Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roadside Tailor

Default Re: Roadside Tailor

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet
    I would like to find out... how did you ask him to pose for you? Did you just ask him nicely?
    As I'm pretty thickskinned, I'd normally just go up and ask with a smile. But it depends on the situation, the subject and the kind of photos I want. Hope that answers your question..
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

Yes. That answers my question. Must be thick-skin.

i've been trying to take more street shots of people lately.

im hardly a veteran but usually i just act like im supposed to be there taking pictures. the more you look nervous the more suspicious you look.

also, you really have to participate and be involved in the scene. for this reason, i have stopped using zooms and "sniping" but gone wide angle and tried to get more eye contact and smiles.

i've never tried asking, usually i return a smile after our brief interaction.

It might have been better if you took the photo from the right instead of the left. He seems to be hiding behind his machine. Is there a reason why you didn't take from the left? The background perhaps?

The DOF should be a little wider to allow his machine to be properly focused too. Right now, only his face is in focus. The other parts of the photo are blurry.

And yes, I agree on the points made above. It could have been a great shot if he was talking, telling you why there wasn't any business, or showing you how he could work the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by xray
    It might have been better if you took the photo from the right instead of the left. He seems to be hiding behind his machine. Is there a reason why you didn't take from the left? The background perhaps?

The DOF should be a little wider to allow his machine to be properly focused too. Right now, only his face is in focus. The other parts of the photo are blurry.

And yes, I agree on the points made above. It could have been a great shot if he was talking, telling you why there wasn't any business, or showing you how he could work the machine.
    Hi xray, thanks for your comments. Actually on the left is the small alley of Desker Road but well.. Anyway the reason why I took the shot from the left was because I wanted to capture the roller of the sewing machine and the scissors and rulers as well..

And I thought a shallow DOF will work well.. Apparently not huh..

Quote Originally Posted by kentay
    i've been trying to take more street shots of people lately.

im hardly a veteran but usually i just act like im supposed to be there taking pictures. the more you look nervous the more suspicious you look.

also, you really have to participate and be involved in the scene. for this reason, i have stopped using zooms and "sniping" but gone wide angle and tried to get more eye contact and smiles.

i've never tried asking, usually i return a smile after our brief interaction.
    But sometimes you still need those telephoto lenses.. I still "snipe" from time to time..

i like this picture for what it is, good amount of details to keep my interest. imo no need to change anything

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    i like this picture for what it is, good amount of details to keep my interest. imo no need to change anything
    Thanks eikin, glad to know that you like it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12