Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: What is the meaning of the red words?

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: what is the meaning of the red words?

    learn something new everyday man

  2. #42

    Default Re: what is the meaning of the red words?

    hmmm...from what i tried last time, I tried street shooting using 28-105 hyperfocused once. this was what i concluded, might be wrong, might be right.

    The Red markings is to show the range where your lense will hyperfocus to infinity at the
    various focal lengths. Then, the aperture value will ensure the DOF that you want.

    Eg: move the infinity marking to Red Mark 50. Thus, (me assume) 10m to infinity will be the
    hyperfocus range for the lense, and sharpest will be between both markings.
    Then your selected aperture will determine the DOF that would be in the hyperfocused
    range.
    blog: inbloomphotos.wordpress.com

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: what is the meaning of the red words?

    Quote Originally Posted by khairi
    hmmm...from what i tried last time, I tried street shooting using 28-105 hyperfocused once. this was what i concluded, might be wrong, might be right.

    The Red markings is to show the range where your lense will hyperfocus to infinity at the
    various focal lengths. Then, the aperture value will ensure the DOF that you want.

    Eg: move the infinity marking to Red Mark 50. Thus, (me assume) 10m to infinity will be the
    hyperfocus range for the lense, and sharpest will be between both markings.
    Then your selected aperture will determine the DOF that would be in the hyperfocused
    range.

    hey berry, no lah the red marks turn out to be for infrared ah.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: what is the meaning of the red words?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    you can find it on almost all the old prime lens.
    my shooting weapons not that old and also not that many also.. first time i seeing this
    How fortunate for leaders that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

  5. #45

    Default Re: what is the meaning of the red words?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    come on lar...
    I'm not the only one shoot IR, anyway, nikon af lens don't have IR marking also.
    ED and APO lenses don't need IR markings because the focusing point is the same as visible light.

  6. #46

    Default Re: what is the meaning of the red words?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    this leads to another question I have in mind after reading catchlight's post that it was IR markings and 2nd confirmed by you. Why have markings for IR?

    very useful for catchlights but for others?
    Because the refractive index for the glass used is not the same for IR and visible light. This is a dispersion effect.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: what is the meaning of the red words?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    ED and APO lenses don't need IR markings because the focusing point is the same as visible light.
    well the 28-135 definitely not ED/APO. the magic drainpipe also have this marking, even though it uses UD elements.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: what is the meaning of the red words?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Because the refractive index for the glass used is not the same for IR and visible light. This is a dispersion effect.

    to add on, because IR being the longest wave, gets dispersed the most relative to the other wavelenghts.

  9. #49
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: what is the meaning of the red words?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    ED and APO lenses don't need IR markings because the focusing point is the same as visible light.
    yes, your are right, I forgot about this, also forgot about what kind of lens I use.
    just check the 17~55 and 18~70 don't have, and 50f1.8 have, and I remember saw it on the 24~85 f2.8~4 lens, but the tamron 90mm and tokina 12~24 don't have IR making also.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •