Thread: Justifying *that* damned piece of overpriced plastic

Default Justifying *that* damned piece of overpriced plastic

Tweek and I finally took the plunge today and purchased the Stofen Omnibounce for our own respectively flash. However, I dunno if I'm convinced that damned piece of overpriced plastic is any better than a bounce card...

All pics are taken with S602, ISO160, f/10, 1/1000s (to cut out all ambient light) with Hoya +4 close-up. Flash used was Metz 32Z-1 set to highest automatic mode (f/11 on ISO200).

For reference, I shot 1 pic without any bounce card or Omnibounce. Just the special macro tilt available on the Metz set at -13 deg.

Reference shot:

Here are the rest of the shots:

Last edited by darkness; 13th December 2002 at 11:13 PM.

Ok, anybody wants to draw some conclusions??
    Last edited by darkness; 13th December 2002 at 11:13 PM.

The omnibounce isn't meant for this application. Use it in a small room with a subject and you'll see the difference.

azone did recommend using the Omnibounce for insect macros. If I'm not wrong, megaweb is using his Omnibounce for his insect shots as well.

How much did the omnibounce cost? And any tests with subject in a room would be great!!

Ok, tmr when I shoot Tweek and Tweek shoot me then we have some test results...

Talking

sorry ah ..............

me very blur abt wat iz an omnibounce n a bounce card ............ ?? ................

izzit the piece of plaztic or dont-noe-wat that u attach at your flazh............... ?? .............

can somebody pleaze explain to me .............

thank you very much ..............

Originally posted by YSLee
    The omnibounce isn't meant for this application. Use it in a small room with a subject and you'll see the difference.
    Could you elaborate pls?

Originally posted by shawntim

Could you elaborate pls?
    it simply means the omnibounce isn't designed for shooting extreme closeups or macros. that's not wat it is designed for, and there is no claim watsoever that using it will produce well lit macro or closeup shots.
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

it's called OMNI bounce.. supposed to be used in rooms so that light can reflect off the ceiling walls floor etc... to create and enhance ambient light... if u want to shoot macro use bounce card or multiple flashes or bounce tent...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Kiwi
    Guests

The Omnibounce to me is only for convenience and u wouldn't look so conspicuous with a bounce card, especially in a crowd. Otherwise, I can't understand how it could sell! It doesn't work for me...

well the 50mm f/1.8 was designed to be used to take photos...

but people use it as a very helpful lupe. If it works, why not?

Anyway darkness is just trying to do a comparison test lah, he is not trying to say that omnibounce must work very well for macro works.

btw darkness, Al-cheapo is spelt El-Cheapo...hehe
    you and your spelling

Haha Al Quade?

Anyway, I don't think paying so much for a piece of plastic is worth it. Long live bounce cards!

I understand that different ppl have different beliefs and views of the omni-bounce diffuser. So long as if you find it useful in producing better results for your pics, i guess even $100 for a piece of plastic is worth it. Many of you guys spent thousands for a piece of glass and micro chips (camera lens) right? If you can take great pics with it, by all means go ahead.

For me, I will not be able to take many of those insect shots I took before without the omni-bounce. Really.

Darkness, using the omni-bounce and take macros in a room is not a good way to test it out. Even without the omni-bounce, the flash will still bounce off walls and ceiling to achieve a somewhat similar effect. You have to test it outdoor.

Originally posted by Red Dawn
    it simply means the omnibounce isn't designed for shooting extreme closeups or macros. that's not wat it is designed for, and there is no claim watsoever that using it will produce well lit macro or closeup shots.
    I find that it's even worse with outdoors.. with the Omnibounce on my Metz32-1, I get super underexposed shots say in ROM porch daytime.. see only silhouettes from ppl about 3m away from me.

Originally posted by azone
    Darkness, using the omni-bounce and take macros in a room is not a good way to test it out. Even without the omni-bounce, the flash will still bounce off walls and ceiling to achieve a somewhat similar effect. You have to test it outdoor.
    Thanks azone, I was waiting for your justification on this issue... $28 for a piece of plastic is really expensive leh!!

Anyway, went to BG with Tweek today to test out the omni, will be posting pics after I'm done surfing CS first...

Originally posted by Tweek
    btw darkness, Al-cheapo is spelt El-Cheapo...hehe
    you and your spelling

Hey, but does it really matter!!!

Originally posted by shawntim

I find that it's even worse with outdoors.. with the Omnibounce on my Metz32-1, I get super underexposed shots say in ROM porch daytime.. see only silhouettes from ppl about 3m away from me.
    When you use the omnibounce you are supposed to compensate, coz the light from the omni will interfere with the sensor.

Anyway, it really isn't meant to be used on a direct flash IMO. For ROM/Weddings, most pple would use a bouncecard.