Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Budget Lens---- Need Advice!!!

Default Re: Budget Lens---- Need Advice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by txv611
    If you do decide to try third party lens, make sure you buy them with warranty. My experience with the Tamron was disappointing. I had focusing problem and had to be sent overseas for calibration by the Singapore local agent. Waiting time >More than 1 month.

If you have the budget, buy the best lens you can afford. No point having many mediocre lens. I used to make such mistakes ... had a collection of cheap and mid-end lens that didnt work out well enough for me.

For indoor, you need f2.8 at least for versatility. The most affordable is the 50 mm f1.8 of course and it perform very well. For tele, suggest you save up and buy that 70 - 200mm f4L at least. I tried everything from Canon 70 - 300mm, 75 - 300mm, 100 - 300mm etc and found them lacking in various aspects. After started using L lens and having seen the diff in the contrast and sharpness, the rest was history ...

Either buy cheap cheap lens below $300 OR buy that entry level L at about $1200. No point spending on all mid-range lens that can adds up to quite a fair bit.
    hey thanks alot for the advice... Currently i have a 50mm f1.8, and now eyeing for a good walkaround lens.. Cos i realise that 50mm lacks wide angle aspect and i found out that i LOVE wide angle... So want to buy either one of these:
    1. tamron 18-200mm
    2. sigma 17-70 EX
    3. tokina 28-70 AT-X

All of these are the mid-range lenses that u mentioned i shouldnt buy leh... SO how? is there any lens that u can particularly recommend me other than the above-mentioned? MANY thanks in advance...........

sigma have a good 18-200 as well, you mgiht consider it with tamron 18-200. for tokina 28-70 AT-X, if you are going to buy new, then i suggest getting tamron 28-75, it seems to be sharper at wide open (i din tested it, only read reviews) for the same price. but if you getting 2h, 28-70 is easily avaliable at lower price than tamron.

If you wanna try out these lens, buy second hands .... therefore when you sell you wont lose much until you decide and settle for your long term lens.

Quote Originally Posted by redboy872002
    hey thanks alot for the advice... Currently i have a 50mm f1.8, and now eyeing for a good walkaround lens.. Cos i realise that 50mm lacks wide angle aspect and i found out that i LOVE wide angle... So want to buy either one of these:
    1. tamron 18-200mm
    2. sigma 17-70 EX
    3. tokina 28-70 AT-X

All of these are the mid-range lenses that u mentioned i shouldnt buy leh... SO how? is there any lens that u can particularly recommend me other than the above-mentioned? MANY thanks in advance...........

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    sigma have a good 18-200 as well, you mgiht consider it with tamron 18-200. for tokina 28-70 AT-X, if you are going to buy new, then i suggest getting tamron 28-75, it seems to be sharper at wide open (i din tested it, only read reviews) for the same price. but if you getting 2h, 28-70 is easily avaliable at lower price than tamron.
    hmm okay... but read reviews somewhere as well as the CSers' opinions, tamron 18-200mm seems better than sigma... and it has the macro feature if im not wrong..

Any other comments or experience to share ?

For all the big bros... please give me some insights... thanks!!!

1. tamron 18-200mm
    2. sigma 17-70 EX
    3. tokina 28-70 AT-X

Hmm u might be interested in the following:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=198205

I've dedicated an entire section to practical tips, advice and recommendations to choosing lenses from ultra wide to tele. All lenses recommended are value for money pieces of ard $1000 or below and represent superb value for money. I don't recommend ex. lenses like the 24-105 or 17-55 2.8 which I feel are out of the budget for most beginners, so no worries.

You might want to take a look. I'm sure you'll find the info useful.

vince123123
    Guests

I would second the recommendation to get a 18-200 all in one as your first budget lens.

Blog Entries

since you like and lack a WA lens why not get yourself one.
    maybe a nice 12-24

i'm getting the tokina, good price/quality ratio

if you get a18-200, try and get 2nd hand... resale wont be so good.

my first purchase was the tamron 28-75mm. very happy with it so far.. decent build quality and sharp. AF is not the fastest, but i dont do sports so doesnt matter to me.

but 28-75 confirm faster and better quality than 18-200 rite?

oh i shoot mainly sceneries, people, and concert performances... haha.. quite a range, isn it? so what do u think i should buy? and i also dont mind buying 3rd party lens.. yup.. thanks in advance bro..
    er friend,i think it will be v difficult 4 u to buy cheap lesn to shoot at concert performances as most are held at night or in dim indoor setting.cos of this,i think u hav to get lens wif big apertures;lens might be mroe expensive.why not u consider getting canon 50mm f/1.8.thought cheap its a v good lens.moreover if u wan to shoot people while on the move you should get lens that comes with IS when u are using tele.

Quote Originally Posted by corporal007
    er friend,i think it will be v difficult 4 u to buy cheap lesn to shoot at concert performances as most are held at night or in dim indoor setting.cos of this,i think u hav to get lens wif big apertures;lens might be mroe expensive.why not u consider getting canon 50mm f/1.8.thought cheap its a v good lens.moreover if u wan to shoot people while on the move you should get lens that comes with IS when u are using tele.
    hey corporal007, thanks for the reply!! oh as i said, i actually own a 50mm f1.8 already, and now considering of buying a zoom lens.. my options currently are tamron/ sigma 18-200, tamron 28-75, sigma 28-105 f2.8-4, or canon 28-135 IS... so what do ya think?? Any recommendations? thanks!!

how often you do low light w/o flash?

I would pick the 28-135 IS. It's a good walkabout lens and able to perform in low light. The IS helps alot!

Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever
    how often you do low light w/o flash?
    normally during concerts, where flash is not allowed... abt once every month i guess... the rest are just normal photography, where i need a good walk around lens... So which one u recommend me?

normally during concerts, where flash is not allowed... abt once every month i guess... the rest are just normal photography, where i need a good walk around lens... So which one u recommend me?
    70-200 F2.8

whats ur budget again?

Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever
    whats ur budget again?
    hahaha... actually its only ard $700 to $800 max.. so dun think can buy the 70-200 f2.8 as suggested by other CS-er ah? hahaa

hahaha... actually its only ard $700 to $800 max.. so dun think can buy the 70-200 f2.8 as suggested by other CS-er ah? hahaa
    Can try 2nd hand shop.

Regards,
    Arto.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast