Disagreed, completely.

What is independent commission? Or who is really independent? US? Britain?

Who do you think could be independent? Is it better to trust your own country persons or someone else?

Many countries have already proven that independent commissions are not that 'independent'.

You must have been hearing too much from some crap guy that is really trying too hard on this. After hearing what he said in days past very recently, it is really clear what his intentions were.

Too clear.

Quote Originally Posted by knoxknocks

independent electoral commissions are typically of developed countries (this first world/third world nomenclature is way passe )
    The word 'Independent' or noun 'independent commission' is really subjective. What is perceived fair in one part of the world is condemned in another. One man's meat is another man's poison.

It is hard for me to believe such 'independent commission' from so-called UN and overseas cannot be bribed or have pre-conceived ideas on how democracy ought to be. Democracy is subjective and really different levels or types of democracy should be practised in different regions. There is no one formula. They could end up forcing down your throat what they think democracy is.

The UN for one, is really messed up because there are too many differing ideas, too many controls.

I really wonder how independent commissions practise such independence. There are many countries who want Singapore down too. Or even so, our government. One ought to be more careful before suggesting things like this.

May I ask how you are going to elect or choose an independent commission?

Quote Originally Posted by user12343
    OT a bit, but up till now all the vote-counting has been done by hand under the watchful eyes of neutral parties. i tot this is a bit tedious and can make mistakes.

And u will get more conspiracy theories abt readers getting rigged and results are being fed to ISD to track our votes even more efficiently, faster, deadlier and with instantaneous results.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

How independent is independent?

Perceived fear is what u think it is and not what it really is. If u fear so much to the point that u're coerced into doing something that u dun like, u have a 3rd choice other than the other 2 choices of voting either-or.

Write into the Election Dept and renounce all ur political civil rights as well as the right to vote.

Ur right to choose. To vote either for A, for B, or dun vote and renounce all political civil rights.

BTW, spoiling ur own vote is useless. Even if u can get everyone in ur constituency to spoil their votes all but 3 ppl. Whoever gets 2 of the votes will still win an overwhelming majority.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Actualli ar....... if they want to scan ur voting tix.......there is a much easier n more inconspicuous way.......jus embed super thin RFID tags into each piece of voting paper. A box load of RFID tags needs prob 1 sec to scan n tt speed is consumer technology, not military tech.......military tech is prob faster. So while they push those boxes thru some doors, it cld be scanned. No more serial number tt makes pple tink too much. Faster n more efficient.
    There is a thousand and 1 ways to track if they want to (watch csi to find more styles), so y bother gettin so gittery abit it? Most of us here r prob some insignificant small fry to them. Guess they wont be bothered to make u vanish out of thin air.

How independent is independent?
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights
    The word 'Independent' or noun 'independent commission' is really subjective. What is perceived fair in one part of the world is condemned in another. One man's meat is another man's poison.

It is hard for me to believe such 'independent commission' from so-called UN and overseas cannot be bribed or have pre-conceived ideas on how democracy ought to be. Democracy is subjective and really different levels or types of democracy should be practised in different regions. There is no one formula. They could end up forcing down your throat what they think democracy is.

The UN for one, is really messed up because there are too many differing ideas, too many controls.

I really wonder how independent commissions practise such independence. There are many countries who want Singapore down too. Or even so, our government. One ought to be more careful before suggesting things like this.

May I ask how you are going to elect or choose an independent commission?
    I'm not referring to independent commissioners from UN or some "superpower". I was referring to an independent commission in Singapore itself. Having an electoral commission that is a government arm that reports into the Prime Minister's Office is a flaw in our "democratic" election process IMHO. Most election committees (http://www.electoralcommission.org.u...ommissions.cfm) are formed by appointment with full disclosure of information as a requisite.

How independent is independent? You're absolutely correct to say that it's difficult to judge independence, but wouldn't a first step be to have different representation in a style akin to that of Select Committees given that the overwhelming majority of parliament is from 1 party?
    Last edited by knoxknocks; 6th May 2006 at 08:06 PM.

I'm not referring to independent commissioners from UN or some "superpower". I was referring to an independent commission in Singapore itself. Having an electoral commission that is a government arm that reports into the Prime Minister's Office is a flaw in our "democratic" election process IMHO. Most election committees (http://www.electoralcommission.org.u...ommissions.cfm) are formed by appointment with full disclosure of information as a requisite.

How independent is independent? You're absolutely correct to say that it's difficult to judge independence, but wouldn't a first step be to have different representation in a style akin to that of Select Committees given that the overwhelming majority of parliament is from 1 party?
    I agree it is difficult to judge independence, and if you go for sports competitions (big scale or small scale) you will see that the people on the judging panels tend to be representatives of different interests (e.g olympics judges come from various countries, referees for World Cup games come from different countries, etc etc.) You can have representatives from various parties plus neutral parties to be on the committee so that they will balance each other out. The main thing is that no one faction has power over the whole committee, which is very dangerous for a democracy.

The important thing is that we must have checks and balances, and we must at least TRY before deciding if an idea is worthwhile or not.

I would also like to add that relinquishing control of something as important as the Electoral Committee will only enhance our reputation as a democracy.
    I trust my countrymen. I just don't trust that something as important as the Electoral Committee should be entrusted to people who are all supporting the same party.

Perceived fear is what u think it is and not what it really is. If u fear so much to the point that u're coerced into doing something that u dun like, u have a 3rd choice other than the other 2 choices of voting either-or.

Write into the Election Dept and renounce all ur political civil rights as well as the right to vote.

Ur right to choose. To vote either for A, for B, or dun vote and renounce all political civil rights.

BTW, spoiling ur own vote is useless. Even if u can get everyone in ur constituency to spoil their votes all but 3 ppl. Whoever gets 2 of the votes will still win an overwhelming majority.
    actually, i was drawing a parallel of what you said with how the *** creates exaggerated scenarios for what might happen if s'pore had more opposition, or a non-*** gov. If you noticed, they all link somehow to economic downfalls or political instability. This strategy has been used to keep the electorate in line at every election as far as i can remember.

A case in point - what the PM said about 2 mega oil projects hinging on the results of this poll which appeared on BT on 2/5. Would encourage you to read an alternative view to our MSM at http://commentarysingapore.blogspot....e_archive.html (scroll down to "Oh, Really?")

frankly, i am aware that i have a choice. i've been very much non-partisan up until this election and in the past chose to vote for who could really address and champion the issues close to my heart. This election has, for me, been an eye opener to who has chosen to tackle the real issues..

i think better stop here, or we'll be breaking the law on the ban on political commentary on forums.
    Last edited by knoxknocks; 6th May 2006 at 08:26 PM.

common... don't you guys remember the earlier election?

http://www.thinkcentre.org/article.cfm?ArticleID=1435

"Mr Gow Chok Tong had said that if 45 percent of the voters in any Hougang precinct voted for the ***, he would consider that precinct for upgrading." (Straits Times Nov 3, 2001)

The *** has narrowed down your votes to individual precincts.
    Last edited by wind30; 6th May 2006 at 08:38 PM.

This thread is going too fast,i just read up something here
    Scroll down until "your vote is secret" , they have the through procedure there.

The writing of the voter's serial number on the ballot paper counterfoil is to provide evidence if there is an allegation of impersonation. However, the tracing of votes is allowed only if there is an order from the High Court arising from an election petition. The High Court will issue such an order only if it is satisfied that a vote may have been fraudulently cast which may have affected the result of the election. So far, the Court has never issued such a tracing order.
    After Counting Night, all ballot papers and their counterfoils are sealed in the Supreme Court vault for 6 months, after which they will be burnt.
    The ballot paper number is still a feature of the UK parliamentary and local government elections. Singapore adopted its practice from the British.
    I hope this clarifies your doubts.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345