Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to be a wedding photographer??

Default Re: How to be a wedding photographer??

i got know some wedding photographer got use 12-24 for indoor group pics..
    here are the sample of the wedding Photographer pics

Thanks for the pointers, everyone

Quote Originally Posted by joey91
    i got know some wedding photographer got use 12-24 for indoor group pics..
    here are the sample of the wedding Photographer pics
    I think this person has explained it very well, overuse it at the wide end, the photos will be unflattering.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsin
    I have Nikkor 12-24 and shoot a lot of weddings with it. got to be careful lor. at 17-24...very good general use for almost 80% of my shots. but at 12-17...gotto be very selective of wut u shoot. but the 12mm is awesome for table-to-table "yamseng" shots...can cover almost 85% of the table and great for ballroom shots and table decor shots and maybe some creative shots. but for group pics...stick to 20mm and above.

on the topic of english, (altho it is rather off topic wrt to this thread), i feel no matter what you do in life, photography or otherwise, effective communication is important. if u can effectively communicate with another language other than english, than no problem. however if u come to a situation where english is needed for communication and you have a problem with it, something's gotta be done. i repeat, it is not just confined to being a wedding photographer.

reason why i say this? two examples.

1. i continually get asked if i can speak chinese by my couples, becos generally i'm a pretty "ang moh" person, my english is spoken well and my couples worry that i can't speak chinese, to which i start speaking in chinese to them and they are appeased, and the reason is becos i need to be able to communicate to their parents or grand parents whom might not speak good or any english.

2. i had a friend whose wedding photographer was caucasian and she said she actually got stressed out when she had to translate everything the photographer said to her relatives whom didn't speak english. she even wanted to explain some things to him in chinese as her more comfortable language was chinese but she had to use PURE english.

so basically i'm trying to say, yes, no need to speak well to be a good photographer, but perhaps need to speak well to get jobs and to be understood.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    on the topic of english, (altho it is rather off topic wrt to this thread), i feel no matter what you do in life, photography or otherwise, effective communication is important. if u can effectively communicate with another language other than english, than no problem. however if u come to a situation where english is needed for communication and you have a problem with it, something's gotta be done. i repeat, it is not just confined to being a wedding photographer.

reason why i say this? two examples.

1. i continually get asked if i can speak chinese by my couples, becos generally i'm a pretty "ang moh" person, my english is spoken well and my couples worry that i can't speak chinese, to which i start speaking in chinese to them and they are appeased, and the reason is becos i need to be able to communicate to their parents or grand parents whom might not speak good or any english.

2. i had a friend whose wedding photographer was caucasian and she said she actually got stressed out when she had to translate everything the photographer said to her relatives whom didn't speak english. she even wanted to explain some things to him in chinese as her more comfortable language was chinese but she had to use PURE english.

so basically i'm trying to say, yes, no need to speak well to be a good photographer, but perhaps need to speak well to get jobs and to be understood.

You forgot teochew, hokkien, cantonese as well... it's not just chinese/english

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    like tat ar!! lucky i still know some teochew, hokkien, cantonese

thx so many senior help n tell urs experience...Thx again...

All u need is a standard zoom lens..eg..28-80...a flash( A MUST!!, dont have? die die go borrow one !!)....the rest is up to yr eyes...
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil:

no wonder my business so bad...

no wonder my business so bad...
    learn from Alan Dai lor, don't speak english, can shoot 200++ weddings each year.

Quote Originally Posted by GENO
    All u need is a standard zoom lens..eg..28-80...a flash( A MUST!!, dont have? die die go borrow one !!)....the rest is up to yr eyes...
    nikon 17-55 /2.8, sigma 18-50 /2.8, sigma 28-70 /2.8,nikon 12-24 /4 are normally wedding photographer will use... any other good lens for recommend?? thx...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by joey91
    nikon 17-55 /2.8, sigma 18-50 /2.8, sigma 28-70 /2.8,nikon 12-24 /4 are normally wedding photographer will use... any other good lens for recommend?? thx...
    No fixed good glass for weddings, photography is about style, use what you're comfortable with.

here's my "life story" of a weddnig photographer.

started out shooting three unpaid (only by angpow) weddings b4 i but the bullet and decided to go solo, so got my first solo wedding for i think it was $600. so the first 3 free + 1 paid wedding spans over hmm.. 6 months?

before that i was more or less OK with technical aspects of photography. equipment used was a non-pro dslr with non-pro lenses (if i remember correctly it was an s2 pro with afs24-85, sb80dx, back up with cp5700)

all this was done while i was working full time. while i got more weddings to shoot, it was still very little, as i was new and not well known. so within 12 months i think i shot at most 15 paid weddings, mostly via word of mouth. also sometime durnig these 12 months, i selected a couple's wedding to print as portfolio, and i also did a collage album of selected couples to use as a portfolio or showcase, always display your best work. i was lucky to come from a graphic design background so layout was quite easy for me.

the second year got more serious, i started to get mentioned in bridal forums but still worked off the venerable clubsnap webspace gallery as my online portfolio. nothing professional, but it gets the job done, and was never or seldom down (thanx clubsnap!!)

i started post whoring my pics, with couples' permission. to get known, u have to show ur pics, thick skin abit. but skin cannot too thick until lousy pics also post and hope for the best. this is one thing i cannot stress more, if your pics don't pass IN YOUR EYES, don't expect it to pass other pple's. couple that statement with another : be your own harshest critic, and you now know how i push myself.

i remember during my first few solo weddings, i was sh!tting my pants during the first march in, didn't catch probably how? they walk too fast then blur how? the spot light come on then exposure gone how? i was a total wreck ESPECIALLY at the first march in, but that's when good nerves and determination comes in. another thing to take note is that you cannot be self-conscious. if you are constantly thinking that pple are looking at wat u are doing and scrutinising you, u put extra unnecessary stress on yourself.

the rest of it is pretty much the same with anything in life. u want something u gotta go get it. it's not gonna land on your lap. technical stuff like marketing skills, ps skills, shooting skills all can learn and train, but attitude have to be from within. passion. and as jon has mentioned, you have to LIKE weddings THEN u have to like running a business.

i think i've shared this on CS b4.. but i'll say this again.

there were a couple of times during the speech at the banquet that it was so touching that i found myself listening intently to the couple, until i FORGOT to shoot. i was so consumed with the emotion that filled the whole room that i forgot i was the photographer. fortunately, i only missed a few tears from the mother and sisters, but recovered quickly enough to continue shooting.

i remember one speech vividly, where the bride was deeply grateful for her father for brining up three daughters single-handedly as her mother had passed on when she was very young. the father never remarried to respect his late wife. she was overjoyed that her father did such a great job of painstakingly bringing three girls up, but at the same time in tears that her mother wasn't around to witness the event. tears flowed unabatedly.

it is a very HUMANE subject, love. coupled with the complications of photography and running a business; this is NOT for everyone. i hope no one takes it lightly that "weddings are easy to make a quick buck". if you do not stress shooting a wedding, u are not giving due respect to a couple's once in a lifetime most important event.

p/s i'd like to mention against the concensus that i NEVER followed anyone to learn from them (the free shoots as second photographer was just a watch and see, i never did talk much to the main photog for fear of disturbing him). yes i've taken heed from advise from wedding photographers, and viewed images from them to see how weddnigs are shot, but i NEVER did follow a pro to specifically learn how he shoots. i see at least ONE advantage in that, and that is my style evolved by itself, not necessarily following anyone becos i never had that chance. of course, following a pro could help more than the way i did it, i don't disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    learn from Alan Dai lor, don't speak english, can shoot 200++ weddings each year.
    wat??

wah lau... no i don't ever want to do that!

Deregistered

started out shooting three unpaid (only by angpow) weddings b4 i but the bullet and decided to go solo, so got my first solo wedding for i think it was $600. so the first 3 free + 1 paid wedding spans over hmm.. 6 months?

before that i was more or less OK with technical aspects of photography. equipment used was a non-pro dslr with non-pro lenses (if i remember correctly it was an s2 pro with afs24-85, sb80dx, back up with cp5700)

all this was done while i was working full time. while i got more weddings to shoot, it was still very little, as i was new and not well known. so within 12 months i think i shot at most 15 paid weddings, mostly via word of mouth. also sometime durnig these 12 months, i selected a couple's wedding to print as portfolio, and i also did a collage album of selected couples to use as a portfolio or showcase, always display your best work. i was lucky to come from a graphic design background so layout was quite easy for me.

the second year got more serious, i started to get mentioned in bridal forums but still worked off the venerable clubsnap webspace gallery as my online portfolio. nothing professional, but it gets the job done, and was never or seldom down (thanx clubsnap!!)

i started post whoring my pics, with couples' permission. to get known, u have to show ur pics, thick skin abit. but skin cannot too thick until lousy pics also post and hope for the best. this is one thing i cannot stress more, if your pics don't pass IN YOUR EYES, don't expect it to pass other pple's. couple that statement with another : be your own harshest critic, and you now know how i push myself.

i remember during my first few solo weddings, i was sh!tting my pants during the first march in, didn't catch probably how? they walk too fast then blur how? the spot light come on then exposure gone how? i was a total wreck ESPECIALLY at the first march in, but that's when good nerves and determination comes in. another thing to take note is that you cannot be self-conscious. if you are constantly thinking that pple are looking at wat u are doing and scrutinising you, u put extra unnecessary stress on yourself.

the rest of it is pretty much the same with anything in life. u want something u gotta go get it. it's not gonna land on your lap. technical stuff like marketing skills, ps skills, shooting skills all can learn and train, but attitude have to be from within. passion. and as jon has mentioned, you have to LIKE weddings THEN u have to like running a business.

there were a couple of times during the speech at the banquet that it was so touching that i found myself listening intently to the couple, until i FORGOT to shoot. i was so consumed with the emotion that filled the whole room that i forgot i was the photographer. fortunately, i only missed a few tears from the mother and sisters, but recovered quickly enough to continue shooting.

i remember one speech vividly, where the bride was deeply grateful for her father for brining up three daughters single-handedly as her mother had passed on when she was very young. the father never remarried to respect his late wife. she was overjoyed that her father did such a great job of painstakingly bringing three girls up, but at the same time in tears that her mother wasn't around to witness the event. tears flowed unabatedly.

it is a very HUMANE subject, love. coupled with the complications of photography and running a business; this is NOT for everyone. i hope no one takes it lightly that "weddings are easy to make a quick buck". if you do not stress shooting a wedding, u are not giving due respect to a couple's once in a lifetime most important event.

p/s i'd like to mention against the concensus that i NEVER followed anyone to learn from them (the free shoots as second photographer was just a watch and see, i never did talk much to the main photog for fear of disturbing him). yes i've taken heed from advise from wedding photographers, and viewed images from them to see how weddnigs are shot, but i NEVER did follow a pro to specifically learn how he shoots. i see at least ONE advantage in that, and that is my style evolved by itself, not necessarily following anyone becos i never had that chance. of course, following a pro could help more than the way i did it, i don't disagree.
    That's why you're da PRO

so when course starting?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Errz
    so when course starting?
    You already so pro at Igloo liao no need to attend course one la

You already so pro at Igloo liao no need to attend course one la
    don't OT

No fixed good glass for weddings, photography is about style, use what you're comfortable with.
    thx Da King..
    still thinking how to choose my len for weddings... also consider the budget...

Default Re: how to be a wedding photographer??

I'm just curious.. Wouldn't a 17-40 f4 be more useful.. It's going to be risky using f2.8 is group shoots.. If the last few pple on either ends are not lined up properly, their pictures are going to come up blurr right?

Quote Originally Posted by smurfman
    you need a 17-55 f2.8, really need.
    as for wedding tag along and learn is the best option for u.
    forget about ladder please.

u need backup body and flash.

can consider sigma 18-50 /2.8 first,
    28-70 /2.8 not wide enough for many shots,
    12-24 not long enough for portraits shots,

untill you have another camera body, maybe can consider adding a 12~24, or 85mm later.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast