Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Budget Lens---- Need Advice!!!

Default Re: Budget Lens---- Need Advice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Can try 2nd hand shop.

Regards,
    Arto.
    not gonna happen.. ive seen 8 year old 70-200 F/2.8Ls going for 1700 2nd hand. theres one for sale now in shop next to CP for around that price.

Quote Originally Posted by redboy872002
    hahaha... actually its only ard $700 to $800 max.. so dun think can buy the 70-200 f2.8 as suggested by other CS-er ah? hahaa
    how about the 85mmf1.8?100mmf2.
    but for your standrd zoom i would go for the Tammy 28-75.

Cheers, Light.

yea definitely cant go wrong with tammy 28-75.

seriously considering between that tammy 28-75 and the good old canon 28-135 IS now... and still cant decide liao.. haha.. for price they are quite comparable, but not sure bout the quality though... U guys still choose the tammy??

well the tamron has not been compared unfavourably to the 24-70mm L in terms of picture quality.
    can see some reviews here in FM where users reporeted better PQ as compared to the 28-135 IS.
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...rt=7&thecat=29

so for me, that, plus the constant 2.8 > the IS and bigger range on the canon.
    Last edited by jdredd; 29th May 2006 at 07:56 PM.

Updates!! NOw would like to appeal to those PROs out there for some advises... i currently considering :
    1. sigma 17-70mm Macro DC
    2. sigma 18-50 EX DG
    3. tamron 28-75 f2.8

Please share your experience with anyone of these 3 lenses.. Please advise which one to pick as my budget is only 600+.. Many Thanks in Adcance bro!!

your range is a bit funny.. 25-70mm range & the 17-50mm range..

if you are looking up to 70mm + there are more choices than what you listed. tokina also have a 28-75.

similarly, tokina and tamron also have offerings in the 17-50mm range too.

and if you can consider a 17-50mm.... theres a 17-40 F/4L for sale in B&S for just a couple hundred bucks more than your budget. also can consider.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    your range is a bit funny.. 25-70mm range & the 17-50mm range..

if you are looking up to 70mm + there are more choices than what you listed. tokina also have a 28-75.

similarly, tokina and tamron also have offerings in the 17-50mm range too.

and if you can consider a 17-50mm.... theres a 17-40 F/4L for sale in B&S for just a couple hundred bucks more than your budget. also can consider.
    Actually my purpose is to buy a good walkaround lens.. And my friends advise me on item no. 1 and 2, for me to get a decent wide angle also.. but as i read lens reviews online, i came across this website where those ppl say tamron 28-75mm is comparable in quality with canon 24-70L.. so thats why im considering that piece of lens too.. Comments?

both the 17-50mm range and the 28-75mm range can qualify as walkaround lenses..

but there are advantages and disadvantages to both. 17mm is definitely wider than 28-75mm, but on a 1.6 DSLR, its not a true wide angle.

28-75mm, in some situations wont be wide enough, but 75mm gives you a nice amount of reach.

so i think you should decide first, which one you rather have - more reach, or a wider angle.

then once you settle on the range, then can think about which lens to get because there are good lenses to choose from in both those ranges.

for me, i went for the 28-75mm, because eventually, i know ill be getting a proper wide angle lens in the 10-22 or 12-24 range, so that fits quite nicely.

Well, for the 17-50mm range, which one is recomendable? (except the 'L' lens of course)

as i said, all sigma tokina and tamron all have just released 17-50mms.. but i havent seen any comprehensive reviews... although there is an active thread discussion the 17-50mm tamron somewhere else on this board...

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    as i said, all sigma tokina and tamron all have just released 17-50mms.. but i havent seen any comprehensive reviews... although there is an active thread discussion the 17-50mm tamron somewhere else on this board...
    Tamron 17-50 review by bob atkins.
    http://www.photo.net/equipment/tamron/17_50_Di/
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Tamron 17-50 vs sigma 18-50 ?? Who will win?

i suggest you take picture from the real set then compare and buy
    if some one says A > B but you got crap copy of A and best of B then B > A ?
    Last time when i search review on clubsnap to buy my 17-70, i've read on this forum that some ppl say the 18-50 is as sharp as their prime lens and that they sell off most of of the lens they have after getting 18-50. I almost go for 18-50, but finally go for 17-70 because it's 200+ cheaper. Also some ppl get the tamron say it's soft at 2.8 ... but some other ppl say totally different things.
    I think, if Tamron 17-50 vs sigma 18-50 have almost same specs, go for good copy with good image quality, no need to consider brand.
    There are ppl selling second hand set of sigma 18-50 in B&S ($550), you may wanna take a look and test.
    Last edited by htthach; 15th June 2006 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by htthach
    i suggest you take picture from the real set then compare and buy
    if some one says A > B but you got crap copy of A and best of B then B > A ?
    Last time when i search review on clubsnap to buy my 17-70, i've read on this forum that some ppl say the 18-50 is as sharp as their prime lens and that they sell off most of of the lens they have after getting 18-50. I almost go for 18-50, but finally go for 17-70 because it's 200+ cheaper. Also some ppl get the tamron say it's soft at 2.8 ... but some other ppl say totally different things.
    I think, if Tamron 17-50 vs sigma 18-50 have almost same specs, go for good copy with good image quality, no need to consider brand.
    There are ppl selling second hand set of sigma 18-50 in B&S ($550), you may wanna take a look and test.
    Well thanks alot for the advise.. Yup thats really what i'm facing now. one of my peers suggested 17-70 as it has nicer range and very suitable for walkaround, while the guy in the camera shop say better get 18-50 since 17-70 is soft at wide open.. Ya i guess should do what u propose.. Thanks alot bro!!

Yay!! got my sigma 18-50 alr!!! But exam is coming, so too bad cannot shoot for the next 2 weeks... T_T CANT WAIT!!! ;D

you got second hand or brand new?

Quote Originally Posted by redboy872002
    Yay!! got my sigma 18-50 alr!!! But exam is coming, so too bad cannot shoot for the next 2 weeks... T_T CANT WAIT!!! ;D
    i can help you shoot

you got second hand or brand new?
    2nd hand from my friend.. it is in perfect condition!!

Talking Re: Budget Lens---- Need Advice!!!

i can help you shoot
    Wanna rent from me bro? haha.. or trade in with L lens if you have?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast