Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to be a wedding photographer??

Deregistered

Default Re: how to be a wedding photographer??

Quote Originally Posted by jeryltan
    I'm just curious.. Wouldn't a 17-40 f4 be more useful.. It's going to be risky using f2.8 is group shoots.. If the last few pple on either ends are not lined up properly, their pictures are going to come up blurr right?
    f/2.8 glass must shoot at f/2.8 meh?

Quote Originally Posted by jeryltan
    I'm just curious.. Wouldn't a 17-40 f4 be more useful.. It's going to be risky using f2.8 is group shoots.. If the last few pple on either ends are not lined up properly, their pictures are going to come up blurr right?
    who will shoot a table group photos at f2.8?

Default Re: How to be a wedding photographer??

Re: How to be a wedding photographer??

The question should be : Do you really want to be a wedding photographer ? or What it takes to be a (good) wedding photographer ?

i have 5 words for you :

Focus, Determination, Hard work, Discipline and Humility

Ya hor.. Didn't think of that

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    f/2.8 glass must shoot at f/2.8 meh?

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    here's my "life story" of a weddnig photographer.

started out shooting three unpaid (only by angpow) weddings b4 i but the bullet and decided to go solo, so got my first solo wedding for i think it was $600. so the first 3 free + 1 paid wedding spans over hmm.. 6 months?

before that i was more or less OK with technical aspects of photography. equipment used was a non-pro dslr with non-pro lenses (if i remember correctly it was an s2 pro with afs24-85, sb80dx, back up with cp5700)

all this was done while i was working full time. while i got more weddings to shoot, it was still very little, as i was new and not well known. so within 12 months i think i shot at most 15 paid weddings, mostly via word of mouth. also sometime durnig these 12 months, i selected a couple's wedding to print as portfolio, and i also did a collage album of selected couples to use as a portfolio or showcase, always display your best work. i was lucky to come from a graphic design background so layout was quite easy for me.

the second year got more serious, i started to get mentioned in bridal forums but still worked off the venerable clubsnap webspace gallery as my online portfolio. nothing professional, but it gets the job done, and was never or seldom down (thanx clubsnap!!)

i started post whoring my pics, with couples' permission. to get known, u have to show ur pics, thick skin abit. but skin cannot too thick until lousy pics also post and hope for the best. this is one thing i cannot stress more, if your pics don't pass IN YOUR EYES, don't expect it to pass other pple's. couple that statement with another : be your own harshest critic, and you now know how i push myself.

i remember during my first few solo weddings, i was sh!tting my pants during the first march in, didn't catch probably how? they walk too fast then blur how? the spot light come on then exposure gone how? i was a total wreck ESPECIALLY at the first march in, but that's when good nerves and determination comes in. another thing to take note is that you cannot be self-conscious. if you are constantly thinking that pple are looking at wat u are doing and scrutinising you, u put extra unnecessary stress on yourself.

the rest of it is pretty much the same with anything in life. u want something u gotta go get it. it's not gonna land on your lap. technical stuff like marketing skills, ps skills, shooting skills all can learn and train, but attitude have to be from within. passion. and as jon has mentioned, you have to LIKE weddings THEN u have to like running a business.

i think i've shared this on CS b4.. but i'll say this again.

there were a couple of times during the speech at the banquet that it was so touching that i found myself listening intently to the couple, until i FORGOT to shoot. i was so consumed with the emotion that filled the whole room that i forgot i was the photographer. fortunately, i only missed a few tears from the mother and sisters, but recovered quickly enough to continue shooting.

i remember one speech vividly, where the bride was deeply grateful for her father for brining up three daughters single-handedly as her mother had passed on when she was very young. the father never remarried to respect his late wife. she was overjoyed that her father did such a great job of painstakingly bringing three girls up, but at the same time in tears that her mother wasn't around to witness the event. tears flowed unabatedly.

it is a very HUMANE subject, love. coupled with the complications of photography and running a business; this is NOT for everyone. i hope no one takes it lightly that "weddings are easy to make a quick buck". if you do not stress shooting a wedding, u are not giving due respect to a couple's once in a lifetime most important event.

p/s i'd like to mention against the concensus that i NEVER followed anyone to learn from them (the free shoots as second photographer was just a watch and see, i never did talk much to the main photog for fear of disturbing him). yes i've taken heed from advise from wedding photographers, and viewed images from them to see how weddnigs are shot, but i NEVER did follow a pro to specifically learn how he shoots. i see at least ONE advantage in that, and that is my style evolved by itself, not necessarily following anyone becos i never had that chance. of course, following a pro could help more than the way i did it, i don't disagree.
    thx for share ,tat's good for me also who r wish to be a wedding photographer...

Quote Originally Posted by Enchanted
    Re: How to be a wedding photographer??

The question should be : Do you really want to be a wedding photographer ? or What it takes to be a (good) wedding photographer ?

i have 5 words for you :

Focus, Determination, Hard work, Discipline and Humility
    thx ur 5 words....

I think to be a wedding photographer, or shld I say to be a successful wedding photographer
    other than the obvious like technical abilities, style and communication skills you also need a fair bit of EQ. I observe that there are lots of so-called big name photographers (both local and internationally) who works I consider so-so only yet they are very successful. I believe EQ plays a part in all this. Knowing when and how to phrase a particular sentence, to deliver a punchline that can win over clients instantly is the key...........hope you get what i mean good luck

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    here's my "life story" of a weddnig photographer.

started out shooting three unpaid (only by angpow) weddings b4 i but the bullet and decided to go solo, so got my first solo wedding for i think it was $600. so the first 3 free + 1 paid wedding spans over hmm.. 6 months?

before that i was more or less OK with technical aspects of photography. equipment used was a non-pro dslr with non-pro lenses (if i remember correctly it was an s2 pro with afs24-85, sb80dx, back up with cp5700)

all this was done while i was working full time. while i got more weddings to shoot, it was still very little, as i was new and not well known. so within 12 months i think i shot at most 15 paid weddings, mostly via word of mouth. also sometime durnig these 12 months, i selected a couple's wedding to print as portfolio, and i also did a collage album of selected couples to use as a portfolio or showcase, always display your best work. i was lucky to come from a graphic design background so layout was quite easy for me.

the second year got more serious, i started to get mentioned in bridal forums but still worked off the venerable clubsnap webspace gallery as my online portfolio. nothing professional, but it gets the job done, and was never or seldom down (thanx clubsnap!!)

i started post whoring my pics, with couples' permission. to get known, u have to show ur pics, thick skin abit. but skin cannot too thick until lousy pics also post and hope for the best. this is one thing i cannot stress more, if your pics don't pass IN YOUR EYES, don't expect it to pass other pple's. couple that statement with another : be your own harshest critic, and you now know how i push myself.

i remember during my first few solo weddings, i was sh!tting my pants during the first march in, didn't catch probably how? they walk too fast then blur how? the spot light come on then exposure gone how? i was a total wreck ESPECIALLY at the first march in, but that's when good nerves and determination comes in. another thing to take note is that you cannot be self-conscious. if you are constantly thinking that pple are looking at wat u are doing and scrutinising you, u put extra unnecessary stress on yourself.

the rest of it is pretty much the same with anything in life. u want something u gotta go get it. it's not gonna land on your lap. technical stuff like marketing skills, ps skills, shooting skills all can learn and train, but attitude have to be from within. passion. and as jon has mentioned, you have to LIKE weddings THEN u have to like running a business.

i think i've shared this on CS b4.. but i'll say this again.

there were a couple of times during the speech at the banquet that it was so touching that i found myself listening intently to the couple, until i FORGOT to shoot. i was so consumed with the emotion that filled the whole room that i forgot i was the photographer. fortunately, i only missed a few tears from the mother and sisters, but recovered quickly enough to continue shooting.

i remember one speech vividly, where the bride was deeply grateful for her father for brining up three daughters single-handedly as her mother had passed on when she was very young. the father never remarried to respect his late wife. she was overjoyed that her father did such a great job of painstakingly bringing three girls up, but at the same time in tears that her mother wasn't around to witness the event. tears flowed unabatedly.

it is a very HUMANE subject, love. coupled with the complications of photography and running a business; this is NOT for everyone. i hope no one takes it lightly that "weddings are easy to make a quick buck". if you do not stress shooting a wedding, u are not giving due respect to a couple's once in a lifetime most important event.

p/s i'd like to mention against the concensus that i NEVER followed anyone to learn from them (the free shoots as second photographer was just a watch and see, i never did talk much to the main photog for fear of disturbing him). yes i've taken heed from advise from wedding photographers, and viewed images from them to see how weddnigs are shot, but i NEVER did follow a pro to specifically learn how he shoots. i see at least ONE advantage in that, and that is my style evolved by itself, not necessarily following anyone becos i never had that chance. of course, following a pro could help more than the way i did it, i don't disagree.
    Very good advice.

do u guys carry 2 cameras at a time during wedding?

Quote Originally Posted by simon80
    I think in the days of film, got lah. One b&w roll, the other colour. Now will just carry one camera, the other back-up remains in the bag. Last time I tried to carry 2 cameras (+ bag), always end up tangling with the straps.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

depend on your styles, if not use to it, will definitely slow you down.

so u guys will change lens instead of having 2 bodies?
    and do u all wear a vest?

Quote Originally Posted by betazone
    I think to be a wedding photographer, or shld I say to be a successful wedding photographer
    other than the obvious like technical abilities, style and communication skills you also need a fair bit of EQ. I observe that there are lots of so-called big name photographers (both local and internationally) who works I consider so-so only yet they are very successful. I believe EQ plays a part in all this. Knowing when and how to phrase a particular sentence, to deliver a punchline that can win over clients instantly is the key...........hope you get what i mean good luck
    betazone,

I have to agree on your observation

To be a successful wedding photographer, one of the factor is PR and communication skill.
    One's work maybe so-so, or even deemed below average, however he could make-up for it the other aspect, like good Public Relations and communication skill, or you called it "EQ".

However, i'm not a subscriber to such techniques, and even at times detest pros who abused it.
    I guess, pros who play largely or solely on this techniques, will have to face the TRUTH someday, and believed the Clients that they attract are mainly people with 'low self-esteem and are basically clueless about their life direction'.

Anyway, the service buyer market consist of many kind of Clients and Consumers, and you just need to focus on attracting your 'Preferred Kind'.

I have a saying -- If you are Sweet, you'll attract the honey Bees and beautiful Butterflies; if you are a piece of Sh*t, you'll attract the dung Beetles and the biting Flies. And Time will tell.
    Last edited by Enchanted; 12th May 2006 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enchanted
    I have a saying -- If you are Sweet, you'll attract the honey Bees and beautiful Butterflies; if you are a piece of Sh*t, you'll attract the dung Beetles and the biting Flies. And Time will tell.
    thing is, many people don't want sweet, they just want cheap...and even when it is cheap, they want freebies...and in order not to cut your own throat and to get good word of mouth, have to play the PR game when telling them to go fly a kite...

sometimes, it is convenient to have to two bodies...you may spot something interesting far away, and if you take the time to change lenses, you might just miss that moment...I have seen people with 3 cams...one slung on each shoulder and one around the neck...a bit overkill but there are those...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    thing is, many people don't want sweet, they just want cheap...and even when it is cheap, they want freebies...and in order not to cut your own throat and to get good word of mouth, have to play the PR game when telling them to go fly a kite...

sometimes, it is convenient to have to two bodies...you may spot something interesting far away, and if you take the time to change lenses, you might just miss that moment...I have seen people with 3 cams...one slung on each shoulder and one around the neck...a bit overkill but there are those...
    i agree , most of ppl just wish can get the cheap price n pics are clear who are inside... art or photographer style?? who care, unless he/she are very rich n hire a very very famous pro photographer,maybe they know to share ur art style at their pics...

people with 3 cams...one slung on each shoulder and one around the neck...a bit overkill but there are those

i think they(pro photographer) are very very passion at their own job, n won't wish to miss out any unforrgettable moments... that's y call they are very pro photographer n service...
    Last edited by joey91; 13th May 2006 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joey91
    i think they(pro photographer) are very very passion at their own job, n won't wish to miss out any unforrgettable moments... that's y call they are very pro photographer n service...
    very pro is when they carry one camera...and then the assitant carry the other 2 cameras plus a bag full of lenses...

shoot what client wants...but also shoot some that you like...you can then use it as your portfolio even if client don't really like them...

so u guys will change lens instead of having 2 bodies?
    and do u all wear a vest?

depends on the photographer style, i always use 2 bodies at any time, one with flash the other with a prime lens.

As for vest, its has to be the one most passe fashion item photographers never go out of. i always try to blend with the crowd and formal clothings when the hosts demands it. So vests are a huge turn off for me.Unless its a Starwars theme and every wants to look like Ham Sotong.

Deregistered

Some tips I've learnt from friends in this circle

1. TAG along, not TAP along. Tag = follow. Tap = dancing??
    2. Backup equipment, even if they're using different batteries etc. Cameras can jam, flashes can burn out.
    3. Don't say yes to shooting below your minimum price. Your meals that you have a day, aren't getting cheaper because you asked.
    4. Make sure your photos can be digested and appreciated by the family. Not just for your appreciation and the couples' eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    As for vest, its has to be the one most passe fashion item photographers never go out of. i always try to blend with the crowd and formal clothings when the hosts demands it. So vests are a huge turn off for me.Unless its a Starwars theme and every wants to look like Ham Sotong.

Ouch! for having vest during shoot and being a Star Wars geek!

This vest thing is not neccessary. But I find it quite useful to carry extra lens/es, extra set of batteries for camera and flash and CF cards also. I also have a pen and some name cards in the chest pockets so I can give namecards and note down things for potential customers.

Also hand phone, Cigarettes & light...he he so my pants pockets won't be bulging with these.

Its all personal perference when comes to fashion accessories...ha ha
    Last edited by TrailsofLife; 14th May 2006 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    depends on the photographer style, i always use 2 bodies at any time, one with flash the other with a prime lens.

just curious. Carrying 2 camera bodies can blend in easier than someone with vest + 1 camera?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast