Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a dell computer good?

What are the hidden costs of getting a dell computer? Seems like there is not a delivery charges but also freight charge. Also the price advertised may also be subjected to GST?

I am sick and tired of advising people NOT to get a dell.
    Now, I tell them to go for it! Yes! Go Go Go!

People learn best from their own mistakes.

Originally posted by Zoomer
    I am sick and tired of advising people NOT to get a dell.
    Now, I tell them to go for it! Yes! Go Go Go!

People learn best from their own mistakes.
    So what is your recommedation then?

Originally posted by Falcon
    Actually I am interested in the Dell dimension 2350 which is 1.8Ghz with flat screen 15'' monitor. Trying to save up space on my desk thus hoping to get a flat screen. Do you guys think it is worth getting?
    Umm... is that flat screen or LCD panel? There's a big (size) difference, you know?

-ptl-

For all those who doesn't know how to DIY, I personally feel Dell is quite alright. And cheaper, compared to other brands like Acer, HP, Compaq.

So what is your recommedation then?
    DIY! Do-It-Yourself, or get a friend to Do-It-forYou!

Don't buy from these simlim shops, most of them, especially the ones that gives out flyers at escalators are rather infamous.

If you *really* want to get from a shop, I recommend SuperPet. Their prices are slightly higher but they don't chop carrot head. Besides, they have excelletn after-sales support. Don't be fooled by superlow prices on some pricelists -they will just kok your carrot head on someother stuff that are overpriced/u dunno what is it for/whatever ways- the total costs will be roughly the same, for their cost price is also roughly the same for the whole of SLS.

Note that I am not afflinated with that shop, just got some great service from them.

Originally posted by ptlee

Umm... is that flat screen or LCD panel? There's a big (size) difference, you know?

-ptl-
    NOt too sure what is the difference. Care to enlighten?

Anyone know what r the extra charges for ordering the dell computer?

Anyone know what r the extra charges for ordering the dell computer?
    delivery charge.

NOt too sure what is the difference. Care to enlighten?
    As far as I know, they put as flat screen monitor, meaning only the screen is flat, ie. it's the conventional CRT monitors that weigh a ton, and takes up real estate on your table.

LCD panel means it's those sleek LCD monitors, which is perhaps what you were referring to in terms of saving space.

The following is my personal opinion:
    LCD panels 15" typically displays up to 1024x768 resolution, which is sometimes not enough, for both programming work, where several windows need to be opened at the same time for debugging & output proofing. For digital imaging (& video), again several apps are running, proofing, editing.

You may want to think about a display that can do 1280x1024 (or even better), just my humble opinion.

Have fun shopping.

-ptl-

Example of LCD:

Example of Flat Screen CRT:

Tks zoomer and ptlee for the explanation and examples.

maxtheevil
    Guests

Default wish u luck

just sold my HDD over the net to this NTU chap, who complained about DELL producs too.

anyway, to give u constructive advise,

1. DO NOT BUY ANY EXTRA PHERIPERALS FROM DELL

why? i bought my printer lexmark X73 from them at $273, when
    SIM LIM was selling at $213

if u dun believe, try comparing their Additional RAM prices, u realise that they are trying to chop your 'lamb' head off! ram ram...

2. Don't jump into the latest tech,

why? well, that said, it may seem silly, but between a 2.66Ghz and a 3.0Ghz, if there is a price diff of >$200, why not wait? cos, i must admit, that for mid-tech items, like the P4 2.4Ghz now, it is pretty cheap, definitely cheaper than SIM LIM,

3. Don't believe totally in what they say,

the chap over the line on software support ususally tell me it's not their area of concern for the software support, but would give u alternatives to other people they think u should call, bleieve me, this m'sians have a list of OTHER NUMS you should call, if not, they offer u silly advices like, reinstalling everything.

ok, as i am still furying over my DELL system, i hope i am not carried away by my total disappointment, and hopefully, u can be forewarned first... the road is yours

MAX THE EVIL

TKs max for your advice. Guess I need to think twice abt getting from Dell. Very difficult to find a company with good customer support nowadays.

TKs max for your advice. Guess I need to think twice abt getting from Dell. Very difficult to find a company with good customer support nowadays.
    Seriously speaking, if you need the service, don't go for most of the shops in simlim. Cannot make it. And don't go for these small wannabe sls shops at nearby places like Burlington, Tekka mall etc, most if not all are one.

Originally posted by Zoomer

Seriously speaking, if you need the service, don't go for most of the shops in simlim. Cannot make it. And don't go for these small wannabe sls shops at nearby places like Burlington, Tekka mall etc, most if not all are one.
    I realised that from past experience. This was why I am thought of getting fr DELL. But now seems like DELL customer service also cannot make it.

Dell is gd a reliable company.. Compared to Acer they are worlds apart..
    Considering price wise it is considerably cheap if u are not buying a gaming machine or dun want the trouble of building a diy

it is a recommended model besides it receives gd reviews

maxtheevil
    Guests

Default a last final remark, then i will hold my pc.

well, okay, looks like i did not help u put from what i said,

ok, let me try this,

i picture myself as u,

one who want to get decent service, plus decent PC at a decent price,

i think to ask u to go get a DIY is to ask u to get fed to the SIM LIM Wolves, i presume u dun have too much knowledge on PC's stuff

i recommend u do some homework at hardwarezone.com, dun believe everything they say, as they are SIM LIM motiviated too, but u can learn from their product reviews, etc,

next, armed with this knowledge, hopefully, look at the dell specs, choose one that FIT YOUR NEEDS!

well, you GOT TO KNOW YOUR NEEDS FIRST THEN

so, what i hope i can help u here is do u know your PC needs?

if u dun need firewire, great graphics, great sound, if u are not a gamer, then u really geet focus down to whatever u want to get, and look at what dell offers, and what u think u can get at that price from SIM LIM,

then commenced the next part, compare which one is cheaper, which one is of more value, weigh it's pros and cons, for SIM LIM, IF U KNOW WHAT U WANT, u pay gd price, for gd stuff, for dell, they provide a 3 yr hardware support, (just dun buy their sound system, ITS A FRAUD!) and on software support, dell offers minimal, sim lim, nill, while getting the basic PC from del is really great, as their price is great for 2nd tech sssssstuff (hope u know what i mean by that, as in if 3G is the in thing now, 2.4G is out, but 2.4G is not that far of isn't it? i know of pals who still use 166, ) so again, u decide, u make the informed decision, and may u choose the poison that best feeds u, and hopefully keeps u happy in light years to come, we know that won't happened, if not how do these companys swindle our money with products that last for a fleeting moment! only my S2 dun give me problem, actually it did, but it was the microdrive's fault.

till then, may the evil be with you

MAXXXXX ......

Default Re: a last final remark, then i will hold my pc.

Originally posted by maxtheevil
    while getting the basic PC from del is really great, as their price is great for 2nd tech sssssstuff (hope u know what i mean by that, as in if 3G is the in thing now, 2.4G is out, but 2.4G is not that far of isn't it? i know of pals who still use 166, )
    Problem with dell is that they like to fit their p4 2.4ghz computers with 5400rpm hard drives and 128MB of ram.

I'd rather get a Athlon 1800+, 120GB 7200rpm 180GXP and 512MB of ram. Performance will be much much better!

If you want to get dell, get it and upgrade the stuff yourself. Best if can get w/o harddrive, moniter, no speakers, no graphics...but well...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12