Thread: Macs no longer immune to viruses, experts say

Default Macs no longer immune to viruses, experts say

juz read this news from here:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12537279/

with the increase in popularity since mac integrated Intel platform to their OS X.xx, hackers have suddenly woken up to easy target.

good surfing practice & s/w maintainence still applies.

Default Re: Macs no longer immune to viruses, experts say

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper

with the increase in popularity since mac integrated Intel platform to their OS X.xx, hackers have suddenly woken up to easy target.

Who cares. What I want to know is why there's no eject button for the DVD-ROM drive on the G5

Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    Who cares. What I want to know is why there's no eject button for the DVD-ROM drive on the G5
    eh.. i think all macs do not have eject button for their cd/dvd drive.. you have to use the eject button on the keyboard..

but end of the day, Windows is still the most vulnerable to viruses and hackers
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Just install some anti-virus loh...

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper

i opened that link 4 times and each time my firefox had to shut down illegally
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by zeith
    eh.. i think all macs do not have eject button for their cd/dvd drive.. you have to use the eject button on the keyboard..
    Oh yes I know. But why? ;-) It's a design inconvenience.

i think they changed something at the server for yesterday's news. here's a snippet:

Benjamin Daines was browsing the Web when he clicked on a series of links that promised pictures of an unreleased update to his computer’s operating system.

Instead, a window opened on the screen and strange commands ran as if the machine was under the control of someone — or something — else. Daines was the victim of a computer virus.

Such headaches are hardly unusual on PCs running Microsoft Corp.’s Windows operating system. Daines, however, was using a Mac — an Apple Computer Inc. machine often touted as being immune to such risks.
    Apple’s iconic status, growing market share and adoption of same microprocessors used in machines running Windows are making Macs a bigger target, some experts warn.

Apple’s most recent wake-up call came last week, as a Southern California researcher reported seven new vulnerabilities. Tom Ferris said malicious Web sites can exploit the holes without a user’s knowledge, potentially allowing a criminal to execute code remotely and gain access to passwords and other sensitive information.
    “A lot of Mac users are in denial and have blinders on that say, ‘Nothing is ever going to get to us,”’ said Neil Fryer, a computer security consultant who works for an international financial institution in Britain. “I can’t say I agree with them.”

Kahheng- i think the eject button is hidden behind the casing ROM door. not really an inconvenience until the drive died with a disc inside, there's no tiny hole for u to poke to emergency eject it.

Wai- i dun agree. as long as the computer is not patched, its consider vulnerable. if u can view the pages, on pg2 there's this para "Behind the scenes, the virus also managed to hijack his instant messaging program so the rogue file was blasted to 10 people on his buddy list."

i guess the link is best viewed with IE, me using netscape 7.2 & its still ok.

I can lay my bets that this is a simple SMEAR campaign by Microsoft, who are shaking in their knees, now that their Longhorn project is taking so long to materialise.

Havent the MAC always been vulnerable to viruses?
    I dont see this as something new at all.

Sure, there are not many viruses for the mac (if you are a virus writer (i prefer the term, software developer), would you bother? so few mac users!)
    but dont mean there arent any.
    Last edited by michhy; 3rd May 2006 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tao
    I can lay my bets that this is a simple SMEAR campaign by Microsoft, who are shaking in their knees, now that their Longhorn project is taking so long to materialise.

my initial thots too until i stumble upon macworld news as well.
    http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/05/01/sans/index.php

here's another snippet from macworld for those who has problem viewing the page:

About 52 vulnerabilities were discovered in Mac OS X in 2005; 17 have been uncovered so far this year, said Amol Sarwate, manager of the vulnerability management lab at Qualys Inc., a Redwood Shores, Calif.-based security service provider.

The number of vulnerabilities reported last year was more than twice the number from 2004, when 24 flaws were discovered, Sarwate said. Out the flaws uncovered last year and so far in 2006, at least a third were considered critical, Sarwate said. During the past few months, users of Apple’s Safari Web browser also faced their first zero-day attack, which is an attack targeted at unpatched vulnerabilities.

Apple’s increasing market share and the company’s recent decision to build its systems around Intel Corp. chips have drawn increased hacker attention to its system, Skodis said. Similarly, Apple’s recent introduction of Boot Camp, which allows Intel-based Macs to run Windows XP, has also raised its risk profile, Skodis said. Though Windows XP runs in a separate partition on the Mac hard drive, it’s only a matter of time before malicious code becomes available that is capable of jumping over the two partitions on the hard drive, Skodis said. “It wouldn’t be hard to do,” he said.

better keep those OSes updated (XP incl).

no OS is safe.. even linux/unix has it flaws...
    just know what you are doing and allow only what suppose to go out to the machine and stop any services you dont need.
    at the end of the day.. its the user behind the machine who could make the machine immune or prone to attacks.
    just my two cents worth of rubbish. heheheh