Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone into home studio recording of music?

Default Re: Anyone into home studio recording of music?

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper
    if u ask him if he's happy with what he's doing... answer is probably no. the video industry today is full of crappy stuff, hi end stuff & fun stuff r more or less gone, esp with stiff competition from neighbouring countries. me in this line since '94 & i see its peak & fall... there still exist wedding videos & corporate stuff, but they r really no fun at all. used to be big bucks but its shrinking very fast.
    He seems to be pretty happy .. He gets to do a lot of documentaries and current affairs. He wasn't happy when he was in Mediacorp - overwork/underpaid. I think now his boss is better.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    He seems to be pretty happy .. He gets to do a lot of documentaries and current affairs. He wasn't happy when he was in Mediacorp - overwork/underpaid. I think now his boss is better.

thats good to hear. and not surprising that he is making more money than u, he's a boss. even docus & CA stuffs r shrinking in budget from MDA, so less money there again.

sorry to thread starter, i OT'ed.

thats good to hear. and not surprising that he is making more money than u, he's a boss. even docus & CA stuffs r shrinking in budget from MDA, so less money there again.

sorry to thread starter, i OT'ed.
    No he's not the boss but he gets paid pretty well.

wah, i also want to go to his co. to work. must be working very hard & lots of late nites.

wah, i also want to go to his co. to work. must be working very hard & lots of late nites.
    Hmm.. dun think his company is hiring now.. :P

Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    to be honest all these charts & specs do not really matter.
    wat i impt is wat u hear & wat best fits the job.

take for example miking a kickdrum.
    the usual would be an AKG D12, D112 or a Shure Beta52.

we have used a Beyerdynamic M88 for kick.
    that mic is originally intended for vocals & has a hypercardoid pattern.

also miking of an Er Hu.
    we have used a AKG D112 & gottan great results.
    so end of the day, let your ears be the judge.

there was this other time we tried miking a piano with GT tube mics, AKG 414, Neumann U87 for a live sound event.
    none seemed to work.
    end of the day we popped in a simple cheap Audio Technica & viola!!
    we got the sound we wanted.

do not let the specs get too much in your way.
    were you at the drum mic-ing course at "forgot-the-place-name-but-it's-next-to-parliament-house" gallery?

i thought sae used to have a good name, until too many grads flooded the sound market and happily used "Sound Engineer" in their name cards.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    were you at the drum mic-ing course at "forgot-the-place-name-but-it's-next-to-parliament-house" gallery?

i thought sae used to have a good name, until too many grads flooded the sound market and happily used "Sound Engineer" in their name cards.
    nope.
    dun think there is a need to go for that course.

Overused. Maybe they are unsound.

Just to recommended a place where such discussions are the order of the day:

www.soft.com.sg

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ansel
    Just to recommended a place where such discussions are the order of the day:

www.soft.com.sg
    been there.

feel some of them r wannabe.

no offence, but some of them really talk like big timers but they have not much of "liao"
    sorry.

Overused. Maybe they are unsound.
    ahah corny you..

markccm: i see.. i thought you would were of the one them teaching than the one attending.

Deregistered

nah, i dun do workshops.

sorry.

been there.

feel some of them r wannabe.

no offence, but some of them really talk like big timers but they have not much of "liao"
    sorry.
    isn't it just like here? we have new bird that think they are eagles? and others that just don't have the ink.. drifting OT liao..
    <EOT>
    ok lah.. end of the day.. at least that forum does provide some feedback for those who are clueless and a good place to pick up some tricks that are really good.

isn't it just like here? we have new bird that think they are eagles? and others that just don't have the ink.. drifting OT liao..
    <EOT>
    ok lah.. end of the day.. at least that forum does provide some feedback for those who are clueless and a good place to pick up some tricks that are really good.
    Yeah.. but everywhere is the same.. there will exist some people who will never learn..

so, is there anybody conducting a basic audio studio course or the companies that sells audio cards like Protools or Creative conducting any - free or otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil
    so, is there anybody conducting a basic audio studio course or the companies that sells audio cards like Protools or Creative conducting any - free or otherwise?
    Courses here quite useless one lah.. Mostly taught by incompetent people. Just grab some US magazines like Mix, Recording, Electronic Musician etc and pick up from there.. You'll probably learn more of the right thing.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 2nd May 2006 at 02:35 PM.

hey, glad to see audio recording enthusiasts here. i know of another photog here who used to dabble in this hobby as well.
    odd enuff i sold off my gear to get camera gear. now im itching to record and mix again
    give me a pen, and i'll give you my signature

Deregistered

Courses here quite useless one lah.. Mostly taught by incompetent people. Just grab some US magazines like Mix, Recording, Electronic Musician etc and pick up from there.. You'll probably learn more of the right thing.
    not really lah.
    not all....

still need hands on.
    book knowledge is not sufficient.

it is a technical art.
    head knowledge required but a good sense of hearing & an artistic mind still matters.

Quote Originally Posted by incubus
    hey, glad to see audio recording enthusiasts here. i know of another photog here who used to dabble in this hobby as well.
    odd enuff i sold off my gear to get camera gear. now im itching to record and mix again
    Me too.. I've got a Roland VS-890 digital multitrack, some behringer condensers, mic preamps and gates, a Roland SC-D70 and Calkwalk Home Studio and I haven't been touching them for ages too.. No time to play with so many things..

to be honest, most ppl over do their EQ.
    my ex-boss almost never EQs.
    only on the kick, bass & piano (studio environment)

live installation yes for speakers (dispersion angles & stuff), but mics not really.

speakers for live sound is a whole new world again.
    the typical mid honky sound of a JBL to the details of a d&b to the all rounded Kling & Frietag, to Nexo's bass to the unique caharacter of Apogees & Meyer or the dry Martin.

same thing with ppl arguing Countryman or DPA for theatres.
    and the RF reception of a Beyer as opposed to a Shure.
    I'm not surprised.. more than half of them are deaf anyway.. hehehe.. Sometimes when I walk into a shopping mall, I very surprised why the "sound engineer" doing the show is able to handle such intense SPL levels. It's like I have to plug my ears even when I'm more than 4 meters away from the speakers!

As for mics, sometimes knowing the frequency response do help in certain problematic live sound venues.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast