Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Election Ballot

Default Re: Election Ballot

Quote Originally Posted by philliptan
    My wife is Polling IC at one of the stations...

The serial number is for accountability (ie. X no. of slips issued = X no. of slips collected)
    Good grief! Great that you clarified.

Urban legends and rumours become facts like this. Now I understand how rumours become 'facts'.

True, but there will be another group out there that will claim...

"How do I know people DID NOT stuff the ballot boxes with extra voting slips?"

Quote Originally Posted by smtan24
    Better if they don't have the serial number to curb people's paranoid tendency.
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights
    Agreed!

It is a story cooked up by the Opposition for a very long time. It is an urban myth for a juicy conspirationist theory.

Voting is secret. After votes are counted, they are burnt...kaput...gone.

Very strange and doesn't seem right, leh. If it's a story cooked up by the opposition then they are shooting themselves in their foot. I don't think any opposition party, in their right frame of mind, will tell the voters that voting is not secret and the government will know which party they vote for. It's not in their interest to do so.

To what end? Some one still needs to open the sealed boxes and someone still needs to scan it.

The devil is in the detail.... HOW and WHEN does the opportunity present itself?

Quote Originally Posted by djork
    perhaps they could have something on the paper visible under uv light..

That's pure imagination and far-fetched.

Imagine how long the process would take for 1.22 million voters? How many scanners? I sure did not see any.

The government has already explained that thereafter, these are sealed and sent to theb incinerator.

Why are you so interested in coming out with far fetched imaginative ideas.

Every bit of talk comes responsibility.

Don't say it's for discussion at Kopitiam or something. It is the respect for the Office of the Singapore Government and what they explain to Singaporeans already.

I seriously think that before anyone types any thing especially towards topics dealing with governance must be responsible and think before you type. You might be doing something indirectly contributing harm towards democracy and transparency in the Republic of Singapore.

We are a small country. We also happen to have respectable status internationally. We have a unique culture, we also have a lack of natural resources and we need to move ahead of the rest of Asean, fast or we lose out.

Casting doubts on the electoral process is bad...really bad and every talk must come with responsibility.

How to scan when there is no bar code on the voting slip? I didn't see bar code on the voting slip today!

Quote Originally Posted by ykia
    From what I know of 4D (becoz I don't buy), there is a form that buyers need to shade, much like your exam papers for MCQ. The person behind the counter will then run it thru a scanner, an optical mark reader specially designed for reading the 4D paper, that picks up the shading and prints a receipt for you.

For voting, there is no touching of the voting slips except by yourself and the counting agent who counts infront of the political parties. Again this is done on a simple table. After counted, it is replaced into the cardboard box and resealed and signed by the political parties.

So, where is there an opportunity to scan it?
    Same form, you put a cross on the same places and there a series number. If there such a machine for 4D betting slip to do that, what stopping whom ever want to do it Only one moral ethic

Quote Originally Posted by singscott
    Same form, you put a cross on the same places and there a series number. If there such a machine for 4D betting slip to do that, what stopping whom ever want to do it Only one moral ethic
    Technically, it is possible but all the votes are manually counted in front of the members from both parties to ensure transparency. No way one could cheat on it. If either party is not satisfied with the overall result, they can always request for a re-count.
    Last edited by redstorm; 6th May 2006 at 02:06 PM.

A disclaimer here. I am not saying there people in our country want to track who vote for whom. But the truth is not difficult where there a serial number, a given simple form and technology.

Smile Re: Election Ballot

well, i think your wife's explanation is more convincing than wong kan seng's.

Quote Originally Posted by philliptan
    My wife is Polling IC at one of the stations...

The serial number is for accountability (ie. X no. of slips issued = X no. of slips collected)

... and the opportunity to scan is when? Remember, it must be hidden from the political parties present and during the time of counting becoz it will be resealed.

Quote Originally Posted by ykia
    ... and the opportunity to scan is when? Remember, it must be hidden from the political parties present and during the time of counting becoz it will be resealed.
    The thing here are the timing and the seal right. If they just want to know who vote what, they no need to do that on the spot. Then there six months to finding the "right" timing. Of course the boxes are seal and sign on the spot by representives of both parties. Shocking to you those seals can be forge quite easily once they are done with it. I know my client alway ask me to recreat things they have not fix or put on their product prototype on to their product image. So what a seal with two signature? Easy. Of course unless they are check by professional before they are burn. Where I got the idea? See the movies Oh in the first place I was stating it does not need to take 999 manhours to counter check who vote whom if they want to And I don't think they will want to
    Last edited by singscott; 6th May 2006 at 02:52 PM.

Hehehe.... good one!

But, aiyoh... there are simplier DAILY ways to track how you feel about who you will vote if such extreme is needed. Why wait only every 5 years to do so? By then, won't it be too late? Shouldn't the time to "change your mind" take place BEFORE polling day so that a person gets elected or re-elected? Afterall, why risk the chance of not getting elected in the first place?

The thing here are the timing and the seal right. If they just want to know who vote what, they no need to do that on the spot. Then there six months to finding the "right" timing. Of course the boxes are seal and sign on the spot by representives of both parties. Shocking to you those seals can be forge quite easily once they are done with it. I know my client alway ask me to recreat things they have not fix or put on their product prototype on to their product image. So what a seal with two signature? Easy. Of course unless they are check by professional before they are burn. Where I got the idea? See the movies Oh in the first place I was stating it does not need to take 999 manhours to counter check who vote whom if they want to And I don't think they will
    Last edited by ykia; 6th May 2006 at 03:04 PM.

Beware of who to vote...dun kana 'mark' yea...

Quote Originally Posted by bumberbee
    Even if they have to means to "track" you ... if any such actions are known or caught ... can you imagine what kind of consequences and reputation damage there would be ... I think they will think twice before doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm
    Very strange and doesn't seem right, leh. If it's a story cooked up by the opposition then they are shooting themselves in their foot. I don't think any opposition party, in their right frame of mind, will tell the voters that voting is not secret and the government will know which party they vote for. It's not in their interest to do so.
    Well, u'll be surprised abt how far-fetched conspiracy theorists can bring certain things to.

From tracking votes, death threats and monitoring ur daily life.

And in case we're all wondering about 'the liberal democracy of the West and free ideals', countries like Britian, Australia, Canada and some place closer to home like Malaysia have serial numbers on the paper votes as well.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by bumberbee
    Hey! I din know guests can actually post here!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights
    Casting doubts on the electoral process is bad...really bad and every talk must come with responsibility.
    uh considering that they can pinpoint how many votes came from each area in each ward, what makes you think they don't know more than that? There must be a better way than to shout serial numbers here and there.

Also, since the Electoral commission is under the office of the Prime Minister, I'm hardpressed to say that the electoral process is so clean.

What do u recommend? Call in for the UN (consisting of the world, confirm, chop neutral) send in the troops as well to observe?

They can do that if they want. Just don't complain when u lose ur job and u see our currency dip lower and lower due to perceived thoughts by foreign investors on political and social instability.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    What do u recommend? Call in for the UN (consisting of the world, confirm, chop neutral) send in the troops as well to observe?

They can do that if they want. Just don't complain when u lose ur job and u see our currency dip lower and lower due to perceived thoughts by foreign investors on political and social instability.
    That is a big exaggeration. elections should be handled by an independent commission that's not biased towards any party. that doesn't cause our country to seem unstable.
    This is how it is done in many countries.

Also it is a big exaggeration to say that foreigners have so much time and energy to believe our whole country's democratic integrity is at stake because of small administrative issues (ahem ahem.)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast