Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One week in Myanmar, how to plan?

Default Re: One week in Myanmar, how to plan?

Quote Originally Posted by tomshen
    I have just sent a reservation request from the above URL. Don't know how to pay yet. Is it safe to pay with credit card? Still wait for the reply. BTW, if I want to take a flight from Inle lake area to Yangon, where should I depart by air? My destination will be Yangon-Bagan-Inle Lake-Yangon. With internal flight, I may have a bit more time in walking/shooting around instead of sleeping on a bus!
    Its probably your style to walk about and shoot as you see things instead of going on a tour ... but in Myanmar, sometimes it may be difficult because in Bagan and Inle Lake, there are no public transportation. All transport are usually pre-arranged ... esp in Inle Lake where the main transportation is by boat.

For the air portion you would need to book the following : -
    Yangon to Bagan / Bagan to Heho / Heho to Yangon

Heho is the airport closest to Inle Lake ... and that is still about 45 mins away. So you will need to get some transportation to get you from the airport to the pier to board the boat.

You probably do not need to book from the website as that web is hosted in France, a GSA of Air Mandalay; not the airlines website itself ... Let me know if you have the dates confirmed and I will get someone to help you secure the tickets in Yangon. They can deliver the ticket to you at your Yangon hotel or at the airport when you arrive on Jet Star.

RGDs

Quote Originally Posted by Long Thai Bean
    Its probably your style to walk about and shoot as you see things instead of going on a tour ... but in Myanmar, sometimes it may be difficult because in Bagan and Inle Lake, there are no public transportation. All transport are usually pre-arranged ... esp in Inle Lake where the main transportation is by boat.

For the air portion you would need to book the following : -
    Yangon to Bagan / Bagan to Heho / Heho to Yangon

Heho is the airport closest to Inle Lake ... and that is still about 45 mins away. So you will need to get some transportation to get you from the airport to the pier to board the boat.

You probably do not need to book from the website as that web is hosted in France, a GSA of Air Mandalay; not the airlines website itself ... Let me know if you have the dates confirmed and I will get someone to help you secure the tickets in Yangon. They can deliver the ticket to you at your Yangon hotel or at the airport when you arrive on Jet Star.

RGDs
    wow that's great. I will contact you privately next week, let me discuss with my wife first. Thanks so much!

Hi,

I'm planning to go Myanmar too either 5-7 days ard jun or jul. Any good advice?
    Is the yangon airport close to the city itself? cos first day will stay there before flying.
    My plan is to take intermal flight from yangon to heho then proceed to kalaw for a trek to inle lake. spend a day there before flying back to yangon.
    but if it's a short trip of 5d, then will do the trek from inle lake instead of kalaw. thks.

1) Yangon airport is near the city, less than 20 mins by bus, car what have you.
    2) Yes you need a visa to go into Myanmar, if you are a reporter, photographer, director or anything that implies you are from the Media, dont put that down in your application. Say you are a teacher, engineer whatever. If put media, most likely visa denied.
    3) To enjoy Inle Lake fully, try to spend at least 2 nights there, can go explore the jumping cat temple, and some arts and crafts. Good photo taking opportunities.
    4) The area around Trader's hotel Yangon is a street market, lots of stuff to see. And Aung San market sells jade and all....

Things to Note
    1) Be careful of fake gemstones and Jade
    2) Be careful of what you say about politics and dont go kaypoh, go look at Aung San Su Yi's house....

Other than that... the people are friendly and generally you will be fine.

If I manage to contact two good friends (they have not been replying emails) I will try to see if can pass you their contacts. One is a tour guide whose clients have included LKY's brother and the Shaw Brothers. The other the manager of the Inle Lake hotel.

Thks for the info centuryegg!

If put civil servant will i be denied entry? yup, i checked out the visa portion, need S$35 and can go embassy to do, problem is, the timing during office hours.
    Anyone been there trekking? I think the time I go is not good, lots of rain and sun. hehe...

I'm not too interested in gemstones and jade, but thanks for the reminder. Will bear that in mind if I wanna buy these stuff.

Would be good to have more contacts(but sounds high level...are they from their government?). Thks in advance.

oh no they are not from the govt, the tour guide just happened to have had high profile people as her clients and became her friends. She's my "sister" in a way. And the other guy is just the manager of the hotel in Inle Lake. Its like a kelong on a lake. But got hot water and all.. they have their own generator.

Putting civil servant should be fine but best if use something generic. They are still quite touchy about foreigners. Oh yeah you do know that there is no phone network there yah? So settle all your matters before going there. Once you are inside, no handphones... yup they have no mobile network only their own which is mainly used by influential locals.

Although I said they are friendly, be careful of touts in the streets. Its more or less to your own judgment.... However having said that I once sat by the street in Chinatown and had their version of Satay and beer and ended up having a long conversation with this elderly gentleman and stranger who turned out to be a school principal...

One thing to note... avoid visiting temples like Shwedangon between 12 to 3 pm.... reason is simple... it is sorching hot.... as you have to go barefoot... I tell you your feet will burn! And as all the pagodas are either gold plated or gold painted.. you will get blinded by the glare.... Oh yeah one more thing wear slippers or sandals cos you will have to leave your shoes at the door and you wouldnt want to take out and put on, take out and put on and for your missus, no short skirts, shorts or spagetti or singlets.... It will be no entry.... for yourself best to wear light linen pants or 3 quarters.. no shorts too... its taken as a sign of disrespect.

If you sit down, dont point your leg towards the buddha statue, extremely Disrespectful.
    Avoid talking about Thailand too... the burmese and the thais REALLY cannot get along, not reported in the press, but they have the occassional border skrimish..... yeah the thais lob a few artillery shells across the border and the burmese return fire or vice versa. And people die.....

Oh, i didn't know there's no network coverage for hp, thought singtel will have. Thks for the advice. So I guess you have to buy prepaid phonecards, or that does not work as well?

Ya, never thought of not going to the temples during mid day...

Yup, I read about the attire to wear for visiting the temples. Thanks.

So I guess Thai Bhat is not usable there then, since they are not exactly on friendly terms. hehe...

1) No, Singtel has no network, and dont bother about to use phone cards either, cost u a bomb as you are dialling to IDD line in order to connect to card's phone number. Have to use hotel phones which are charged by USD. So try not to make calls. Yeah I forgot to tell you everything there is in USD or Kyat. Kyat is their local currency. Credit cards work only at major hotels, can forget about using them anywhere else. Try not to change too much Kyat, instead carry USD on you. Reason simple. Kyat is worthless once you leave the country.... no money changer in Singapore want to take...

2) No dont go flashing Thai Baht or go speak in Thai.... I AM NOT JOKING.... you can get yourself hammered...... Met this girl before... nice and gentle... when we talked about Thailand... OMG... she changed man.... and this statement came out "I HATE THAI PEOPLE, MY FRIEND ARMY OFFICER DIE, SHOT BY THAIS" The enemity goes back a long way to the days of the elephant wars.... yeah the thais, cambodians and burmese fought a long war cos of some white elephants..... supposed to be the symbol of power. In fact Siam Reap in Cambodia... the translation is Defeat of Siam.. cos the Siamese Army lost a major battle there to the Khmers (cambodians) This hatred is now further fueled by the fact the Burmese have their drug factories and the thai border and are supplying the Thai drug market.

3) Note that monks are regarded very highly in Myanmar, so give your seats to monks, and be respectful even if you are not Buddhist. It will earn you the respect of the people.... and scorn if they find that you are disrespectful. and note women cannot touch Monks and some places are off limits to women.... so dont go women's rights this and that over there.

4) Oh yeah dont bring Lonely Planet's Mynmar guide book, it is banned in Mynamar.

Hope I didnt scare you. Basically truthfully speaking Myanmar is a military run country and things are very different from the rest of Asia cos time stood still there. And they are close off from the outside world. But as long as you dont do stupid things like go visit Aung San Su Yi, go shouting in the streets "FREEDOM!! VIVA USA!!! DEMOCRACY TO THE PEOPLE!!" you will be fine cos the military welcomes your tourist dollar.

Need any help, PM me.

Thks for the advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12