Thread: 2.5" Hdd

Default 2.5" Hdd

Hi,

am looking for 2.5' HDD to be fitted with a OTG casing with memory card slot, as a backup device and portable storage during trips. Need to know from users comments as to what are the brands to avoid. Was told by friends that avoid Seagate as, their 3.5" HDD had failed them.

If 3.5' HDD failed, still ok as I would have probably backed up. But since I intend to use the 2.5" as portable storage during trips, failure will cause great disappointment.

Need to know the comments froms users. How reliable are the Samsung or Hitachi 2.5" HDD ? THanks in advance for any inputs..

Default Re: 2.5" Hdd

Well, so far I haven't had problems with any HDDs except Seagate. So the only advise from me would be against Seagate. The rest is up to you.

I see. Thanks. Like what my friends were saying... get anything.. but seagate.. haha... But i'm puzzled... if its that unreliable, yet they are able to buy over Maxtor. Humm.. Maybe like Levono buying over IBM ??

lexcron
    Guests

Dear,

I am distributor of Digimate II Plus & Digimate III Plus ( www.lexcron.com ) , so far we test some harddisk Seagate , Samsung , Toshiba , Hitachi , Western Digital all don't have problem with ours 2.5" enclosure built-in card reader ( Digimate ) , but you must remember format the harddisk using FAT32 .

Quote Originally Posted by stonefish35
    Hi,
    am looking for 2.5' HDD to be fitted with a OTG casing with memory card slot, as a backup device and portable storage during trips. Need to know from users comments as to what are the brands to avoid. Was told by friends that avoid Seagate as, their 3.5" HDD had failed them.
    You can't avoid a brand based on one (or even several) failures. Truth is, all manufacturers are reasonably good, and wont make defective items. But truth is also that all drives, especially consumer drives, will fail eventually. How long it will take can't be estimated -- I had a Fujitsu drive, then the cheapest drive I could find, which ran 24/7 in my web server for six years until recently retired (not because of failure but because of my fear it would fail!). I have also seen drives from all major manufacturers fail within a few years. That's just the way it is...

Thanks, points noted. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyftk
    Well, so far I haven't had problems with any HDDs except Seagate. So the only advise from me would be against Seagate. The rest is up to you.
    why the present Seagate is give 5yrs warranty to the "new" HDD that they produce???

while other just give 1-3 yrs.

To get back the users' confidence in their products that Seagate had lost ?

Generally the longer the warranty period, the more reliable the hard disk are.
    If not, they will have to continue making the same capacity hard drive or
    have lots of spare if the failure rate is high.
    Most company would not want drive to fail as it cost more than just replacing it.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

Thanks for your insighful views.

From my experience with 2.5 I would say seagate is crap. Sorry for not being diplomatic but its the truth. IBM is average, and hitachi is fine, so is samsung (using it rite now). Samsung is v quiet. Seagate? No thanks, changed it 5 times, with within just a few mths, my seagate lasted longest was 1+yr. In my last purchase, seagate offered me a 5yr warranty, while samsung 3.
    But no thanks seagate. I'm saving the cost of transport and time.

thanks for sharing with us your bad experience.

Since so many pple shared, I also...

I have five 3.5" seagate drives, ranging from the 17GB era to futuristic 300GB, all still functioning well.

Have one 2.5" seagate 40GB, works excellent after a few trips overseas bouncing in my camera bag whereever I went.

What I had problems with were maxtor drives. They never seem to not fail me. I had three 40GB drives, 2 died after 1/2 and a yr respectively, the 3rd one giving me read errors.