Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I go for E500 or D200?

Default Re: Should I go for E500 or D200?

Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    Dpreview states 95% frame coverage

full frame view meh?
    It should be called 100% viewing in finder. The terminology used here is wrong. There is no such thing as a full frame view. If what JL1500k meant is a CMOS sensor that is equivalent to the 35mm film format, it should be called full frame sensor. Not full frame view.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    It should be called 100% viewing in finder. The terminology used here is wrong. There is no such thing as a full frame view. If what JL1500k meant is a CMOS sensor that is equivalent to the 35mm film format, it should be called full frame sensor. Not full frame view.
    even then the 30D is not a FF sensor.
    it has a crop factor of 1.6x

so in terms of sensor or VF also wrong.

so wat does he really mean by full frame view?

Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    so wat does he really mean by full frame view?
    I take it he doesn't know what he is talking about and that's why the joke, "Yes, full frame view but half frame sensor." Got it?

Deregistered

i get it, but cannot really consider it as half frame sensor.

anyway, we'll just wait for him to reply.
    see wat does he really mean.

Deregistered

To all you Nikonians here, including myself, please have some respect for Oly systems. I was never interested in Olympus since day one when I picked up photography. To me, it is either Canon or Nikon. That is until I met a friend of mine recently. He too is a Nikon seow with a full range of Nikon MF lenses and cameras, but lately he set them all aside and bought Olympus. From what he claims, Olympus offers better lenses (as in edge to edge sharpness and no color fringing), a nice 4:3 format which is about standard for most editorial and commercial shoots since Mamiya 6X7, lighter weight and so on...

I wasn't convinced. But out of curiosity, I did a research myself on Olympus system. And the more I did that, the more I love it! Would I buy the camera if I am investing in one? Absolutely! But since I am already using Nikon systems, I will let it go.
    Since when have we not respected the Oly system?

I think you ought to realise that most of us have been stating facts and have only been suggesting to go for the D200 and personally I've listed out the factors which matters more than just sharpness and colour fringing.

To all you Nikonians here, including myself, please have some respect for Oly systems. I was never interested in Olympus since day one when I picked up photography. To me, it is either Canon or Nikon. That is until I met a friend of mine recently. He too is a Nikon seow with a full range of Nikon MF lenses and cameras, but lately he set them all aside and bought Olympus. From what he claims, Olympus offers better lenses (as in edge to edge sharpness and no color fringing), a nice 4:3 format which is about standard for most editorial and commercial shoots since Mamiya 6X7, lighter weight and so on...

I wasn't convinced. But out of curiosity, I did a research myself on Olympus system. And the more I did that, the more I love it! Would I buy the camera if I am investing in one? Absolutely! But since I am already using Nikon systems, I will let it go.
    I nv disrespect Olympus systems.
    to me i just don't like 4:3.

like what espn said, we just listed out some of the external factors in the long run.

Go for what more suit for you and your bussiness and be happy there.

Coming from the mountain of the gods myself, I have to tell of the seduction of the dark side...it is a more complete system...

the thing is, if one does not need CLS, giant telescopes of lens, etc., then Oly has a pretty competent system. Their build quality for entry level bodies is very good, they have some very good kit lenses, some excellent budget conscious lenses, decent flash...but if one is looking to go beyond the entry level, at the moment, Oly doesn't have the solution...

as for the 4 is to 3 ratio, thing is, that's what non-square medium format backs use as well...have to crop shots to be printed, thus more post-process, but one would have more height to adjust crop, especially if not printing to 3:2 paper...

as to the lens being edge to edge sharp and stuff, well it comes from packing alot of pixels into a small surface...if one were to use Nikon glass on a 2x crop sensor, one would probably get edge to edge sharpness as well...as to the implications of this, well, don't think we want to go there...

so its the decision of the buyer, and in any case, as many have pointed out, it is certainly not a fair comparison...maybe the fabled E3, if it decides to appear, would be a fairer comparison... or between E500 and D50...

...That is until I met a friend of mine recently. He too is a Nikon seow with a full range of Nikon MF lenses and cameras, but lately he set them all aside and bought Olympus. From what he claims, Olympus offers better lenses (as in edge to edge sharpness and no color fringing), a nice 4:3 format which is about standard for most editorial and commercial shoots since Mamiya 6X7, lighter weight and so on...
    tell ur friend that he still can use his Nikkors on his Oly DSLR, dun let them go to waste. i m a nikon film user but have migrated to Oly DSLR, still using the old Nikkors via an adaptor. exposure is auto in "A" mode but focus & aperture setting is manual juz like the good old FM2 days.

camera is juz a thing, not biologically linked to u forever like ur mother, so can switch sys anytime u feel like it. like cars, u pay $60k but still can change anytime or scrap it at the end of 10yrs. i dun see any issue with changing sys like espn does.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    as for the 4 is to 3 ratio, thing is, that's what non-square medium format backs use as well...have to crop shots to be printed, thus more post-process, but one would have more height to adjust crop, especially if not printing to 3:2 paper...

as to the lens being edge to edge sharp and stuff, well it comes from packing alot of pixels into a small surface...if one were to use Nikon glass on a 2x crop sensor, one would probably get edge to edge sharpness as well...as to the implications of this, well, don't think we want to go there...
    that depends on what print size u r looking at. 12x18 is defintely a 3:2 ratio & requires cropping but 12x16 is full 4:3, A2 A1 & A0 also closer to 4:3.

i use the Nikkors on the E1 & i can attest that the Nikkors r not as sharp & CA free (reads: still useable image quality) as the Oly ZDs. but that is not going to stop me from using them also. recently juz bot a 500mm mirror on ebay cheap cheap, now having a lot of fun with it.

the crop factor thing i believe only applies to 35mm lenses. the Oly ZDs has an image circle that fits juz nice on the 4:3 sensor, so there's not really any cropping to talk about, juz like u dun say 35mm is 4x crop from MF, its a format by itself. i also believe this is what other manufacturers r trying to achieve, hence the special name for small image circle lens, DX, EF-S, DT, DA, Di, etc.

objectively speaking... if thread starter can set aside $2.8k for body only option, why compare with low end entry level? the semi-pro D200 will have more to offer than entry level in terms of AF speed, casted body, reliability, etc. like what theRBK has hi-lited, it wud be a fairer comparison if its Nikon D50 & Oly E500.
    Last edited by nightpiper; 4th May 2006 at 12:22 PM.

You r rights, I refering to full frame CMOS sensor and sorry for giving a wrong description.

Quote Originally Posted by JL1500k
    You r rights, I refering to full frame CMOS sensor and sorry for giving a wrong description.
    Iya, but 30D is not full frame..... There is crop factor 1.6x.....

Regards,
    Arto.

i like the E500 for it being a cheaper system to on the whole get started in SLR photography.

I was considering it and even the e330 before i settle on my current system.

Love the cheaper but yet many a times rather solid lens quality from olympus. The 4:3 format is also coming up strong backed by an increasing number of companies. such as the Panasonic Leica DSLR range(that's pretty formidable).

but eventually, i did not choose it. for 1 sole factor. The noise. I handle both e500 and e330 and even the e300 actually. did a thorough research on the noise level generated by all these camera's and decided, it was unacceptable for me as I like to shoot available light meaning higher ISOs then the Olympus system can offer me(within personally acceptable levels of noise). If you shoot day more often and don't think you'll be pushing your camera to any beyond ISO800 very often, then olympus is really nice

I think the Olympus E-1 pro camera wld be nice to choose tho if you don't mind the older tech and smaller MP but absolutely love the lenses that olympus has to offer. :P

oh.. in case u want to know, i chose a d70 in the end btw..
    Last edited by quinton; 5th May 2006 at 12:54 PM.

Hey people, thanks for the replies and commentaries, I've made up my mind and bought a Nikon D200.

Thanks Again!

Quote Originally Posted by matthiascr
    Hey people, thanks for the replies and commentaries, I've made up my mind and bought a Nikon D200.

Thanks Again!

Welcome to the dark side...
    next thing should get is a few SB800 flashes or R1C1... try out the CLS.
    and then follow by some lens like 17-35 for landscape, 28-70 for street/portrait, 70-200 for portrait/close up, 105 VR for macro.... etc. lots more.

Quote Originally Posted by matthiascr

Thanks Again!

why d200 it should be d2x.

Quote Originally Posted by longkangman
    why d200 it should be d2x.
    nvm.. meybe already order liao... just that waiting and use D200 first.

8R and 6R requires less cropping on 4:3 than 4R. In fact 6R is exactly 4:3.

So what's the trend now? More megapixels to print on smaller format, like 4R? With the cost of 5R and 6R coming down, I start to print bigger format recently.

3R was the standard yesteryears, now 4R, so, what's next?

2.0x is 50% of 35mm format, but how much smaller is 2.0x sensor vs 1.5 or 1.6x sensor?

Just choose the camera or system that suits you needs and budget.

then buy oly lor simple as that.

I go for D200 if I have the money
    Canon 7DMKII |7D| EF16-35 F2.8L II|50 F1.4|100mm F2.8L|Tamron 150-600mm|

as long as it suite your style, budget and produce the right image and printout that you prefer it is a good cam.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast