Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Given a sum of money, wud u rather buy more gear or travel more for photography?

  1. #1

    Default Given a sum of money, wud u rather buy more gear or travel more for photography?

    Just like to hear your opinion

    I realised that after so many years into photography, I place less emphasis on upgrading gear...eg, for a sum of $2000,I would rather spend the money on a trip to australia for 1 week or 2 doing photoshooting, rather than getting an L-series lens.

    What abt u?

    Im not saying that good gear is not impt but to me, a camera is still a blackbox. A lens is still a group of glasses. What that impresses is still the quality of ur pic.
    I mean, if u look at a beautifully taken pic, wud u be more interested in finding out where the pic is taken, or would u rather know what equipment was used?

    For me, its the former

  2. #2

    Default

    Think there was a poll on this. I personally would prefer to spend the money on travelling. Camera is after all just the tool, not the objective.

  3. #3

    Default

    For me, buy only the things I need to use.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    given that i have a decent set of gear, i'd opt to go travelling... gear doesn't need to be the best, top-of-the-line, but should be enough for most photography needs...

  5. #5

    Default

    If I have the cash, camobia, vietniam, china will be my top choice.

    Just a hoversack and my E10....

    BUT.....

    * togu thinks of his wifey.....

    It's just a dream afteralll...

  6. #6

    Default

    Originally posted by Acieed
    Think there was a poll on this. I personally would prefer to spend the money on travelling. Camera is after all just the tool, not the objective.
    hehe, u still remember eh .

  7. #7

    Default

    travel... travel... travel... best to do it while you can physically...

    see the world... learn that your hometown is not everything

    someone once said: "the world is a book. those who don't travel read a page."

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    Originally posted by togu
    If I have the cash, camobia, vietniam, china will be my top choice.

    Just a hoversack and my E10....

    BUT.....

    * togu thinks of his wifey.....

    It's just a dream afteralll...
    You can swim there... since you got such a hard shell.
    Canon Lover :)

  9. #9

    Default

    for u who already owns a good SET of equipment, definitely no point spending the money for JUST nother piece of glass. I have only one lens and one camera...so still plenty of lenses for me to buy before I want to go travelling.
    DR KOH KHO KING

  10. #10

    Default

    Originally posted by Kho King
    for u who already owns a good SET of equipment, definitely no point spending the money for JUST nother piece of glass. I have only one lens and one camera...so still plenty of lenses for me to buy before I want to go travelling.
    Interestingly, you can never finish buying all the lenses that may interest you, right?

    How old or how long do you anticipate yourself buying the lenses first before travelling?

    Will age be your sole obstacle to travel then? But hey, who says old pple cannot travel :P

  11. #11

    Default

    i'd rather travel. Best is can stay overseas for a couple of months or yrs... Equipment buy so much....i doubt u'll be bringing so much stuff over when u travel. I guess many would want to travel light. A Fm2 with a couple of lens n a small flash good enough. Or a holga..

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Travel!

    I seldom get vacations so a non business trip is a real bonus for me.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  13. #13

    Default

    I'll first buy an SLR...

  14. #14

    Default

    Originally posted by Klause


    You can swim there... since you got such a hard shell.



  15. #15

    Default

    Originally posted by Larry
    given that i have a decent set of gear, i'd opt to go travelling... gear doesn't need to be the best, top-of-the-line, but should be enough for most photography needs...
    hm...on dat note, I tend to think that a suitable setup will consist of a good body(though not the most exp one) should be on the list.

    Carrying heavy lenses(such as fast lenses) are surely gonna be a backbreaking experience..

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    I have a pretty decent set of equipment, I'll travel with that money. After all, I am no collector. No point buying lens after lens, body after body and never take pictures.

    Regards
    CK

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio outskirts
    Posts
    754

    Default

    My dream trip is to take a flight to the UK and make my way across countries in Europe. Shld end in Turkey and then take a flight home. Wanna join me??

  18. #18

    Talking

    Originally posted by kongg
    My dream trip is to take a flight to the UK and make my way across countries in Europe. Shld end in Turkey and then take a flight home. Wanna join me??
    wow ............ not for me ............. hahahaha ........ still a student ....................

    but me would definitely like to visit France ................. n Vernice ..................


  19. #19

    Default

    Originally posted by kongg
    My dream trip is to take a flight to the UK and make my way across countries in Europe. Shld end in Turkey and then take a flight home. Wanna join me??
    don't mind! I was actually looking at a trip in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia then thailand n come back.....hehe me also student

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Johore Bahru, Malaysia
    Posts
    324

    Default

    I'll definately go TRAVELLING since my gear can do wat i want I wanna see more stuffs, experience more and snap more stuffs wif d equipment I've got!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •