Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What, in your opinion, is an 'Abstract' Photo?

Default Re: What, in your opinion, is an 'Abstract' Photo?

Quote Originally Posted by lil_princess
    Cos I have no more inspirations...
    start your APAD lah....sure to have inspirations....

To me , " Abstract " is about line , curve and light in photography ... to pass off a portrait of living things as abstract doesnt really work for me

Cos I have no more inspirations...
    Congratulations!

Now that you are "empty" and devoid of "inspirations", go out and just photograph things that your heart fancies. Let things flow. Do things in ways that you did not or dare not do. Make mistakes.

Isn't it wonderful to fill that void with things that your heart longs for? Not "inspirations" which may be nothing more than mere imitations.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Congratulations!

Now that you are "empty" and devoid of "inspirations", go out and just photograph things that your heart fancies. Let things flow. Do things in ways that you did not or dare not do. Make mistakes.

Isn't it wonderful to fill that void with things that your heart longs for? Not "inspirations" which may be nothing more than mere imitations.
    Hey Doc. Thanks for your comment. But if I just go out there and take whatever my heart fancies, that doesntm ean the photos will be that 'abstrract' what.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    start your APAD lah....sure to have inspirations....
    I am not able to commit that leh... somemore nowadays I hardly online already~
    Have you read IT???

Quote Originally Posted by S11loop
    To me , " Abstract " is about line , curve and light in photography ... to pass off a portrait of living things as abstract doesnt really work for me
    I see. Well, I thought for a moment about pursuing Abstracts, but for the moment I've just about moved from that to still life. Ah well...I shall take things as they come.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Congratulations!

Hmm...as it may be said, 'In order to fill the mind, we must start by emptying it first.' Think that came from a trading card game that I used to play...who'd have thought?

... if I just go out there and take whatever my heart fancies, that doesnt mean the photos will be that 'abstract' what.
    i believe the most haunting abstract images are created by the heart, not the mind ... what your heart knows, you mind might not have known

Hey Doc. Thanks for your comment. But if I just go out there and take whatever my heart fancies, that doesntm ean the photos will be that 'abstrract' what
    It may not be.

Yes this thread is about "what an abstract is". But in the broader scheme of things, are "abstracts" all that is?

There are so many ways to talk/define abstracts, and that is why I shy away from giving a definition.

Blurry images of people walking.
    Sharp images of corners of something.
    Unrecognisaable images that nobody have a clue about.
    An image that summarises the whole.

And many more!

At the end, the way I look at it, for oneself, make images that are your natural vision, with forays into those that are not.
    Last edited by student; 13th May 2006 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    I see. Well, I thought for a moment about pursuing Abstracts, but for the moment I've just about moved from that to still life. Ah well...I shall take things as they come.
    I see , just take things at a time most importantly is to create photographs with the flow of yr heart just like what student have said ... thats where you will develop and work upon yr own style of expressing in photographs . Thats what i think

My thoughts on abstract would be....
    An outburts of many things all bought into one, the result being an abstract.

This is most likely not others ideas of abstract, but this is what I think of.

Unlike, a photo of a champaign glass with whipped cream and 2 sausages in it.

To me that is not an abstract, just a way of playing with your mind

The train coming through the wall (Salvadore Dali) to me is not abstract, just an interesting out-there thinking.
    (Sometimes I would like to know what brand of tea he drank).

If someone took a photo of a small piece of peeling paint on a wall, but it was not obvious, I would not think it was abstract. Just an interesting view.

So I guess, to me, an abstract is a jumble of many diferent things presented as one.

I never studied art, so I may be considered wrong in my thinking.
    But then, if we swapped eyes, would the colour blue still look like blue to me.

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123