Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Election Ballot

Default Re: Election Ballot

yah lor, no worries one lah. i've voted against before and no problems. still alive and kicking

anyway, a good read http://www.wp.sg/ge2006/news.php?NID=6

I also got no 4D

Quote Originally Posted by Yeowww
    thank you for giving me HOPE. now, let me withdraw all my progress package amount and whack all into yr number!!!!

HUAT AH !!!

Hey, bro, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Play small, small and win enough to buy whatever in your wish list. U punted all your Progress Package on my number? Wow, ur wishlist must be pretty long, huh?

Disclaimer: don't blame me if we don't strike this weekend (touchwood!).

No offence but some of you guys are just paranoid. Your vote is secret. What's the point of casting your vote if it isnt a secret?

Quote Originally Posted by smtan24
    Just went for voting today. However I notice something today that I found disturbing. The ballot paper had a serial number. Ealier on before I got the ballot they tore it from a booklet where the guy there wrote my number. Any others who notice this.
    The basis of accountability to traceback any dubious phantom votes is the basis for the serial number on the ballot paper my friend.

So, any suggestions for absolute accountability and absolute anonymity?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    No offence but some of you guys are just paranoid. Your vote is secret. What's the point of casting your vote if it isnt a secret?
    That why intertesting the topic la

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    is there a electoral commission in singapore?
    Elections Dept counts as the Electorial Commission here.

Unless u regard them as [insert anti-govt nasties] with conspiracy theories abound in ur mind dismissing the neutrality of the Elections Dept and the Civil Service.

My wife is Polling IC at one of the stations...

The serial number is for accountability (ie. X no. of slips issued = X no. of slips collected)
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

True: they may know how a block or ward votes, but never pinpoint the individual.

If you have voted this morning, you will notice that the voting box is a plain cardboard box, with the appropriate seals, resting on a simple table or chair.

Question: How to put scanner to scan?

Quote Originally Posted by singscott
    I think it quicker then that. Now got scaning and automated tracking computer that can counter check such details in minutes. Farthermore the votes are in ballot box that they break into different sector or estate that cut down the amount to check in each GRC or single ward
    Last edited by ykia; 6th May 2006 at 12:46 PM.
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm
    Hey, bro, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Play small, small and win enough to buy whatever in your wish list. U punted all your Progress Package on my number? Wow, ur wishlist must be pretty long, huh?

Disclaimer: don't blame me if we don't strike this weekend (touchwood!).
    oooiii, brother, i havent buy, a disclaimer come out alreadi....don worry, i wont ask u to EXPLAIN one la.....

relax, don panic.....i got 2 heads one hor.... normally just bet a few bucks nia...

keeping the rest for World Cup ....

Hey Phil... did Vel bring brownies there, too?

Quote Originally Posted by philliptan

The serial number is for accountability (ie. X no. of slips issued = X no. of slips collected)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeowww
    oooiii, brother, i havent buy, a disclaimer come out alreadi....don worry, i wont ask u to EXPLAIN one la.....

relax, don panic.....i got 2 heads one hor.... normally just bet a few bucks nia...

keeping the rest for World Cup ....
    Heng ah, good luck to us.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm
    Heng ah, good luck to us.
    redstorm & Yeowww

HUAT AH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ykia
    Question: How to put scanner to scan?
    How they do it for your 4D betting slips So many people buy 4D very week yet they take only seconds to check you win or not , where you brought the wining tickets, how much you won and the ticket is real or not

Quote Originally Posted by philliptan

We can get all the ppl in the Elections Dept to dismiss the serial number myth (as propagated by JBJ), swear everyone to secrecy on the actual voting process, show everyone the voting process....

At the end of the day, there will STILL be people who will say, "ISD is tracking ur votes!"

If ppl choose to be paranoid, we can't help them if they choose to live their lives in jitters eh?

From what I know of 4D (becoz I don't buy), there is a form that buyers need to shade, much like your exam papers for MCQ. The person behind the counter will then run it thru a scanner, an optical mark reader specially designed for reading the 4D paper, that picks up the shading and prints a receipt for you.

For voting, there is no touching of the voting slips except by yourself and the counting agent who counts infront of the political parties. Again this is done on a simple table. After counted, it is replaced into the cardboard box and resealed and signed by the political parties.

So, where is there an opportunity to scan it?

Quote Originally Posted by singscott
    How they do it for your 4D betting slips So many people buy 4D very week yet they take only seconds to check you win or not , where you brought the wining tickets, how much you won and the ticket is real or not
    Last edited by ykia; 6th May 2006 at 01:03 PM.

Better if they don't have the serial number to curb people's paranoid tendency.

Agreed & well said!

Unless you work as a returning officer at one of the polling centers, it is easy to overlook the security & process put in place to ensure your vote is secret, and cast doubt on it.

It is not nice to doubt the security & process until a thorough understanding or contradictary evidence is shown.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    We can get all the ppl in the Elections Dept to dismiss the serial number myth (as propagated by JBJ), swear everyone to secrecy on the actual voting process, show everyone the voting process....

At the end of the day, there will STILL be people who will say, "ISD is tracking ur votes!"

If ppl choose to be paranoid, we can't help them if they choose to live their lives in jitters eh?

Quote Originally Posted by ykia
    The calling out of your name & the 4-digit serial number is for the POLLING AGENT (the witness from each political party) to mark against their name list so that there is a check and balance that each eligible voter votes only once.

The serial number behind your voting slip is only for "authenticity" purposes in case there is a dispute on the genuineness of the slip.

Think about it...

1.22 million voters, slips are counted in front of the potlictical parties, boxes are sealed & signed and kept in a vault for 6 months, no one allowed to open it unless there is a dispute and then infront of the political parties again. At the end of six months, the political parties inspect the seals and follow it to Tuas for burning. The only time the slips are seen by people is when is counted between 8pm 6 may to next day (at the most 24 hours).

...where got time to "scan" the slips? It takes about 340 hours (nearly 2 weeks) to scan them 24X7 assuming one second per slip. And where got chance to "open the box" without the opposition knowing.

YOUR VOTE IS SECRET

The myth of the voting slip has been around for the last 30 years... even before scanners
    Agreed!

It is a story cooked up by the Opposition for a very long time. It is an urban myth for a juicy conspirationist theory.

Voting is secret. After votes are counted, they are burnt...kaput...gone.

perhaps they could have something on the paper visible under uv light..
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast